1995 Patriots Concept Jerseys!

Hello! I used to be a very active member of this site about a decade back. In addition to an art career, I run a sports memorabilia business. While researching these unique Pats pieces I recently found, I stumbled back onto this site, so I figured I'd share what I found!

GCOKsga.jpeg

Rg4tGzt.jpeg

In the early-to-mid 1990’s, the New England Patriots made several major changes to their uniforms across just a few seasons. After debuting the “Flying Elvis” logo & a new colorway in 1993, the team immediately changed their uniform design in 1994. The team ditched the contrasting shoulder numbers & logo-inspired pants stripe for a more traditional style, including their now-signature red facemask.

The Pats carried the same head-to-toe uniform design from 1994 into the 1995 preseason. However, when the regular season began, the team debuted a radically different look, featuring jerseys with giant shoulder logos, italicized numbers, & sublimated stripes down the torso. In addition to the aesthetic change, the Pats changed “suppliers” (sponsors), dropping the Apex One branding the team had used for the past two seasons.

Even as a kid, I always thought it was weird that the Pats adopted a jersey style that was clearly designed by - but never *supplied* by - Apex One. The Pats jersey was clearly derivative of several other Apex One designs, including the Cowboys famous “Double Star” jerseys & college teams like Wisconsin, Maryland, & Iowa.

I have uncovered two prototype jerseys from different stages of the design process, which likely took place during the summer of 1995. The white jersey features cheaper single-layered screenprinted shoulder logos & ribbed twill numbers. The collar features a red-blue-red striping pattern which, like the number font/style, didn’t end up getting used in the final on-field design. The torso features the same sublimated stripes that the team wore through the rest of the 90’s.

The blue  jersey is much closer to the jerseys the Pats wore in ‘95, with one glaring difference - the number font. Did anyone else find it weird how 90’s retail Pats jerseys featured the wrong font? It appears the retail jersey font was based on this Apex One concept jersey, which matches the style seen on Champion’s screenprinted retail Drew Bledsoe jerseys from ‘95.

Each of these concept jerseys feature Apex One branding, supporting my theory that the design itself was an Apex One creation. After conducting some research, I learned that Apex One folded in August of 1994 & many of their contracts were picked up by Starter. Ultimately, the Pats adopted the base jersey style seen on this blue Bledsoe piece, but changed the striping & font for both the numbers & nameplate.

If you found this info interesting, follow my memorabilia page on Instagram @carlslocker & my art page @southtownscarl - thanks!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 1:00 PM, C-Squared said:

Hello! I used to be a very active member of this site about a decade back. In addition to an art career, I run a sports memorabilia business. While researching these unique Pats pieces I recently found, I stumbled back onto this site, so I figured I'd share what I found!

GCOKsga.jpeg

Rg4tGzt.jpeg

In the early-to-mid 1990’s, the New England Patriots made several major changes to their uniforms across just a few seasons. After debuting the “Flying Elvis” logo & a new colorway in 1993, the team immediately changed their uniform design in 1994. The team ditched the contrasting shoulder numbers & logo-inspired pants stripe for a more traditional style, including their now-signature red facemask.

The Pats carried the same head-to-toe uniform design from 1994 into the 1995 preseason. However, when the regular season began, the team debuted a radically different look, featuring jerseys with giant shoulder logos, italicized numbers, & sublimated stripes down the torso. In addition to the aesthetic change, the Pats changed “suppliers” (sponsors), dropping the Apex One branding the team had used for the past two seasons.

Even as a kid, I always thought it was weird that the Pats adopted a jersey style that was clearly designed by - but never *supplied* by - Apex One. The Pats jersey was clearly derivative of several other Apex One designs, including the Cowboys famous “Double Star” jerseys & college teams like Wisconsin, Maryland, & Iowa.

I have uncovered two prototype jerseys from different stages of the design process, which likely took place during the summer of 1995. The white jersey features cheaper single-layered screenprinted shoulder logos & ribbed twill numbers. The collar features a red-blue-red striping pattern which, like the number font/style, didn’t end up getting used in the final on-field design. The torso features the same sublimated stripes that the team wore through the rest of the 90’s.

The blue  jersey is much closer to the jerseys the Pats wore in ‘95, with one glaring difference - the number font. Did anyone else find it weird how 90’s retail Pats jerseys featured the wrong font? It appears the retail jersey font was based on this Apex One concept jersey, which matches the style seen on Champion’s screenprinted retail Drew Bledsoe jerseys from ‘95.

Each of these concept jerseys feature Apex One branding, supporting my theory that the design itself was an Apex One creation. After conducting some research, I learned that Apex One folded in August of 1994 & many of their contracts were picked up by Starter. Ultimately, the Pats adopted the base jersey style seen on this blue Bledsoe piece, but changed the striping & font for both the numbers & nameplate.

If you found this info interesting, follow my memorabilia page on Instagram @carlslocker & my art page @southtownscarl - thanks!

Cool post and it changed my view about the 1995 jerseys, as I thought it was Starter that designed them based on what I read in publications years ago.  I always thought the number font error was just due to how companies treated replica jerseys at the time (and interestingly, Madden has used the wrong/replica font for years for the 90s Patriots jerseys, even on PS4/PS5 versions. Sega NFL 2k had the wrong font too but nobody cared because it was closer than what Madden had in 2000). 

Apex One folded in August 1994? I think you meant 1995? The Pats wore the 1994 Apex One jerseys for the 1995 preseason before debuting the new 1995 jerseys against Cleveland in Week 1. 

And which Maryland jerseys did Apex One design? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

49 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Cool post and it changed my view about the 1995 jerseys, as I thought it was Starter that designed them based on what I read in publications years ago.  I always thought the number font error was just due to how companies treated replica jerseys at the time (and interestingly, Madden has used the wrong/replica font for years for the 90s Patriots jerseys, even on PS4/PS5 versions. Sega NFL 2k had the wrong font too but nobody cared because it was closer than what Madden had in 2000). 

Apex One folded in August 1994? I think you meant 1995? The Pats wore the 1994 Apex One jerseys for the 1995 preseason before debuting the new 1995 jerseys against Cleveland in Week 1. 

And which Maryland jerseys did Apex One design? 

I think they made Maryland's basketball uniforms. Champion made the football uniforms in 1994 and 1995. Apex One also gave us these, so it's sad to see them gone. 

59a4a38de6593.image.jpg?resize=1200,923

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png