LAST OF THE MONTREAL EXPOS JERSEYS!

amare32

What name/number should I put on the back of my Montreal Expos road jersey?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've made up my mind.

My initial inclination was to go w/ Pedro Martinez, who is a truly great and likeable player and who won the NL Cy Young award as an Expo in '97. But he left before they put the MLB logo on the back of the jersey, so there's a bit of inconsistency there.

Then, I figured I'd go w/ Vlad Guerrero. He's probably the most recognizable Expo of the last decade. But he left for Anaheim, which is a strike against him.

I thought about Rock Raines. He did wear the exact uniform I own. But most of his Expo career was spent during the 1980s. His appearance w/ the Expos in 2001 was clearly the twilight of his career.

I thought about putting my own name and number on the back, but that doesn't really honor the club as I'd like.

So my choice is...Jose Vidro.

Vidro is a career member of the Expos. He's been w/ the club since 1997 and has played almost 1000 games in the team's uniform. He's been a key member of the club -- one of the top two or three Expos since breaking in as a regular in 1999. He has been a quality performer, playing solid defense and hitting .304 for his career and posting very good power numbers for a second baseman. And he was loyal to the club by signing a four-year contract extension despite the chaos of the last several seasons. Jose Vidro was an Expo until the end.

Thanks for your help, everybody. I'm wearing the jersey tonight to show my respect for the team and their fans, who came out and gave the Expos a fitting farewell after thirty-five years of baseball in Montreal. It's a sad day. But real baseball fans will never forget the Expos.

Amare...excellent...EXCELLENT choice!I'm a Vidro fan myself and have been since he came out of nowhere in 2000 to make the NL All-Star team.I had him as my fantasy 2nd baseman that season(picked him up in May),and he has been the 2nd baseman on at least one of my fantasy teams every season since,including this season when he was the opening day guy for ALL THREE of my teams.When you get it customized you have to post a pic of it right here!

98Falcons.png

Amare...excellent...EXCELLENT choice!I'm a Vidro fan myself and have been since he came out of nowhere in 2000 to make the NL All-Star team.I had him as my fantasy 2nd baseman that season(picked him up in May),and he has been the 2nd baseman on at least one of my fantasy teams every season since,including this season when he was the opening day guy for ALL THREE of my teams.When you get it customized you have to post a pic of it right here!

You got it, robbman21. Second basemen have always been my favorite players. I as a huge Ryne Sandberg fan growing up. I loved Robbie Alomar during the Toronto years. And my all-time favorite Diamondback is Junior Spivey, whose jersey I own. Vidro played on several of my best FLB teams and his shirt will make a fine addition to my collection.

Speaking of Spivey,I was able to meet him a couple of years ago.We have a common good friend,Bryant "Bry" Nelson.Bryant got to know him in the D-Backs organization and they are really good friends,and Bryant is a good friend and a former teammate of mine from our days with the Crossett Eagles and American Legion ball.I was kind-of disappointed that the D-Backs would trade him so quickly to Milwaukee,and Bryant has been playing in Japan.He came up for a cup of coffee with the Red Sox in 2002,so-far the only major-leaguer that Crossett has produced.

98Falcons.png

I've made up my mind.

My initial inclination was to go w/ Pedro Martinez, who is a truly great and likeable player and who won the NL Cy Young award as an Expo in '97. But he left before they put the MLB logo on the back of the jersey, so there's a bit of inconsistency there.

Well, I don't know about the likeable part. He's one of those guys you only like if he's on your team and even then that may be in question. I don't know if the Red Sox fans like him as much after he said he couldn't beat the Yankees and they were his "daddy". :P

that aside if you want Pedro you should get pedro, your reasoning about the mlb logo is what I call nit-picking. However, Vidro is a fine pick.

Is anyone allowed to have Youppi! on the jersey?

I think you could get the name "Youppi," but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to affix an exclamation point instead of a numeral.

that aside if you want Pedro you should get pedro, your reasoning about the mlb logo is what I call nit-picking.

Mmm...nitpicking.

Archived