The Best L.A. Players by Uniform Number

Sandy Koufax merits being in there at no. 32, even above the great Magic Johnson.

I really like that the group includes several other players from the Brooklyn Dodgers, including Reese, who played only one year in L.A., and Robinson and Campanella, who never played in L.A.  So the concept includes the Dodgers' entire history. Therefore, I must question the absence of Hodges (no. 14) and Snider (no. 4).

I like it that the entire 1970s infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey made it.  But I'm not sure about the omission of their teammate Sutton (no. 20).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Seems to be turning into a series per city.  Nice idea.  No #0 though. 😕

https://uni-watch.com/2022/09/12/the-best-players-by-uni-number-for-los-angeles/

spacer.png

I hate USC but they should be represented way more on there. Only two players? Same thing with the Raiders. The dude wasn't kidding when he wrote his choices were biased.

Some thoughts...

1 - Reese only played one year in LA. I'd go with USC baseball coach Rod Dedeaux.

3 - Carson Palmer. Maybe Chris Paul.

5 - Reggie Bush. C'mon man. 

10 - Landon Donavon. Wore 26 for half a season before he retired, 10 is his number. Probably will be Herbert eventually though.

11- Could be Matt Leinart but I think it should be Anze Kopitar. 

15 - Tim Salmon? Need some more Angels on there. 

16 - Marcel Dione. Both him and Gasol will have their numbers hanging in Staples in the future though.

30 - Nolan Ryan?

32 - Magic is the right choice but so many options it's crazy. Magic, Koufax, OJ, Bill Walton, Jonathon Quick, Blake Griffin (Eh), Marcus Allen (USC).

33 - Kareem with UCLA and the Lakers, easy choice. Sorry Marcus Allen (Raiders).

34 - I agree with Fernando over Shaq and Bo. 

36 - Newcombe only played one year in LA. How about Jered Weaver? Wore 36 for Angels and Long Beach State too.

42 - Jackie never played in LA but is from Pasadena and went to UCLA. I'm cool with it but you could go with James Worthy.

99 - Gretzky or Donald. I lean Gretzky due to being the hockey GOAT, his impact on hockey in LA, and Donald's career not being over yet. Such a tough one though.

There's a lot more to debate too. I don't even want to get into the higher numbers or numbers I don't know much about. LA has to be the hardest city to do this for with two teams in each major sport (including the Angels and Ducks, personally I count the Angels but not the Ducks) plus UCLA and USC. And the Dodger's Brooklyn history that LA really respects, I don't count that but the guy that made this did. It'd be cool to get one Clipper on there for representation, the Chargers even got one. 

22 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

I hate USC but they should be represented way more on there. Only two players? Same thing with the Raiders. The dude wasn't kidding when he wrote his choices were biased.

Some thoughts...

1 - Reese only played one year in LA. I'd go with USC baseball coach Rod Dedeaux.

3 - Carson Palmer. Maybe Chris Paul.

5 - Reggie Bush. C'mon man. 

10 - Landon Donavon. Wore 26 for half a season before he retired, 10 is his number. Probably will be Herbert eventually though.

11- Could be Matt Leinart but I think it should be Anze Kopitar. 

15 - Tim Salmon? Need some more Angels on there. 

16 - Marcel Dione. Both him and Gasol will have their numbers hanging in Staples in the future though.

30 - Nolan Ryan?

32 - Magic is the right choice but so many options it's crazy. Magic, Koufax, OJ, Bill Walton, Jonathon Quick, Blake Griffin (Eh), Marcus Allen (USC).

33 - Kareem with UCLA and the Lakers, easy choice. Sorry Marcus Allen (Raiders).

34 - I agree with Fernando over Shaq and Bo. 

36 - Newcombe only played one year in LA. How about Jered Weaver? Wore 36 for Angels and Long Beach State too.

42 - Jackie never played in LA but is from Pasadena and went to UCLA. I'm cool with it but you could go with James Worthy.

99 - Gretzky or Donald. I lean Gretzky due to being the hockey GOAT, his impact on hockey in LA, and Donald's career not being over yet. Such a tough one though.

There's a lot more to debate too. I don't even want to get into the higher numbers or numbers I don't know much about. LA has to be the hardest city to do this for with two teams in each major sport (including the Angels and Ducks, personally I count the Angels but not the Ducks) plus UCLA and USC. And the Dodger's Brooklyn history that LA really respects, I don't count that but the guy that made this did. It'd be cool to get one Clipper on there for representation, the Chargers even got one. 

On second thought, 34 has to be Shaq.