Gauging interest in a new vector logo site

nitroseed

I mentioned something about this in the SLE thread, but I wanted to make it a little more visible so I could get a better grasp on how much interest you guys have about this idea.

I'd like to carry on the torch, so to speak, and create a new online resource for vector sports logos. I'm not quite sure about how much bandwidth is transferred a month on a site like SLE or technical details like that but what I do know is that it's a very valuable resource that needs to live on.

What I'm asking, basically, is how much interest you guys have in bringing this kind of thing back and if it would be supported enough to constitute me paying a little extra for my monthly web hosting to attain some more bandwidth to support it. I'm not asking for anything in return---this is just something I want to do for the benefit of our community. I know how great it was to be able to use SLE and I don't want anyone to have to do without it. Since I have the capabilities to carry it on, I'm looking into the possibility of doing so. I would, of course, need some people to help me compile these vector logos again, but that's a ways off.

So, what do you guys think?

If TheSLE is gone for good, then I say, God bless you for picking the ball off the turf and turning upfield.

I'd be very excited about a new vector logo site, and even if it meant slotting a coupla loonies in an envelope and sending it off every year, I don't think I'd mind.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Nitroseed - it would be great to have someone set up a site for vector logo downloads (is there REALLY another kind?? ;) .)

A couple of suggestions on bandwidth:

Some people are after individual logos - but for those who aren't, you could put together "League Packs" - a .zip file with every logo for that league organized into neat little folders by team.

You could also do "Weekly Update" packs for everyone who already has all of the logos on the site downloaded.

You still make the individual logos available - but only as either AI files or zips/sits of the AIs. Why? Because if you make gifs available, some jerk will waste your bandwidth linking to it as his avatar or something. Show a team's entire set as one gif, or even better, one SWF... to prevent such uses. Or put a watermark over the gifs. Or cut every logo into two gifs - in half.

It would even be cool to have a "fantasy" logo section, where people from the board can have their work highlighted - assuming they let people have their work in vector format.

I would volunteer any web design services I'd have time for. I could crunch graphics, help design, whatever.

My main concern is the amount of data transfered. I'm only allocated 10 GB of data transfer a month with my nitroseed.net hosting, which includes anything people download just by viewing the webpage. I can expand to 20 GB a month for a little extra money, which is no problem. But, I wanted to get an estimate on how much data SLE transferred on an average month just so I know how much bandwidth I need. Keep in mind, I need enough space to also run my company's site as well, though that won't go into full effect until October.

Can anybody get me a ballpark figure for the SLE's average monthly data transfer?

nitroseed

Posted on June 21 2003,00:13

Hahaha.... You have no idea how confused I just got from reading the word "loonies." Then I remembered that's what you Canadian folks call some of your money. I'm an American, if you haven't guessed yet.

"Loonies" are what we call our dollar coins and we call our two dollar coin ......... "toonie." :D

I guess the concept of dollar coins the in the US has not caught on very well has it?

I saw, I came, I left.

Nitroseed,

Your offer of "carrying the torch" is nice,

But rather than pushing theSLE out,

How about offering to help him.

If you read his front page.... he says theSLE's website....

" will require 400 megabytes of space and over 25 gigabytes of monthly bandwidth."

I'm sure these numbers are slightly exaggerated,

But in due time, he's probably right on.

... Mad Mac should be able to give some real numbers.

I wish Ryan would respond,

And let everyone know what's going on.

I got an email from him the other night.

TheSLE is in limbo for a number of reasons.

The main one being a database issue.

It seems Ryan's coding doesn't work on Mad Mac's server.

Therefore he needs a new host that supports MySQL and PHP.

Unfortunately, he's unwilling to pay for it.

A second issue is the legal matters.

Many College's have written him,

And told him to remove their logos or face legal action.

I know what he's going thru.

Hockeylogos.net only lasted 2 months before those damn NHL lawyers started sending me letters.

Sometimes, its just not worth the hassle.

theSLE is not officially dead yet.

There's a chance it will be back, but help is needed.

Lets just cross our fingers.

Please don't mistake me as trying to push the SLE out. I was under the impression that it was down and gone for good, and I just wanted to state my interest in carrying it on. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Ryan and all the people who make such resources available to us. If I can do anything to help, then I would love to do so.

Actually, Ryan's numbers for bandwidth might be right.  He was likely guessing of how much you need for the # of downloads he gets.  Remember, theSLE.com was up for 15-20 days at the most before it went down.  Nitroseed, good luck if you do go for it.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

If you read his front page.... he says theSLE's website....

" will require 400 megabytes of space and over 25 gigabytes of monthly bandwidth."

I'm sure these numbers are slightly exaggerated,

But in due time, he's probably right on.

... Mad Mac should be able to give some real numbers.

I have the real numbers - at least those from my domain - and based on what I saw, they aren't exaggerated a bit. If anything, the numbers listed are probably low.

Hosting a site like thesle.com was extremely resource-intensive, and while that had nothing to do with my decision to end my association with the site, anyone who wants to pick up the ball and run with it should take into account the massive amount of resources that it will take to operate such a site at even a fraction of the detail which Ryan was. ChrisCreamer.com, by contrast, is probably less than 1/4th as intensive as it pertains to space and bandwidth each month.

nav-logo.png

If Ryan or whomever operates this site, why don't you place a watermark on the raster preview pics to help keep the bandwidth issue in check?  It would definitely curb if not stop the remote linking.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived