Dallas Cowboys Uniform Concept

TruColor

I like that you put the gray outline on the numbers. (blue jersey). I wonder what compelled them to go with a WHITE outline on white numbers. I wore that style of jersey when I played seventh grade football in 1986.

when I worked within Nike Team Sports, this color consistency issue came up

every year amongst our group as something to address with the 'boys.

We presented them a "color consolidaton" presentation every year for 3 years

including even the endzones, stadium colors and business cards and letterhead. While they did see the validity in our points, they just couldn't bring themselves to ever do it. I

never really got an answer other than they just didn't want to.

I do agree that the home whites are an institution now much like the Yankees pinstripes.

They are untouchable and made more so by the fact that it will

take an act of god for this organization to do anything to them.

I also had heard that Jerry Jones is color-blind. For real. And, that he couldn't really tell that there even was a difference in all of the metallics. And that this was one of the main reason for the inconsistencies.

One curious thing though - in my research, I have found that the Royal Blue that the Cowboys use in the White jerseys changes Pantones all the time. It's been changed like 4 or 5 times since 1987...

I'd have tried keeping the metallic silver green.

Are you SURE????:

DallasCowboys_PropUN_02.jpg

:blink:

Even though the silver green may not be the most aesthetically pleasing choice, I think it is one color that just says "Dallas Cowboys". I'd be all for them using the silver green as the only gray/silver shade.

Another thing I'll add about the "Silver-Green": from what I can tell, they only started using this color around 1995 or so. Prior to Pantone (the company, not me!) adding the extended (blended) metallics in the '90s, the Cowboys used a custom metallic ink mix for their Silver Blue color. Once a Pantone Metallic that fit their needs came into play, they adopted it but then added a second one for the home pants. Not sure exactly when this happened. I have a 1987 style guide sheet that shows the "Custom Silver Blue", a 1995 sheet that shows the Silver Blue and the Silver Green, and this continues through 2005.

Another thing I'll add about the "Silver-Green": from what I can tell, they only started using this color around 1995 or so. Prior to Pantone (the company, not me!) adding the extended (blended) metallics in the '90s, the Cowboys used a custom metallic ink mix for their Silver Blue color. Once a Pantone Metallic that fit their needs came into play, they adopted it but then added a second one for the home pants. Not sure exactly when this happened. I have a 1987 style guide sheet that shows the "Custom Silver Blue", a 1995 sheet that shows the Silver Blue and the Silver Green, and this continues through 2005.

Interesting. I was a Cowboys fan in the folly of my youth. When they canned Landry I canned them.

Do you know how this silver green compares to the color(s) they used in the 70's and early 80s? It looks distinctly Cowboys to me and invoked that time period. Of course, I've had a few beers since back then :P

Here's what I have estimated for 1979 - the year before switching to the Navy Blue jerseys and Silver pants for the road:

DallasCowboys_FC_1979.jpg

These are estimated colors - I don't believe NFL teams started using Pantones until the early '80s.

Pantone, i think your first concept is pretty much perfect. good addition of the star to the sleeve of the home jersey, and good job getting rid of the nasty "silver-green", one of the ugliest colours in the league.

It's really nice. I might try lightening the silver, though.

The Metallic Silver Blue I'm using is the exact same one that the Cowboys are already using for the helmet color. I use the RGBs for metallics that Pantone, Inc. have designated as correct for computer monitors. They look EXACT to what they'd look like if they were printed using metallic inks, but they do tend to be a little darker than what most graphic programs would show inherently.

I know what you mean though. Trust me - this color wouldn't look as dark if they were printed with metallic inks.

DallasCowboys_PropUN.jpg

Man, this is basically what I had in mind for the Cowboys. The only difference in my design was that I didn't have the pinline numerals. In the dark jersey, I had white numbers with a silver blue outline. On the white jersey, I had navy numbers with the silver blue outline. Also, I had the star on the sleeves smaller and more like they have on the actual navy jerseys. Otherwise, this looks great.

Here's what I have estimated for 1979 - the year before switching to the Navy Blue jerseys and Silver pants for the road:

DallasCowboys_FC_1979.jpg

These are estimated colors - I don't believe NFL teams started using Pantones until the early '80s.

Thanks. It's interesting how memories and perceptions change over time. If quizzed, I probably would've picked the silver/green every time.

Seeing the late 70s colors, though, I'm sure they're right.

Archived