NHL Military Classic

johne9109

Here's a quick one off. I was looking at NHL Outdoor Games and I saw the 2020 Stadium Series was at the Air Force Academy football stadium, but the uniforms had no ties, reference or even slight nod to the fact that they were at a military stadium. So that game the idea of a set of Outdoor Games that were at similar locations and had those nods to the military branches. Now I did not want to go overly military; just taking the teams design elements and adding in elements and nods to the military

First is the New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals in a take on the classic Army Navy showdown. I envision this game being at Michie Stadium in New York hence the Rangers. For the uniform I took cues from the Army's dress blues. I used the darker blue from the Rangers alternate for the jersey and equipment and then the Rangers traditional blue for the shorts. The logo is a melding of the Rangers shield and the Army Black Knights logo. Their opponent is the Washington Capitals; being the closest NHL team to Annapolis. The uniform shoulders replicate the ranks on an officers dress whites with some added striping to fill out the uniform. The logo is taken from the Naval Academy logo which doubles as a W. It then gets some Capitals stars and a banner and wordmark added below

NHLAN

The second matchup sees the Anaheim Ducks take on the Colorado Avalanche at Petco Park. Now I know I said it would be at military stadiums, but the Marines don't have collegiate teams anymore and I knew I wanted to do a white uniform for the Avs. If we really wanted to keep to the theming the game could return to Falcon Stadium in Colorado, but the Padres are a very pro military team so I could see it still working. For the Anaheim Ducks I color blocked the uniform in come different ways similar to parts of multiple Marine dress uniforms. I also promoted the yellow/orange that is in the Ducks anniversary logo as the Marines prominently use yellow as well. Speaking of that logo I decided to use it here as it replicates the roundel logo used at Marine Corps Recruit Depot. The Avs take their cues from crest of the Air Force Academy crest. I doubled the mountains form the Avs alternate uniforms an centered the C. The pattern of the Air Force crest is replicated on the jersey, but in the Avs colors.

ADCAMAF

Just a fun little exercise. Comments and critiques are welcome!

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

For Canadian teams, you could do a game in Kingston (home of Fort Henry and RMC or Royal Military College). 

This is practically in the middle between Toronto and either Ottawa or Montreal. There's a hockey history with the Kingston Frontenacs being a long-standing OHL team. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Is it just me or does the Avs maroon look the same shade as the Ducks purple in the image

They are pretty close,but it also kind of works with the Rangers and Caps sharing colors and then there being a linking color between the Ducks and Avs. Stadium games like to do weird stuff like that sometimes. It wasn't intentional 

ZUH86xc.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 8:16 PM, Karnage84 said:

For Canadian teams, you could do a game in Kingston (home of Fort Henry and RMC or Royal Military College). 

This is practically in the middle between Toronto and either Ottawa or Montreal. There's a hockey history with the Kingston Frontenacs being a long-standing OHL team. 

I would do maybe Edmonton vs Winnipeg, obviously Winnipeg is an Air Force town and Edmonton has the base there that house the main reg force component of 3rd Div with 1 and 3 PPCLI there. 

but also Winnipeg has a few reserve units and were home to 2 PPCLI as well. 

maybe if Quebec City was in the league you could of had them do something for NAV RES as they are HQ’d there along with the Van Doos. 

Montreal has 34 Brigade group with nearly 7 infantry units alone in the city or area. 

Toronto is nearly the same as Montreal. 

Calgary and Vancouver has a few units too but for Vancouver you could do something Navy related as well. 

Ottawa has 33 Brigade but more interestingly the new 3rd Space Div so maybe a new concept there, as a Sens fan it would be cool to see a Marvin the Martian crossover here like Lalime. 

zyyMk1d.png