TSN flags

steve61

Maybe a bit of an OCD thing but for as long as I can remember when TSN has a Canadian flag in their score section, it's a bastardized Austrian flag with a maple leaf jammed in the middle stripe.  Other far more detailed flags (ie. Belarus) manage to be in perfect proportion but they just can't seem to get the home country right.  Instead of widening the middle stripe to the proper Canadian pale proportions they just cut and paste a leaf onto another country's flag.  

Then, I noticed during the Olympics that virtually all of the flags on their scoresheet are clearly cut and pasted over other countries' flags with the original flag still sticking out from behind the edges.  In the example below Russia is pasted over Norway, Switzerland is over Sweden, Denmark is over the Netherlands...etc.  

I know this is a small thing but I'm amazed that not one member the web team at TSN has noticed this or cared enough to fix it.  

Lar9R9L.png

zzPEfBm.png

On 8/24/2021 at 8:44 AM, steve61 said:

Then, I noticed during the Olympics that virtually all of the flags on their scoresheet are clearly cut and pasted over other countries' flags with the original flag still sticking out from behind the edges.  In the example below Russia is pasted over Norway, Switzerland is over Sweden, Denmark is over the Netherlands...etc.  

Not exactly.   Web development is what I do for a living, so here's an uninteresting explanation:

I did a little inspecting on the page, and they're doing something that's pretty common in the web world called sprite images, where a lot of tiny images are put into one image file in order to lessen the latency involved in loading a bunch of tiny images on their own; for example, this is the file TSN is using for the flags.  CSS box sizing and positioning is then used to show just the flag they want to display in each place.

So what you're actually seeing there isn't any sort of copy/paste issue, but rather a case of a small bit of the the adjacent flags appearing.  It's interesting as I zoom in and out on that page it appears and disappears; the portal size never changes, but the rendering does.  Browsers be weird, y0.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:44 AM, steve61 said:

Maybe a bit of an OCD thing but for as long as I can remember when TSN has a Canadian flag in their score section, it's a bastardized Austrian flag with a maple leaf jammed in the middle stripe.  Other far more detailed flags (ie. Belarus) manage to be in perfect proportion but they just can't seem to get the home country right.  Instead of widening the middle stripe to the proper Canadian pale proportions they just cut and paste a leaf onto another country's flag.  

Also, while I'm being that pedant:

The biggest issue here is that Canada's flag has a height-to-width ratio of 1:2, where a lot1 of national flags are closer to 2:3.  So in order to have all the flags appear to be the same size, they have to fudge it a bit.  (Also, since you mentioned the flag of Belarus, it's also officially 1:2, so the proportions there definitely aren't "perfect". )

Buuuuuut, they definitely didn't paste a maple leaf on the flag of Austria, given that the Austrian flag has horizontal stripes, as opposed to Canada's vertical stripes.  You could argue that they did that with Peru's flag, though.

But definitely not all.  For example, the US flag is officially 10:19.

POTD 2013-08-22

Way more detailed than I was expecting but thanks!  The Austria (yes, Peru) thing will still annoy the hell out of me as they also do that with full sized versions of the Canadian flag  but your sprite explanation for what at first appeared to be lazy cut/pastes somehow makes me feel less annoyed with the TSN.ca web crew.  You're right, when I zoom my browser to 175% the problem disappears and the borders are correct.   

Thanks again

zzPEfBm.png

On 8/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, -kj said:

Not exactly.   Web development is what I do for a living, so here's an uninteresting explanation:

I did a little inspecting on the page, and they're doing something that's pretty common in the web world called sprite images, where a lot of tiny images are put into one image file in order to lessen the latency involved in loading a bunch of tiny images on their own; for example, this is the file TSN is using for the flags.  CSS box sizing and positioning is then used to show just the flag they want to display in each place.

So what you're actually seeing there isn't any sort of copy/paste issue, but rather a case of a small bit of the the adjacent flags appearing.  It's interesting as I zoom in and out on that page it appears and disappears; the portal size never changes, but the rendering does.  Browsers be weird, y0.

Yup definitely the fun process of box sizing a sprite image.  They could have added some padding around the flags to help with this.  

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

They could have added some padding around the flags to help with this.

That's what I was thinking.  Too many make the mistake of packing a sprite just to save a few bytes.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived