A Cardinals Fan's Diary of Game 4

pcgd

Well, I?ve decided to keep a running commentary on the ball game tonight. This has the chances to be both the worst day of my life, and at the same time, the best. The worst, seeing my team, the team I saw win about 90% of those 105 games on TV this year, the team I?ve been breed to root for since birth, continue to play like a high school team and lose to the Red Sox in the World Series for the first time in almost 100 years.

The best, because I see the Red Sox finally win. I?ve wanted this every single year the cardinals weren?t in it, and I might finally see it at the expense of the cardinals. Damn.

(Note: because of work tomorrow, I won?t be drinking during this, therefore I?ll keep track of my cigs to calm the nerves?)

7:01 Cardinal Pregam show. Two announcers. One Black, One White. They are talking about the international spin on the series. To close the segment, the Black announcer says something in Haitian. The white guy says, ?I don?t know what you just said.? The black guy says ?You can say something in Hebrew.? Wow, Did that just happen? Akward pause lasts about 3 seconds.

7:05 Cardinal Pre-Game show. A lot of them of course are saying the Cardinals have a chance. I've got to say, they win this one, they?ve got a chance. If they win this, they?ve got a good pitching matchup tomorrow. Then back to boston down 3-2, and Boston starts thinking about the Curse. It ain?t over, til its over.

7:10 Pregame

They just showed a little movie set to Yellowplay on the Red Sox. I don?t like Yellowplay.

7:15 Anthem

Another country singer??? This is St. Louis, not Nashville! Lets see a freakin? jazz singer or something! And, fighter jets. Y?all go Cards!

7:16 Cig 1 to calm initial nerves.

7:19 Reqrium for a Dream music. Very nice touch. I love that movie.

7:20 Joe Buck. In the pre-game told the St. Louis station it was really hard to announce the game without bias. He?s done a good job of that. So has McCarver. I hate Fox?s broadcasts anymore though. God. Terrible

7:21 15th commercial in the first 5 mins. Jesus.

7:23 Kick the dog because he won?t?.shut?up

7:26 First pitch Strike to Damon.

7:27 Ballgame. Cig number 2.

7:28 At least Rolen can still field the ball?

7:30 Here you go Papi, we?ll put a guy on in front of you.

7:36 Strike three Varitek. We got out of it with minimal damage. Marquis looked pretty good after the Manny AB. Lets see if we can get something going in the bottom half.

7:39 Spanish Chevy Silverado commercial. Was I the only one that saw that???

7:40 Womack base hit! This is why he bats lead-off! Lets get that run back?

7:42 Ummm..sacrafice with the only hitter that?s actually hitting?? We?ll see?I know he was trying to get on with a hit?but still. Wasted out.

7:45 Wow. Rolen. That?s all.

7:46 I hate Leon.

7:52 I can actually hear ?lets go red sox.? This is awful.

7::55 I blinked. How?d the sox get on 2nd and 3rd?

7:57 Marquis gets out of a Jam. Bottom 2, Cards down 1-0

7:58 Haven?t seen a House M.D. Ad yet?is something wrong??

8:02 Do the Cardinals ever swing at the first strike??

8:06 Double Ortiz. La Russa looks like his mom just died.

8:09 Outstanding Play by Pujols! Nice block by Molina! Very Alert play..Keeps them in it?

8:15 They are still talking about that play.

8:16 Bases Loaded. Nobody in the Pen. Crowd gets into it.

8:18 Nixon 2 RBI double. I hear Boos. We?ve inherited the Red Sox Curse and their fans. When do we boo our own players???

8:20 Still?NOBODY IN THE PEN!! 9 STRAIGHT BALLS! More Boos.

8:21 Finally?someone in the pen. Wait?Al Reyes?!? Where?s Danny Haren! Come on LaRussa.

8:23 Lowe strikes out. Cig number 3

8:25 Uno?Dos?Tres?Catorse!

8:30 3 up, 3 down. Way to answer back Redbirds.

