NHL Scabs

CC97

I like the irony behind the fact that while the NHLPA (which is a registered union) will not tolerate scab players in the league, they are perfectly okay with having member go over to the clubs in Europe and play there, effectively throwing the local players off of their teams.

Gotta love that crazy hypocrisy!

How is that hypocrisy? The NHL players in Europe are not scabs. Scabs are workers who take the jobs of union employees on strike. Neither the NHL nor any league in Europe, as far as I know, is on strike.

I'm not calling the NHLers in Europe scabs (hint: read the post), but how is it NOT hypocrisy? They effectively want to play in the European leagues while the NHL is suspended and as a result, the local talent for those teams gets pushed out. Would the NHLPA tolerate the same scenario in North America? NO!

Hypocrisy.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

The hypocrisy, or irony if you will, is the fact that everywhere the NHLers are playing is a salary cap league.

Technically they are not scabs. It just represents how out of touch most of the higher paid players are. Their actions and comments show they care less about the lower rung players than they care about saving the system that enriches them and kills the overall health of the league.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

The hypocrisy, or irony if you will, is the fact that everywhere the NHLers are playing is a salary cap league.

Oh my lord, I never even thought of that, either!

The soap opera just gets better and better, doesn't it? :P

HibsSignature.gif

Would never work in a union town like Philly.  Remember the 1987 NFL Players strike?

All I remember from 1987 is pissing on the kindergarden classroom carpet and my teacher forcing me to clean it up!

Kindergarten? That's the year I graduated high school. I feel so old...

Boy you are really going to feel old when I tell you 1987 was the year I was born.

:D

Would never work in a union town like Philly.  Remember the 1987 NFL Players strike?

All I remember from 1987 is pissing on the kindergarden classroom carpet and my teacher forcing me to clean it up!

Boy you are really going to feel old when I tell you 1987 was the year I was born.

:D

A lot of users weren't even born by 1987 -- we have quite a few from 1992 actually, go Jays.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

1987, I was in 2nd grade. It was also then the first full season of a game show I loved called Double Dare. (yes, I still know the rules. ) :P

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I like the irony behind the fact that while the NHLPA (which is a registered union) will not tolerate scab players in the league, they are perfectly okay with having member go over to the clubs in Europe and play there, effectively throwing the local players off of their teams.

How is that hypocrisy? The NHL players in Europe are not scabs. Scabs are workers who take the jobs of union employees on strike. Neither the NHL nor any league in Europe, as far as I know, is on strike.

I'm not calling the NHLers in Europe scabs (hint: read the post), but how is it NOT hypocrisy? They effectively want to play in the European leagues while the NHL is suspended and as a result, the local talent for those teams gets pushed out. Would the NHLPA tolerate the same scenario in North America? NO!

Hypocrisy.

OMG Europeans playing in the NHL????

Oh wait. Nevermind.

So let's see if I have your point correct now.

(NHL locked out. Players want to play for money. Go to leagues that will pay them. Supposedly takes away roster spot from local player.) = Bad

(European player not making enough money or, in this scenario, Russian Super league gets locked out. Wants to make more or just wants to keep playing. Comes to NHL. In theory, taking a spot from an American or Canadian) = Ok

I was a sophomore in college at the time.

And Chris, take heart in knowing that at least you didn't have it as bad as that kid in Clemente's kindergarten class. Pissing on the floor is funny - running out of the bathroom with a crap-caked ass and begging to be wiped is not funny.

Trust me on that one, that's all I'll say. I'd hate to embarrass EZStreet any more than that.

Hypocrisy.

Its not hypocrisy at all. The NHLPA wants the best for its members. It doesn't care about hockey players in Russia or Sweden or wherever who aren't members of the NHLPA. (the N ational H ockey L eague Players Association.

If whats best for NHLers is to remain active by playing in Europe why shouldn't the NHLPA encourage it?

As for the Salary caps, well I assume the players are still being payed by there owners as this is a lockout and not a strike. So the players aren't suffering financially.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

No, the players aren't being paid. Otherwise they wouldn't be in Europe and Russia.

The only players that are paid are players who were injured and haven't been cleared to play again yet.

semperfi.gif

No, the players aren't being paid. Otherwise they wouldn't be in Europe and Russia.

The only players that are paid are players who were injured and haven't been cleared to play again yet.

NHLPA is paying their lockout wage isn't it? That's what I assumed. Nice job for those on the injured list and getting salaries, though.

HibsSignature.gif

NHLPA is paying their lockout wage isn't it? That's what I assumed. Nice job for those on the injured list and getting salaries, though.

There were some lockout wages through the union, but I think they've exhausted those. I also believe it was only like a few thousand a month.

semperfi.gif

"1987, I was in 2nd grade.  It was also then the first full season of a game show I loved called Double Dare.  (yes, I still know the rules.)"  :P

"Greatest Show Ever!!!!"

I second that.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived