Maroon Phillies BP Jersey Question

mr71

PAAAIACIJFJMKFAF.jpg

It's usually a question of licensing. If they've got a player's permission to use his name, they use it wherever it's appropriate. Since Schmidt's name is on the back of this road jersey, I'd wager they've got permission. The fact that it's not on the back of the BP jersey suggests it doesn't belong there.

I'd prolly want confirmation from a Phillies fan before I ordered, but I think you're safe.

Life-long Phillies fan, and that doesn't look right.

The Phillies never used that numeral style - when they moved to the Vet in '71, they went to the rounded numbers they kept into the early '90s (like on the Schmidt roadie). And for a while, they had the number on the left shoulder, like their gamers do now.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Life-long Phillies fan, and that doesn't look right.

The Phillies never used that numeral style - when they moved to the Vet in '71, they went to the rounded numbers they kept into the early '90s (like on the Schmidt roadie). And for a while, they had the number on the left shoulder, like their gamers do now.

Incorrect.

The BPs absolutely used block numbers, not the rounded numbers. I can't confirm that the block style was the ones in that picture, but it probably was.

Also, I do not think that they had names on those jerseys. I can't speak about the 70s or very early 80s because that was before my time, but I can't remember ever seeing names on the back of those jerseys.

Also, when they switched to the current style in 92, they didn't have names on the backs of those either. It wasn't until later in the 90s that they started putting names on the BP shirts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Phillies never  used that numeral style

If that is indeed an authentic M&N jersey, I can't imagine they would screw up a detail that horribly... and on a Philadelphia jersey?

It's not screwed up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That was my point.

Gotcha. I thought you meant that M & N screwed up.

I could be wrong, but in the early days of BP jerseys which was the 70/80s, I'm betting the number of teams without names far outnumbered the teams that had them. I also doubt too many used a custom font. Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a Cardinals BP jersey from that era (red pullover with STL on left chest) with a name on the back.

I'd imagine that M&N stuff from their webpage is as close as you are going to get authenticity wise.

All apologies, BBTV...

This bothered me enough that I googled around today. Even went through old baseball cards and pictures. They did have block numbers.

My bad, thanks for catching that.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

All apologies, BBTV...

This bothered me enough that I googled around today.  Even went through old baseball cards and pictures.  They did have block numbers.

My bad, thanks for catching that.

Alright, here's how I got started obsessing / nitpicking about uniforms.

June '86 I went to my first ever game at the Vet. I was 8 years old. I watched some fielding practice, and noticed players standing next to each other wearing different jerseys. Most were in the maroon BP, but some were in the pinstriped game jersey. Even at 8, it bothered me that their numbers looked different. During the game (vs. the Dodgers) I kept noticing how the Dodgers numbers were a different style than both Phillies jerseys. I went home that day and looked at all of my baseball cards trying to pick out which teams were in which style (back then almost all teams were some form of block, IIRC only the Phillies, Giants, Padres, Cubs, and Expos had unique fonts.)

Anyways, that's why I was so sure about this question, and why I've had uniform anxiety ever since.

My name is Andy, and I'm a uni-holic.

(back then almost all teams were some form of block, IIRC only the Phillies, Giants, Padres, Cubs, and Expos had unique fonts.)

Andy,

Quick, off the top of my head response here, but wouldn't the Blue Jays had unique fonts for the numbers at this time, also?

fade.gif

(back then almost all teams were some form of block, IIRC only the Phillies, Giants, Padres, Cubs, and Expos had unique fonts.)

Andy,

Quick, off the top of my head response here, but wouldn't the Blue Jays had unique fonts for the numbers at this time, also?

Oops. I forgot about the A.L.

I should have remembered the Jays, because I thought that their numbers were the coolest of them all. They'd be wise to bring them back.

And the Red Sox have had their unique style at home for as long as I can remember. But I think BBTV's point was NL uniforms. The Reds had a slightly different style of block numbers (the "2" had a diagonal bar where most teams had 2s with horizontal bars), but that's very very nitpicky.

Andy... as a fellow long-suffering Philadelphian (Steve Jeltz once shot me down for an autograph in '87) and uniholic, I say "Hi, Andy!" and prepare for the coming intervention. :P

2007nleastchamps.png

Yeah, I was just going off the top of my head. My point wasn't to break down all of the different number styles, only that even at 8 I was intrigued by uniforms.

Andy... as a fellow long-suffering Philadelphian (Steve Jeltz once shot me down for an autograph in '87) and uniholic, I say "Hi, Andy!" and prepare for the coming intervention.  :P

Thanks, VD (nice initials.) I met Ricky Jordan during his rookie year and got his autograph. Put it in one of those bullet-proof lucite cases and thought it was the greatest thing in the world, next to my Jaun Samuel rookie card. I know the pain.

Hi, Andy.:D 

Hello, there.

Archived