8:32 At least we can play some D! Nice scoop play Womack!

8:35 Molina and Martinez arguing?wonder what that?s about.

8:36 Marquis is trying to overthrow. There?s a great sign. And, somehow he gets out of it. Mark my words, if the cardinals don?t score in this inning, Boston World Champs 2004.

8:37 Good MGD commercial. Love those Miller/Bud commercials.

8:42 FINALLY! House M.D. Commercial. ??They? like to talk??

8:43 If Larry hits it out This place will explode.

8:44 Fly out.

8:45 Just missed Pujols K so they could show LaRussa arguing. 11 Straight retired by Lowe.

8:46 Cig #4.

9:00 Couldn?t stand it, stopped watching.

9:02 Finally, Another hit! Crowd?s into it now!

9:05 Foul Tip, bad call. But a hard one to make..too bad.

9:13 A cardinal starter into the sixth inning???

9:15 Bellhorn strikes out. Pat drops a deuce.

While in Bathroom: Read an article on Brian Cardinal, forward for the Memphis Grizzlies, in SI. He went to my HS, yay!

9:22 Pitch hitter, then Womack, then walker. Can we come back??

9:23 Not with a bunt to the pitcher.

9:26 Ooooo?2 out walk. Pujols strolls to the plate?

9:30 I hate my life. Pujols flys out.

9:35 Haren in now. Final line on Marquis?I can?t find it?the hell with it!

9:36 Edmonds ends the inning with a catch, lets get a basehit now!

9:37 Creed sings God Bless America, not so bad so far?.

9:38 Not bad. Different, but not as bad as I thought.

9:40 Walmart commercial. I just heard both ?no Diggity? and ?Tha Bomb? said about the electronics department. Wow.

9:44 Jim Edmonds is batting .077 in the series?.before that line out to Damon.

9:45 Six more outs?cig number 5

9:50 Double switching?Izzy the goat in now. Wonderful.

10:00 WHAT A PLAY BY PUJOLS! He will win a gold glove within 2 years.

10:05 I hate Cabrera?diving out on a pitch that wasn?t even close?I?ve already mentioned this before.

10:06 IZZY STRIKES HIM OUT! Huge Out! I can?t believe he got out of that jam! Lets get back in this thing!

10:10 bottom of the eigth. Down 3, Cedeno bats for Molina?.

10:12 ?and pops out weakly

10:15 Sanders walks. Sweet.

10:16 Luna for Womack? Are you serious? Womack has been here before! Why are you putting a rookie in NOW??? A rookie who batted .250 in limited time this year no less! And, big surprise?he strikes out. Is Grady Little coaching the Cardinals now?

10:20 3 outs til history. Cig Number six.

10:30 Of course fox plays the buckner play. Classy. Lets hope for Red Sox nation that its not a sign?

10:31 ?and after that Varitak gets a base hit.

10:34 Wow, Pujols hits it up the middle. Very similar to Boston?s comback against the Yankees in game 4?.

10:35 2 outs til history

10:36 Fox shows 2 guys wearing ?Babe? stuff and Edmonds strikes out right after that. I?m getting chills watching this. One Out til history?

10:37 History. Edgar grounds out to Foulke. Half of Boston just died, literally. This is truly amazing. I really don?t think, even if the Cardinals brought their ?a? game for this series, they would have won a game. The Sox were amazing in this series. The pitching was just too tough. I don?t think it was the Cardinals hitters. I mean, 3 starting pitchers games 2-4, no earned runs. The Red Sox are an amazing team. Congrats to Red Sox nation. I?m smiling because you guys deserved this.

Now, the question of the offseason, are the Sox the 2004 version of the ?97 Marlins? Just kidding! Congrats Boston!

Sorry man. At least you have memories of 1982.

I was not expecting the Cardinals to roll over and play dead. As weird as it is, I was hoping it would have been a little more competitive. The Cards were a better team than the Chokees. I mean Yankees.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived