David Stern: the village idiot

FiddySicks

Considering that games not even 15 years ago were consistently in the 120s and 130s, then, yes, the NBA is low-scoring.

Oh please -- the same people that are complaining that the games are low-scoring were the same people that were complaining that they play no defense in the NBA.

They're the same people who can't stand to watch teams like the Spurs play because their games are "ugly" and "slow" and then complain that we can't win the gold medal anymore because we don't play fundamental basketball.

IUe6Hvh.png

They're the same people who can't stand to watch teams like the Spurs play because their games are "ugly" and "slow" and then complain that we can't win the gold medal anymore because we don't play fundamental basketball.

Ha, i'm sure Lithuania, Argentina, Italy, and Puerto Rico would agree with that statement.

Azzuri.gif

Good points, Sterling.

The NBA is very corrupt in what it wants its referees to call and what to ignore. And as a basketball referee myself, I pretend that the games don't exist. Unfortunately, I have a roommate who likes to watch the NBA, so I do see some action now and then. But if I want to watch real basketball, well, that season ended early April with the Tar Heels winning the title.

Palming, traveling, hand checks, charging, etc...none are called as frequently as the should. Carry-over? What's that? The illegal move Allen Iverson starts out any break to the basket.

Yes, there is a huge conspiracy over preferential treatment of the superstars. Wasn't it called "The Jordan Rules" at some point? It's just spilled over to encompass some other players now that #23 has retired. Do I think it's cheating? Yes and no. I don't think the player is directly in on it, but I'm sure Stern sends out "memos" now and then to remind the officials not to whistle certain players.

As far as football, well, I referee that too. It's a lot easier to call holding with 7 refs on the field rather than 3 or 4. Yes, there's probably holding on every play, but you have to slightly delay the flag to see if the hold had any impact on the play.

For both basketball and football, there is a term given to the officials: "Common-Sense Officiating". It's pretty much what I said in the last paragraph. If we see a violation that has no impact on the play (unless it's very egregious), we don't blow the whistle or throw the penalty flag. Example: if the wide receiver on my sideline is holding the DB, but the running back is sweeping to the other sideline (and about 30-40 yards across the field from where the hold is taking place), we're not very likely to throw the flag. We may inform the players what we saw, so they know eyes are upon them, but since it had no bearing on the play, it "never happened".

Same thing for basketball: if players are clutching and holding for position under the basket, but the basket went in, it won't get called (unless it's a flagrant or intentional foul). There's no reason to call it unless the crew of officials plans to spend an extra hour and a half working that game.

These are "unwritten" procedures to follow, and you'll never see them in any rule book or reputable officials' hand, but they fall under game management.

Travelling is so rampant I can't even bare to watch NBA basketball anymore.

As far as that statement, I prefer to keep my clothes on while watching basketball, thank you :)

I know there is holding on every play. Every coach as an Olineman taught me how to and told me to hold without getting caught from Pee Wee to college. Proper technique involves grasping the pads of your opponet, but on the front. If ever you have a hand in two different zones, you will get flagged. ("zones" are the front, each side, and back; of course blocking in the back is clipping) Typically most calls come from having your hands wrapped around the opponet in two seperate zones, at least when I played HS and DIII.

I know you already knew this, but I was just confirming the not so secret fact that there is holding on every play in football on all levels.

Low scoring?! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! Scores of 79-86 don't strike you as being enough? I'll admit I didn't think much of the one NBA game I saw live, but I wouldn't make a claim that it's low scoring. :wacko:

Not when you grow up in an era when a 128-126 final was about the norm, as I did.

Compared to that, today's NBA puts me to sleep.

nav-logo.png

I'm no fan of the NBA, but being playoff time and they always get play on the sports recap shows, this story caught my eye.

Is this fair to banish someone for life for saying this? Did he expose corruption or is it his frustration? How could you ban someone for life for comments in a league where drug use is fairly acceptable (especially mary jane), the players fight the fans, and other problems athletes face (domestic abuse, multiple children out of wedlock, drug violations, weapon violations, etc). Those are far worse problems and they usually get off easy or relativley easy. Am I missing something here? I think it's because these athletes fill the seats and make the money and some coach can be the one who a "lesson is taught" to.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived