The State of the Uniforms is Not Good: An MLB Concept Series

colinturner95

On 5/29/2024 at 9:12 PM, colinturner95 said:

RRF000X.png

030mFd7.png

Update number A was pretty easy. Went to the 465 shade of gold. the original shade of gold was the NO Saints shade which I thought would work well enough for Vegas Gold but yes it definitely was showing up more brown than it was gold. I also swapped the elephant out on the sleeve of the gold alternate for the poker chip and went back to just the A's logo. Oddly enough, I didn't change the gold and white arrangement on these green elements. The contrast was stronger here so I didn't feel like it needed altered. 

qNeEw7j.png

Update number B was also easy. Flipped the gold and white on the hats and jersey to improve legibility. 

I very easily could have left the Dodgers' home/away uniforms alone and been content with it. But my goal with this series is to at least do something to every uniform. Obviously not every uniform absolutely needs a drastic change (see Yankees' pinstripes). But for the Dodgers, the changes do come from history so I felt like it works without sinking the boat. 

These 2 Oakland and Las Vegas A's sets are great, although there's also a possibility that Vivek Ranadive is able to secure a winning bid for the Athletics and have them stay in their currently temporary home of Sacramento, California. 

gT1BtSs.png

Finally felt like I was in the right headspace to create again. 

iPgyUR9.png

Home - Away: The last time I took aim at the Angels, the first thing I did was get rid of navy. Didn't think it was needed. This time around, I wanted to see if I can make it work for them better, even with the MLB's noted red and blue problem. So what did I do? I got rid of navy again 🤷‍♂️. It happened by accident, which is a routine occurrence for me but it does pay dividends. 

• Headgear - So in getting the logos on the hat, I accidentally clicked on the wrong swatch and changed the navy to the team's dark red and I liked what I saw, so navy was replaced by a darker shade of the dark red. But the hats don't change much more than that from a design standpoint from the team's long time red hats. 
  • Jerseys - So an early idea was to use the City Connect as a base for a new direction, but after looking at it for an extended period of time, I realized how little they moved the needle for me. they're not good, but not bad. But I did take the sleeve stripe from it and the new roundel logo as well. Team's long time wordmark and number fonts stick around with gold added as the drop shadow & recolored to fit the new colors which dumps the long time red on red treatment on the red jersey. 
  • Pants/Socks - Nothing super wild on the pants. Single red stripe. Socks are solid.

7SaKmCy.png

Alternate - So recall that my previous comments about the Angels CC uniform. Now, I didn't want to go back to a grey uniform for the alternate or at all. So I borrowed the CC uniforms off-white color, adjusted a little for contrast purposes. 

• Headgear - No changes. 
  • Jersey - Structurally the uniform doesn't change. Actually, I think it's basically a color flip. 
  • Pants/Socks - also no changes. 

Halo Heritage - it was @MJD7 who did the PCL Angels + Disney Angels mashup first, and I loved it. Thought it was a great trapse through the Angels history. So inspired by that design, I wanted to make my own take on it. 

• Headgear - Navy/periwinkle with an LA logo lockup inspired by 40s era PCL Angels uniform.
  • Jersey - periwinkle uniform inspired by the 1956 PCL Angels shoulder stripe uniforms. Replacing the northwestern stripe is the team's triple stripe from the late 70s-80s. Smaller neckline stripe as well. Wordmark uses the current font, arced the same as the pullover era wordmark, with a similar dropshadow to the Disney era wordmarks. Boy that was a lot. Number font is similar to the wordmark. 
  • Pants/Socks - Pants are basically the pullover era's, now in periwinkle with a faux-elastic waistband and the triple stripe down the side. Socks come in navy, either solid or stirrup. 

Hanger Effect: All four uniforms use "Let's Go Halos". The home/away/alternate use the design with the gold gradient in the word Halos. The Halo uniform changes the design up to match the jersey wordmark a little closer. 

Batting Practice: 

• Hats - Same design as the regular hats, just with a white front. 
  • Tops - an early design idea for the uniforms. Taking the surfboard stripe from the City Connect release and running it asymmetrically from sleeve to chest with the Angels' logo on the left chest. Player number on the other sleeve. 

C&C welcome!

On 6/7/2024 at 8:34 AM, maxwasson said:

These 2 Oakland and Las Vegas A's sets are great, although there's also a possibility that Vivek Ranadive is able to secure a winning bid for the Athletics and have them stay in their currently temporary home of Sacramento, California. 

