Dolphins aqua pants

Blue Falcon

I'm a Dolphins fan, and I remember exactly where I was watching that game and thinking, "wow...aqua pants for the first time."

I don't think the Prolog I have has a pic from the first '89 game. I do remember them wearing white pants at home against the Steelers in the Monsoon Bowl that November...that was a fun game since there was like six inches of rain on the field!

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

When did the Dolphins drop the aqua pants at home and go back to the tradition of white jerseys/white pants?

I think Dave Wannstedt did the all-white thing at home and the white jersey/aqua pants thing on the road. When Jimmy Johnson was the coach, I think they usually did the white jersey/aqua pants home and away, with some exceptions. The aqua pants/white jersey look was usually confined to Monday night games, I think.

Packers-2.png

I can't speak on who did what when, but the past few seasons have been straight forward:

Home day games: White/white

Home night games: Aqua/white (and sometimes Aqua/aqua)

Road games: White/aqua

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

The last time the Fish wore white/aqua for a home game was against Green Bay in 2000. Since then they have worn white/white at home for most day games.

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, I assume you guys know that dolphins aren't fish?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'm a Dolphins fan, and I remember exactly where I was watching that game and thinking, "wow...aqua pants for the first time."

I was 9 and I remember being at that game and thinking "Dad...can I have another pizza?"

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I assume you guys know that dolphins aren't fish?

Yes but I "assume" you'd know that The Fish is a nickname a lot of people have always called them. People in Buffalo used to yell SQUISH THE FISH!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I assume you guys know that dolphins aren't fish?

Yes but I "assume" you'd know that The Fish is a nickname a lot of people have always called them. People in Buffalo used to yell SQUISH THE FISH!

Yes, as they even call them that on ESPN. It's just goofy, like calling a bat a bird 'cause they both fly.

OK, letting go of need for correctness... B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well since they have no night games at all this year, it looks like it's all-white at home, and white with aqua pants away. I don't know how they're gonna fit the orange alts into the schedule.

I know you all hate them, but they're a huge hit in Miami and it looks like they'll be around for a while.

It's a new coach, so maybe he'll be different.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

The Dolphins generally do the all white during the day because it's hot as hell down here and white is the coolest color to wear. It forces the other team to wear their dark colors and supposedly helps them tire out faster.

spacer.png

• 2 years later...

I've finally found conclusive proof that the Dolphins introduced the aqua pants in 1989, and not 1990. Using newspaperarchive.com, I located pictures that proved the Fins wore the aqua pants/white jersey combo for the first four games of 1989 only...and then dropped them until the beginning of the 1990 season. Not sure why they were dropped...maybe because they started 1-3 in '89?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived