Airline Football Uniform Concepts - The New Spirit of Africa

edjb93

38 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

So far in this thread, I have noticed that if an airline belongs to Star Alliance, SkyTeam, or Oneworld, the logo for that alliance can be usually found on the same parts of the uniform as the league logo on a typical professional gridiron football team's uniform or the conference logo on a typical US college football team's uniform.

Personally, I find that small touch to be a very nice flourish of detail.

I actually placed the alliance logo on the collar, similar to what's done in the NFL and with LSU and Florida, instead of the usual place for conference logos in college football. Anyway, thanks for appreciating that detail!

• Like 1

Has anyone alerted @tBBP yet? One of the first concept series I saw on this board was his airlines football league. (To be clear, I am not saying you ripped this idea off or anything, @edjb93. It just reminded me of the previous series, and I figured tBBP might be interested in seeing it.)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Has anyone alerted @tBBP yet? One of the first concept series I saw on this board was his airlines football league. (To be clear, I am not saying you ripped this idea off or anything, @edjb93. It just reminded me of the previous series, and I figured tBBP might be interested in seeing it.)

Man say whuuuttt??? Check this out! @edjb93, a concepter after my own kind!

Just so you know what @Ted Cunningham is talking about, my very first concept series ever on this board was the Airline Football League, way back in like 2006 or something. Nice to see this come back around dang near two decades (!) later! I'm actually half-curious now to go back and look at those early designs of mine.

Anyway, you've got some great work going here thus far. So far you seem to be focusing more on international airlines, which I most certainly did not. (Then again, back then, we actually had a lot more domestic airlines to pick from before they all cannibalized each other into the big 3+1 we have now, plus a random offshoot of others.)

I'll be watching this here...this is some good stuff!

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 1/19/2024 at 10:34 AM, Ted Cunningham said:

On 1/19/2024 at 11:28 AM, tBBP said:

Man say whuuuttt??? Check this out! @edjb93, a concepter after my own kind!

Just so you know what @Ted Cunningham is talking about, my very first concept series ever on this board was the Airline Football League, way back in like 2006 or something. Nice to see this come back around dang near two decades (!) later! I'm actually half-curious now to go back and look at those early designs of mine.

Anyway, you've got some great work going here thus far. So far you seem to be focusing more on international airlines, which I most certainly did not. (Then again, back then, we actually had a lot more domestic airlines to pick from before they all cannibalized each other into the big 3+1 we have now, plus a random offshoot of others.)

I'll be watching this here...this is some good stuff!

Whoa, I never even thought of that! I truly appreciate your comments regarding my series. Make no mistake, I'll honor and respect the legacy of the Airline Football League through my concepts.

CATHAY PACIFIC

I've been a fan of Cathay's overall branding since 1994, as that looks first-class (no pun intended) and chic, and I still prefer it over the 2015 redesign, which doesn't include red. Oh well, times really change, and brands around the world get simpler to accommodate technology. Rants aside...

The primary uniform is basically the fuselage design translated onto a football uniform. Eagle-eyed observers would see that the background of the brushwing logo on the tail is actually a halftone gradient, although in general, it's just a solid midnight green. I went with cyan-esque, light grey pants to symbolize the striping in between the white parts of the fuselage.

The clash uniform, on the other hand, is a tribute to its old "Asia's World City" livery, which is by far, one of Cathay's most beautiful liveries ever.

We travel all the way past 1994 with my throwback uniform, which is just the "green lettuce" livery turned into a football uniform. Honestly speaking, that livery evokes old-school East Asia, so I'm glad Cathay went with the brushwing. But who knows? Maybe we'll get a green lettuce comeback someday. Adding to the old-school feel of the uniform are the numbers on both sides of the helmet. I was originally planning to leave the sides blank, though.

All jerseys feature the logo of Cathay's majority owner, Swire, while the helmets feature both flags of China and Hong Kong, as the latter is a special administrative region of the former.

Nhmsrl5.png

ZQKSoPw.png

uGPFkAR.png

• Like 5

SAUDIA

One of the reasons why I came up with this series is because of this exact airline. In 2023, Saudia went through a redesign, which eventually resulted in a retro-inspired look. I thought that the retro striping would be a perfect fit for a football uniform, and so, I finally brought it to life.

Whether on a green or white background, the stripes remain the same. The final home and road outputs kinda evokes the Jets' uniforms during the height of the New York Sack Exchange—of course, without the blues and the lighter green. One quirk can be found at the top of the number on the front of the jerseys, as the green jersey contains Saudia's name in Arabic, while the white jersey has the English version.

The alternate uniform is taken from the 1996 redesign, where green was out and blue and gold came in. I went with the original 1996 version over the 2012 refresh (even though I used its simplified name that came with it over the full name from 1996), since its tail logo is much colorful. And yes, I even used the overall theme of the livery on the choice of colors for the jersey (sand) and the pants (white).

5n0nat1.png

vvQuD5E.png

RvbWaWZ.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Cathay and Saudia
11 hours ago, edjb93 said:

CATHAY PACIFIC

I've been a fan of Cathay's overall branding since 1994, as that looks first-class (no pun intended) and chic, and I still prefer it over the 2015 redesign, which doesn't include red. Oh well, times really change, and brands around the world get simpler to accommodate technology. Rants aside...

The primary uniform is basically the fuselage design translated onto a football uniform. Eagle-eyed observers would see that the background of the brushwing logo on the tail is actually a halftone gradient, although in general, it's just a solid midnight green. I went with cyan-esque, light grey pants to symbolize the striping in between the white parts of the fuselage.

The clash uniform, on the other hand, is a tribute to its old "Asia's World City" livery, which is by far, one of Cathay's most beautiful liveries ever.

We travel all the way past 1994 with my throwback uniform, which is just the "green lettuce" livery turned into a football uniform. Honestly speaking, that livery evokes old-school East Asia, so I'm glad Cathay went with the brushwing. But who knows? Maybe we'll get a green lettuce comeback someday. Adding to the old-school feel of the uniform are the numbers on both sides of the helmet. I was originally planning to leave the sides blank, though.

All jerseys feature the logo of Cathay's majority owner, Swire, while the helmets feature both flags of China and Hong Kong, as the latter is a special administrative region of the former.

Nhmsrl5.png

ZQKSoPw.png

uGPFkAR.png

Minus the alt, this would be a solid Eagles look

• Like 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

KOREAN AIR

With its sky blue livery, Korean Air has one of the most iconic looks above the clouds. To differentiate this with my KLM set, I went with a shoulder yoke that extends to the sleeves a la Tennessee Titans' old uniforms. Aside from that, I colored the NOB and numbers blue, similar to the color of the airline name's lettering on the fuselage. From the looks of it, the home and road uniforms are kind of inspired from the female flight attendant uniforms since 2005.

The throwback uniform harkens to the time back when the airline was still known as Korean Air Lines. The livery that came with it before the rebranding in 1984 really evokes the design trend among airlines from East Asia, specifically China, Japan, and the two Koreas. Breaking away from what I'm used to do, the helmet number is placed at the front.

And yes, I chose this specific number due to the exact date when Hanjin Group acquired the airline.

bpjGFzP.png

tevMk9a.png

cIz8vKS.png

Edited by edjb93
Updated home and road jersey design
  • Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Korean Air Update

ASIANA AIRLINES

South Korea's other major national airline has really gotten all-in with its color choices: there's the color palette of red, yellow, and indigo, and then there's warm grey. While the Korean Air-Asiana merger is not yet in its 100%, let's fully appreciate what we have now while it lasts.

That being said, I made the design from the tail of the current livery the primary element of the helmet and the jersey's sleeves. It also makes its appearance on the pants' side panels, even though its application there is small. With the smorgasbord of colors for Asiana, I had difficulties in choosing the color for the dark uniform. That's until I realized that Asiana's flight attendants and pilots wear dark grey uniforms (might be close to anthracite), and so I went with that color. Though the home and road combos you're seeing are the primary combos, both the jerseys and pants can be paired with other colors.

I don't know if it's just me or not, but Asiana's original livery is like a grayscale version of Korean Air's sky blue livery, judging by the white underbelly on both airlines. I went with traditional striping on my Asiana throwback alternate, which heavily uses the original warm grey.

BgbcLys.png

Ka1pkIj.png

4WfBCFh.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - South Korea's Big Two Airlines

FINNAIR

Since @Coiler brought up a hockey team from Helsinki, the timing is just perfect to go through the flag carrier of Finland.

In this set, I made the home uniform white and the road uniform blue, because white is the main color that's being used on both the national flag of Finland and the current livery of Finnair. The sleeves feature a slanted version of the Nordic cross, the key feature of the Finnish flag. It just also happened that the cross was used on older liveries of Finnair. If you look closer on the pants, the logo resembles the 1968 version, but it's actually a modern take: I enclosed the current tail logo in a circle. Finally, instead of placing it on the front, above the jersey number, I put the Finnair logo on both sleeves, much like what was done to Detroit Lions' current uniforms.

Speaking of Detroit Lions, I see the resemblance in colors comparing it to Finnair's retro livery called "Silver Bird". The tail striping becomes the primary striping of the helmet and the pants, while the cheatlines are featured on the sleeves.

fo2EShE.png

Zv7LyRE.png

scncqGl.png

• Like 6

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - The Nordic Way, Designed For You

AMERICAN AIRLINES

While its bare-metal livery is still the one that reminds me much about American, I can fully understand why the airline needs to change its livery, simply because of the main materials used to create the fuselage of most modern aircraft.

