Roller Hockey League - reinventing the wheel. (20/20 Vancouver Voodoo)

Edubdesign

Last team up for the Northeast division of the RHL: Toronto's franchise. In the original RHI, the league's Toronto squad was called the Planets. Not only is that an awful name, they also had one of the worst logos I've ever seen in pro sports - so bad that I won't share it with you. Just know that if you go seeking it out... that's on you.

This team is called the Toronto Towers, after the city's skyline, skyscrapers and - of course - the CN Tower. The team wears black, shades of grey and gold - colours made synonymous with Toronto by Drake and OVO - and the alternate features a large front "6" to show opponents exactly what city this team reps.

ogwsqbC.pngrnGqgbV.pngPF9Aq8J.png

One division is left, that being the Northwest division. Five teams that I'm especially excited to share with you - we've got some things old, some things new and some things tacky as hell.

• Edubdesign changed the title to Roller Hockey League - reinventing the wheel. (15/20 Toronto Towers)
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big no on the 6, could be confused as a jersey number. Maybe a VI or tally lines or a logo with six stars or something else?

Also I think the Emperors hue needs adjustment, looks more purple to me than blue

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:08 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

Big no on the 6, could be confused as a jersey number. Maybe a VI or tally lines or a logo with six stars or something else?

Also I think the Emperors hue needs adjustment, looks more purple to me than blue

Hmmmm... good point. How's this as a compromise?

eMrUP58.png

We now move on to the last division - the Northwest division. Here's Calgary. Back in the day, they had a team called the Rad'z - I have absolutely no clue what that means. Instead, here's a new name and a good ol' fashioned western identity - the Calgary Cowpokes.

eSG4jrs.png4FzYXE7.png4wHHFu3.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to Roller Hockey League - reinventing the wheel. (16/20 Calgary Cowpokes)

Another team in the Northwest division - it's the Chicago Cheetahs.

The Cheetahs was the original name of Chicago's RHI team back in the 90s - I wanted to do something different, but I didn't have any ideas that didn't involve gambling or gangsters - we already have a team called the "Gamblers" and gangsters aren't exactly a marketable quantity these days, so Cheetahs it is.

The original Cheetahs unis were, as you'd expect, pure 90s cheese that aged poorly. Here's a more streamlined update. I did lift the Blackhawks' striping pattern (with edits) on the home, but the rest is all original.

mE5CkQ5.pngLZkiVvx.pngerljRDG.png

Love the Cheetahs look but the sleeves on the alternate sure need some fixing! I'd suggest adding some tiger stripes on there like what the Bengals do with their helmets. 

xFUdNmt.png

On 8/30/2021 at 3:19 PM, Kooky01 said:

Love the Cheetahs look but the sleeves on the alternate sure need some fixing! I'd suggest adding some tiger stripes on there like what the Bengals do with their helmets. 

Hmm... don't think tiger stripes would work for a team called the Cheetahs. I tried out a cheetah fur pattern on the arm panels there, but it looked even tackier than the design I actually tried out.

Anyway, let's do another team, shall we?

Minnesota had two RHI franchises, one called the Blue Ox and another called the Arctic Blast. Good ideas, but the execution, as it often was in the RHI, was lacking.  

Here's something new, based on the more successful of the two teams. Say hello to the RHL's newest team - the Minnesota Roller Bears. We've got cold colours in ice blue and white, a new polar bear head logo (with a M nose because why not) and a Northern Lights-themed gradient, fitting Minnesota.

s6FiYab.pngI1ydWQO.pngSJOYuQH.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to Roller Hockey League - reinventing the wheel. (17/20 Minnesota Roller Bears)

Two teams left - here's a team for St. Louis. The original RHI team was the St. Louis Vipers and I like that name - lots of good design and logo inspiration there, even if it's got nothing to do with St. Louis. The Vipers won the league in their final RHI season and the name has been restored in a fledgling roller hockey league that may or may not play.

I like the name. Let's work off it. Big slithering snake motif here, obviously, with a coiled snake logo forming an "S" on the front. The colours of red, black and yellow are still here, along with an alternate in 90's Blues colours.

Z0jO1Kp.pngHT95G1E.png2u4O5ib.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to Roller Hockey League - reinventing the wheel. (19/20 St. Louis Vipers)

Last design of the bunch is finally here - and it's maybe my favourite.

One of the most successful RHI franchises was the Vancouver Voodoo - they won four straight division championships and were a marquee team, arguably Canada's top team in the loop. When the team folded in 1997, it was a sign that the rest of the RHI weren't far behind.

So, let's bring them back.

The original Voodoo had one of the most amazing 90's-ass looks I've seen in any sport. I sought to modernize it and bring the brand forward - and for people hunting for nostalgia, the team has a throwback third sweater.

IVbpLrC.pngINQO78v.pngeFYwHtP.png

• Edubdesign changed the title to Roller Hockey League - reinventing the wheel. (20/20 Vancouver Voodoo)
1 hour ago, Edubdesign said:

Last design of the bunch is finally here - and it's maybe my favourite.

One of the most successful RHI franchises was the Vancouver Voodoo - they won four straight division championships and were a marquee team, arguably Canada's top team in the loop. When the team folded in 1997, it was a sign that the rest of the RHI weren't far behind.

So, let's bring them back.

The original Voodoo had one of the most amazing 90's-ass looks I've seen in any sport. I sought to modernize it and bring the brand forward - and for people hunting for nostalgia, the team has a throwback third sweater.

IVbpLrC.pngINQO78v.pngeFYwHtP.png

🤯 That is 90s

xFUdNmt.png

Archived