I don't know how much truth there is to that. Everything I've seen suggests that the temporary home in Sacramento would be more a test drive for potential MLB expansion to the Sacramento area. I've also seen a couple reports about potential fallout for Fisher if the A's don't end up in Las Vegas but at the end of the day, I just draw concept uniforms. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I remember loving your last Angels concept, and this one may be even better! The Halos are a great candidate to drop navy & go all-in on red & gold, and incorporating the darker red more to balance against those bright colors is a genius way to pull it off. I love your interpretation of the PCL x Disney mashup, as well, I'm honored I could provide the inspiration! 

As always, I can't wait to see what you have next in store!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I really like most of what you've done with the Angels. The yellow/gold trim is a great idea and something I wish the Halos would do in real life, and the Halo Heritage set is a real beauty. 

But something about the white "A" against the red cap doesn't look right for some reason. I might take the City Connect influence one step further and make the white front paneled BP cap the primary cap (and maybe go with a sand front paneled cap for the alt). 

On 6/8/2024 at 5:43 PM, colinturner95 said:

Finally felt like I was in the right headspace to create again. 

iPgyUR9.png

Home - Away: The last time I took aim at the Angels, the first thing I did was get rid of navy. Didn't think it was needed. This time around, I wanted to see if I can make it work for them better, even with the MLB's noted red and blue problem. So what did I do? I got rid of navy again 🤷‍♂️. It happened by accident, which is a routine occurrence for me but it does pay dividends. 

• Headgear - So in getting the logos on the hat, I accidentally clicked on the wrong swatch and changed the navy to the team's dark red and I liked what I saw, so navy was replaced by a darker shade of the dark red. But the hats don't change much more than that from a design standpoint from the team's long time red hats. 
  • Jerseys - So an early idea was to use the City Connect as a base for a new direction, but after looking at it for an extended period of time, I realized how little they moved the needle for me. they're not good, but not bad. But I did take the sleeve stripe from it and the new roundel logo as well. Team's long time wordmark and number fonts stick around with gold added as the drop shadow & recolored to fit the new colors which dumps the long time red on red treatment on the red jersey. 
  • Pants/Socks - Nothing super wild on the pants. Single red stripe. Socks are solid.

7SaKmCy.png

Alternate - So recall that my previous comments about the Angels CC uniform. Now, I didn't want to go back to a grey uniform for the alternate or at all. So I borrowed the CC uniforms off-white color, adjusted a little for contrast purposes. 

• Headgear - No changes. 
  • Jersey - Structurally the uniform doesn't change. Actually, I think it's basically a color flip. 
  • Pants/Socks - also no changes. 

Halo Heritage - it was @MJD7 who did the PCL Angels + Disney Angels mashup first, and I loved it. Thought it was a great trapse through the Angels history. So inspired by that design, I wanted to make my own take on it. 

• Headgear - Navy/periwinkle with an LA logo lockup inspired by 40s era PCL Angels uniform.
  • Jersey - periwinkle uniform inspired by the 1956 PCL Angels shoulder stripe uniforms. Replacing the northwestern stripe is the team's triple stripe from the late 70s-80s. Smaller neckline stripe as well. Wordmark uses the current font, arced the same as the pullover era wordmark, with a similar dropshadow to the Disney era wordmarks. Boy that was a lot. Number font is similar to the wordmark. 
  • Pants/Socks - Pants are basically the pullover era's, now in periwinkle with a faux-elastic waistband and the triple stripe down the side. Socks come in navy, either solid or stirrup. 

Hanger Effect: All four uniforms use "Let's Go Halos". The home/away/alternate use the design with the gold gradient in the word Halos. The Halo uniform changes the design up to match the jersey wordmark a little closer. 

Batting Practice: 

• Hats - Same design as the regular hats, just with a white front. 
  • Tops - an early design idea for the uniforms. Taking the surfboard stripe from the City Connect release and running it asymmetrically from sleeve to chest with the Angels' logo on the left chest. Player number on the other sleeve. 

C&C welcome!

I don't know how much truth there is to that. Everything I've seen suggests that the temporary home in Sacramento would be more a test drive for potential MLB expansion to the Sacramento area. I've also seen a couple reports about potential fallout for Fisher if the A's don't end up in Las Vegas but at the end of the day, I just draw concept uniforms. 

I'm pretty impressed with the Tan angels uniform, you made a concept look decent that I didn't think was going to be that good.

• Like 1