North America Pro Soccer 2024

Brian in Boston

On 6/9/2024 at 12:46 AM, GDAWG said:

Chicago Red Stars at Wrigley Field

Bit of local drama with the Red Stars right now. Riot Fest threw a bitchfit about permits from the Chicago Park District, so they moved the whole thing to Bridgeview, where there was already a Red Stars game scheduled for that day. Apparently the lease says the stadium can bump any of its tenants if something better comes up, so they did, notified the Red Stars, who I guess just sat on it quietly until Riot Fest was announced two months later and only then got Mad Online. Now everyone is pissed at Riot Fest for moving to a suburban stadium that sucks to get to, at Bridgeview for bumping the ladies out of their suburban stadium that sucks to get to, and the Park District for not making Soldier Field available because there's a P!nk concert to prep it for. And now Bridgeview is saying the soccer team can use the stadium while Riot Fest uses the parking lot, which is insane. I think the Cubs already play that day, so no second game at Wrigley.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

Bit of local drama with the Red Stars right now. Riot Fest threw a bitchfit about permits from the Chicago Park District, so they moved the whole thing to Bridgeview, where there was already a Red Stars game scheduled for that day. Apparently the lease says the stadium can bump any of its tenants if something better comes up, so they did, notified the Red Stars, who I guess just sat on it quietly until Riot Fest was announced two months later and only then got Mad Online. Now everyone is pissed at Riot Fest for moving to a suburban stadium that sucks to get to, at Bridgeview for bumping the ladies out of their suburban stadium that sucks to get to, and the Park District for not making Soldier Field available because there's a P!nk concert to prep it for. And now Bridgeview is saying the soccer team can use the stadium while Riot Fest uses the parking lot, which is insane. I think the Cubs already play that day, so no second game at Wrigley.

That's why the Red Stars need their own stadium, even though there's probably going to be resistance to it if they want it to be publicly funded.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/pressbox/press-releases/usl-super-league-and-peacock-ink-multiyear-media-rights-agreement-as-part-of-new-and-expanded-nbcuniversal-streaming-technology-partnership

USL Super League will be on Peacock.

"Tampa, Fla., and New York, NY (June 13, 2024) – The USL Super League, a new Division One professional women’s soccer league beginning play in the U.S. this summer, and Peacock announced today that the streaming service will become the “Official Home of the USL Super League,” beginning in the league’s inaugural season. The multi-year agreement is the centerpiece of an expanded partnership with NBCUniversal that will see additional USL leagues and properties leverage NBC Sports Next’s SportsEngine Play streaming service and innovative digital products.

Starting with the USL Super League’s weekend August 17-18, every regular season and playoff match – 115 matches, combined – will be available to stream on Peacock for fans in the United States".

Its interesting that USL Championship and League One have a deal with CBS, while the Super League went with NBC and Peaccock.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

24 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

I saw someone suggest to move it to the Sox stadium as they are out of town. I mean it wouldnt be unheard of t for the Ricketts family to play a game at a rival stadium. NYCFC partially owned by the  Yankees play at the Mets stadium all the time.

Signature intentionally left blank

5 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Its interesting that USL Championship and League One have a deal with CBS, while the Super League went with NBC and Peaccock.

The NWSL also has a deal with CBS/Paramount, so that's probably why they shopped it to NBC/Peacock. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I saw someone suggest to move it to the Sox stadium as they are out of town. I mean it wouldnt be unheard of t for the Ricketts family to play a game at a rival stadium. NYCFC partially owned by the  Yankees play at the Mets stadium all the time.

That would make the most sense, but the Sox seem to be pretty stingy about non-baseball events, certainly more so than the Cubs, who these days will whore out Wrigley for anyone who can pay for it.

Fun collision of personal/professional interests. First of all, seems like a lot to ask of the 45-year-old dads with balky knees from their skateboarding past to stand in a parking lot all day long just to hear "Range Life". The NWSL reporters are saying that the team was only informed two weeks ago, which would seem obviously absurd. Everything that godforsaken stadium touches seems cursed.

It really was a tremendous waste. That and the Hoffman Estates arena that hosts AEW shows and tertiary arena-sports teams that fail in one year or less.

Ultimately, the Red Stars need to get out of there and move north, where college-educated white liberals run wild and free. I don't think Wrigley is a permanent option even with Laura Ricketts's ownership because they'll just get bumped for Imagine Dragons and the Foo Fighters instead. Evanston would be perfect for them if Northwestern would have them. I wouldn't put it past Rosemont to come up with something.