Mirror Mirror on the walls

rmered

Which of these is worst?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for the Clown Suit as the worst. Argyle just doesn't work in sports. Unless it's the Highland games. Here are my rankings ......

1. Clown Suit

2. Dog's Breakfast

3. Hot Pink

4. Barcode Magpie

5. Barbershop

6. Spaceman

I actually kind of like the Lions guernsey. Maybe a bit much with the stripes. And Spaceman looks pretty normal to me.

BTW, who wore the Clown Suit and Spaceman?

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I voted for the Clown Suit as the worst. Argyle just doesn't work in sports. Unless it's the Highland games. Here are my rankings ......

1. Clown Suit

2. Dog's Breakfast

3. Hot Pink

4. Barcode Magpie

5. Barbershop

6. Spaceman

I actually kind of like the Lions guernsey. Maybe a bit much with the stripes. And Spaceman looks pretty normal to me.

BTW, who wore the Clown Suit and Spaceman?

Clown Suit, Hawthorn 1995.

Spaceman, Melbourne 1997.

Both are pre-season jumpers, only used in the equivalent of your exhibition matches.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

It's scary I know, but the Bears wore that "Hot Pink" (it was really maroon) jersey for years!

No, actually it wasn't that one.

The Brisbane Bears wore Maroon and Gold from 1987 to 1988.

In 1989, to bring their colours in line with AFL merchandise, they adopted Cerise (aka Hot Pink) and Gold.

This continued until 1992, whereupon they returned to Maroon and Gold, adding White to the mix.

This particualr version was their clash jumper, worn in 1990 in games against Hawthorn, and in all Melbourne games in 1991.

For further historical information on the History of AFL jumpers, see My Webpage

Even better news about how bad that teams was, they were called the Bears, and their logo was a Koala. The Koala is not part of the Bear family. It's closer to a wombat than a bear. You'd think Australians would know that!

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

What's the deal with the Barcode Magpie?

For exhibition games, we play a knock-out tournament, making them interesting.

It is now called the Wizard Home Loans Cup.

Many teams take the opportunity to release new designs as their Preseason jumper. Helps marketing dollars.

That barcode magpie is a design done by someone apparently on very serious drugs. They are obviously talented, but if only they'd used their talent for good, instead of evil.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

It's scary I know, but the Bears wore that "Hot Pink" (it was really maroon) jersey for years!

No, actually it wasn't that one.

The Brisbane Bears wore Maroon and Gold from 1987 to 1988.

In 1989, to bring their colours in line with AFL merchandise, they adopted Cerise (aka Hot Pink) and Gold.

This continued until 1992, whereupon they returned to Maroon and Gold, adding White to the mix.

Even better news about how bad that teams was, they were called the Bears, and their logo was a Koala. The Koala is not part of the Bear family. It's closer to a wombat than a bear. You'd think Australians would know that!

Ahh ok... I must have missed the cerise years ;)

They used to wear the predominantly gold jerseys most of the time, I remember that! :D And Warwick Capper... man he sucked for the Bears!

The Koala thing was just stupid as well.

The whole Brisbane Bears organisation was a joke until they moved from Carrara to the Gabba in 1992. Then they became basically the best run team in the AFL. They even did a superb job of their image when they merged with Fitzroy, with the jumper and logo. I think they may have the best jumper in the AFL now.

liverpool-1.png

I think they may have the best jumper in the AFL now.

And yet they're working every angle they can to try and change it.

They will have an Away jumper either next year, or the year after, and it'll be mostly gold, with blue and maroon.

What they are looking to do is make the Brisbane Lions representative of the Brisbane Bears, as well as Fitzroy. The feeling amongst the Brisbane supporter base is it's 'too Fitzroy'.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

The whole Brisbane Bears organisation was a joke until they moved from Carrara to the Gabba in 1992. Then they became basically the best run team in the AFL. They even did a superb job of their image when they merged with Fitzroy, with the jumper and logo. I think they may have the best jumper in the AFL now.

I like Brisbane's the best, too. That and the Kangaroos away guernsey. Mostly because of the colors.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

What's the deal with the Barcode Magpie?

For exhibition games, we play a knock-out tournament, making them interesting.

It is now called the Wizard Home Loans Cup.

Many teams take the opportunity to release new designs as their Preseason jumper. Helps marketing dollars.

That barcode magpie is a design done by someone apparently on very serious drugs. They are obviously talented, but if only they'd used their talent for good, instead of evil.

What year was this?

I saw, I came, I left.

I think they may have the best jumper in the AFL now.

And yet they're working every angle they can to try and change it.

They will have an Away jumper either next year, or the year after, and it'll be mostly gold, with blue and maroon.

What they are looking to do is make the Brisbane Lions representative of the Brisbane Bears, as well as Fitzroy. The feeling amongst the Brisbane supporter base is it's 'too Fitzroy'.

Oh good another pointless away jumper, because they clash with so many teams now :rolleyes:

The supporter base in Brisbane can hardly complain can they? They've won 3 flags out of 4 straight grand finals and pack the Gabba out every second weekend. The Jersey is about the one single concession to the old Lions that they make. There is a line in the club song as well I think.

Any word on a Swans alternate jumper?

Are Essendon and Carlton definitely getting an alternate or will the AFL have to drag them kicking and screaming?

liverpool-1.png

Oh good another pointless away jumper, because they clash with so many teams now :rolleyes:

The supporter base in Brisbane can hardly complain can they? They've won 3 flags out of 4 straight grand finals and pack the Gabba out every second weekend. The Jersey is about the one single concession to the old Lions that they make. There is a line in the club song as well I think.

Any word on a Swans alternate jumper?

Are Essendon and Carlton definitely getting an alternate or will the AFL have to drag them kicking and screaming?

We agree on Clash jumpers then.

Don't get Primal started though, he doesn't agree.

Swans, I haven't heard.

Essendon and Carlton no plans for alternate jumpers.

Essendon will have to be made to get one by the AFL. The management want one, but they know that unless the AFL tell them they have to, their fans would lynch them if they just brought one out.

Geelong are also looking at a different away jumper, given the lack of success of virtually every Clash jumper they've released.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Essendon will have to be made to get one by the AFL. The management want one, but they know that unless the AFL tell them they have to, their fans would lynch them if they just brought one out.

This just annoys me because Essendon probably have more potential clashes than any team in the AFL... Melbourne, Carlton, Richmond... all with major problems for fans trying to watch the games.

liverpool-1.png

This just annoys me because Essendon probably have more potential clashes than any team in the AFL... Melbourne, Carlton, Richmond... all with major problems for fans trying to watch the games.

130 years they've worn that jumper against those teams.

Surely the increased speed of the game is compensated by the better ground conditions. Why did noone bring this up in the 70's when StKilda used to water thr ground to make it muddy before games there?

Or in the 80's when the MCG was a sea of mud from May to August?

I can't how there can be a clash now when there hasn't been for 130 years.

To me, it's an opportunity to sell more merchandise through the club store. But the clubs would all prefer to be told to have a clash jumper, as they would all get lynched by their fans if they brought one out for without reason.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Not being a native AFL fan I can sort of understand both sides of the debate, but I don't think the white/dark shorts is enough to differentiate Richmond and Essendon for instance. It's what... 2-3 games a season, no big deal. In those cases clash jumpers are good I think. But for a team with no clashes to have one just to make money is ludicrous.

It seems all the teams who don't need them have them, and the teams who don't need them do

:blink:

liverpool-1.png

Archived