With that being said, I made the stylized stars-and-stripes from the tail as the primary design element in both home and road uniforms (sublimated on the sleeves) and especially on the helmet, since it defines the "new" American Airlines. I went with a red NOB for both home and road jerseys to create an illusion of not having the player name on the dark-colored jersey but having it in reverse on the light-colored jersey. Speaking of which, I chose light silver as my choice for the light-colored jersey and pants to conform with the current livery. Finally, even if the airline is known for using serif fonts, I went with a block font for the numbers and the NOB to highlight its originating nation.

The bare-metal livery is the main theme for my throwback alternate, and this also serves as a tribute to @tBBP's concept uniforms for AA. The differences between tBBP's and mine are: shoulder stripes a la Indianapolis Colts, block numbers, sock design, and the chrome helmet (mimicking the reflectiveness of the bare-metal fuselage). I tried my best to do the chrome application, alright. I originally intended this to be an all-silver uniform, but the white socks with the blue-white-red striping might make it out of place, so I went with a white jersey, which is somewhat a tribute to the old American Eagle livery.

The helmet back bumper features the slogan from each uniform's era: the current says "#GoingForGreat" (really?) while the throwback has the iconic "Doing what we do best" slogan.

XOjrWvv.png

yYEW23m.png

ZrKCoVK.png

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Going for Great

DELTA AIR LINES

The widget has been Delta's signature for a long time, and it's been heavily used in the airline's pubmats especially since the 2007 redesign. That's the overall theme I captured in my home and road uniforms for Delta. The pants feature an elongated version of the widget, which appears more like a spire or an obelisk. Just like in my Philippine Airlines concept, I gave these the pre-2006 Houston Texans treatment for the pants-socks combination, although I chose the traditional socks instead of the single-color ones that are prominent in NFL right now.

For the throwback, there are numerous choices, which include the Ron Allen livery and the Colors in Motion. However, most of you might have thought about the livery that preceded the Ron Allen scheme, and therefore, I went with that one. It's quite challenging to apply its overall design into a football uniform, but I did the best that I could. I instead chose white pants instead of silver, since my Korean Air throwback features a similar design, and I don't want to have redundancy as much as possible, especially that both airlines belong to SkyTeam. The widgets on the helmet and the sleeves are slanted, just like in real life, with the helmet decal version being larger than usual. I originally planned to have the enlarged widget decal to be placed at the back of the helmet, spanning to the sides, but the final output might have stayed true to the original.

QDEMMa7.png

EMpse01.png

leeuXLi.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Keep Climbing, Delta Is Ready When You Are
45 minutes ago, udubfan19 said:

this is a funny idea. whats next? fast food football uniform concepts?

Who knows, maybe I'll touch on that. But I'm just really fascinated with airline liveries. 😉

SPOILER ALERT: I'm in the process of doing an Emirates concept. It would have been an easy call, if not for the latest rendition of the UAE flag on the tail😩

EMIRATES

From its early years up to present, Emirates' livery has remained consistent: UAE flag, gold script, white fuselage. Since that's the case, I had to resort to the prominent football/soccer clubs around the world which proudly wear the airline on their shirts.

The home set is an obvious homage to Arsenal, but the color choice can also be linked to Benfica or ES Sahel. The road set, meanwhile, is a mix of design elements from Real Madrid, Olympique Lyonnais, and AC Milan.

For my alternate, I chose the airline's mostly blue livery for the Dubai Expo, which is, by far, the only special livery that doesn't feature the design elements from the main livery.

oywT6uB.png

LuKivry.png

952lYPn.png

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Fly Better
On 2/6/2024 at 12:20 PM, udubfan19 said:

this is a funny idea. whats next? fast food football uniform concepts?

This is unironically a good idea

Although instead of too much red/white/blue, we'd be having too much red and yellow (the colors designed to make one hungry)

And then of course the "unique" color schemes like Taco Bell, Popeyes and White Castle

BTW Arsenal Handegg Club looks great

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

QATAR AIRWAYS

Throughout its recent history, one of Qatar Airways' signatures has been its grey livery. And with that, I chose grey as the home jersey color, with maroon becoming the road jersey color. True to the livery, I paired the grey jersey with white pants, while grey pants come hand-in-hand with the maroon jersey. I put the enlarged oryx logo on both the helmet and the sleeves.

The alternate uniform pays tribute to the airline's early years, in which the livery that came with it was brought back in 2022 to celebrate the airline's 25th anniversary.

uHrkBdB.png

gGSWQZD.png

eHn9O4S.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1