Which 2012 Olympic candidate

OMMF

Which one of these do you like best?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NYC doesn't stand much chance of getting a vote IMO. Too much interntional hatred of the US around at the moment

Uhh... are you aware that China is hosting the 2008 Olympic Games? I think international hatred has little to do with it.

Actually diplomaticxally people don't mind China too much at the moment, they are much less communist than they uased to be (I know someone who was in China recently and described it as the most capitalist place he has be too, even more so than the USA) Its all about getting new markets.

However there is no reason to give NYC the games on economic reasons. And the USA is horribly unpopular in places with a big say on the host of the 2012 games (the middle east and Europe are both well represented on the IOC committee).

Britain's participation in the Iraq war is a reason for Paris being big favourites at the moment.

And if you don't think these things count, well, they do.

Well, it only comes down to one thing. That is money. Which ever bid city gives the IOC the most money will win the bid. And don't think it doesn't go on, it's just more secretive after Salt Lake.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC doesn't stand much chance of getting a vote IMO. Too much interntional hatred of the US around at the moment

Uhh... are you aware that China is hosting the 2008 Olympic Games? I think international hatred has little to do with it.

Actually diplomaticxally people don't mind China too much at the moment, they are much less communist than they uased to be (I know someone who was in China recently and described it as the most capitalist place he has be too, even more so than the USA) Its all about getting new markets.

However there is no reason to give NYC the games on economic reasons. And the USA is horribly unpopular in places with a big say on the host of the 2012 games (the middle east and Europe are both well represented on the IOC committee).

Britain's participation in the Iraq war is a reason for Paris being big favourites at the moment.

And if you don't think these things count, well, they do.

Actually I didn't just mean that it's a communist country... I also meant the Tibet situation.

I like them in this order:

1.London

2.Paris

3.NY

4.Moscow

5.Madrid (goes up if they add a bull to that red towel thingy)

I was just thinking about how the Braves got that new field after 96, and If New York were to get the olympics, would this mean new venues for NY teams? Damn that would suck if Steinbrenner got a freebee like that. lol

As far as where the games are for watching them. I like it in the US. so all the action is on live at a reasonable time, but then again, I like to root for underdogs. The only way I see the U.S. being underdogs in SOME capacity was if they go into a country where they are seemingly unpopular, like paris. The though of our KING james whooping on the english in england would be fun too. LOL Moscow is not as fun without communism, but that fun can be served in '08. Spain doesnt draw me much. Id rather see it in NY then Spain. But the earlier poster is right, lets give the rest of the world some time. We just had them in 84 and 96.

Personally, id like to see the summer olympics rotate on 2 years, off-setting with the winter, so we could have the action every year. I realize they need time to train, but it would be fun.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

I was just thinking about how the Braves got that new field after 96, and If New York were to get the olympics, would this mean new venues for NY teams? Damn that would suck if Steinbrenner got a freebee like that. lol

The only two facilities that will be new and then go to pro sports are the new Olympic Stadium on the West Side of Manhattan (will become the Jets' new stadium and be part of a convention center, sort of like the domes in Indy and St. Louis) and the proposed Brooklyn arena (for the moved Nets).

However, Yankee Stadium is listed as the site for baseball so it would probably get a good fixup.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived