Devil Rays Logo Question

CC97

I found one picture out of 85 (long) pages from the 1998 Devil Rays that shows that logo on a cap, and it was a headshot of a player taken on Feb 21 1998... every other head shot has the one we know was used.

249361.jpg

So after this long and boring research I've come to the conclusion that they were never used in a regular season game. The photo of Boggs is inconclusive.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

So after this long and boring research I've come to the conclusion that they were never used in a regular season game. The photo of Boggs is inconclusive.

wade_boggs990811.jpg

Without further conclusive photographic evidence this is the best I can do. The filename of the Boggs photo in question is "wade_boggs990811.jpg", of which you could assume the 990811 stands for 08-11-1999, which was a Devil Rays home game versus the Baltimore Orioles, a game in which Wade Boggs played third base.

Here is another inconclusive photo similar to the one of Wade Boggs which appears to show the cap in question:

Rays.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

(How can you go "retro" when you're a three-year old expansion team?)

In all fairness to the Devil Rays, they weren't going for a "retro" look, rather a more traditional look.

The design changes were made because the Rays sought "a cleaner and more traditional look," general manager Chuck LaMar said. Gone are the large devil ray logo, gradated multicolor scheme and purple trim.
"It's a far more traditional look," Major League Baseball design chief Anne Occi said. "Overall in baseball design the pendulum has swung toward that."

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

What we're skipping over here is how much better looking their original uniform was than their current one. (How can you go "retro" when you're a three-year old expansion team?)

That only shows how awful their current one is. The worst elements of a traditional uniform, with none of the charm.

Archived