Question on an Allegedly Authentic Cubs uni...

KennyRock

Question for you guys - I bought what I thought was an authentic Cubs Sosa jersey(the home pinstriped one), simply because I like the jersey and it was discounted since he's no longer on the team. However, the jersey doesn't have the Cubs bear logo patch on the left sleeve like the authentics do. The Majestic logo is on the right sleeve. Have the home jerseys had the Bear patch for as long as Sosa has been there? Or, do authentics always come without the logo sleeve patch? Just wondering if this is authentic, I have a feeling it isn't.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

My guess is that this is not an authentic jersey. Russell was bad about including all patches but Majestic goes as far as to include seasonal patches so that makes me suspicious.

Where did you aquire this jersey? It could be that someone removed the patch but I don't understand why they would do that since it is not a collector's item. On the bottom of the jersey, is the tag the "Authentic" tag or does it have the gunuine Majestic tag. Even then the tags could have been switched. If this is a pinstriped jersey, is the C-ubs patch thick or is it kind of thin?

Hope this helps.

Question for you guys - I bought what I thought was an authentic Cubs Sosa jersey(the home pinstriped one), simply because I like the jersey and it was discounted since he's no longer on the team. However, the jersey doesn't have the Cubs bear logo patch on the left sleeve like the authentics do. The Majestic logo is on the right sleeve. Have the home jerseys had the Bear patch for as long as Sosa has been there? Or, do authentics always come without the logo sleeve patch? Just wondering if this is authentic, I have a feeling it isn't.

The authentics have the crawling bear. Does yours have a white border around the C-ubs logo? If it does, it is not authentic. On the authentics, the blue goes all the way to the edge of the patch, on the replica, the blue stops, then there is some white. The top photo is an authentic, the bottom a replica:

pMLB2-1826264dt.jpg

p118084dt.jpg

See what I mean? Hope this helps.

Moose

The authentics also have sleeves with pinstripes that go up to the neck, but that replica just has regular square shoulders with pinstripes that only go up to the shoulder.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The authentics also have sleeves with pinstripes that go up to the neck, but that replica just has regular square shoulders with pinstripes that only go up to the shoulder.

True. As I look at the two, I notice several subtle differences, besides the obvious differences notable in person (material weight, is the Majesitc logo embroidered or ironed on, MLB logo on rear neck, etc.). The differences are as follows: Majesic logo on right sleve on replica, left on authentic; walking cub patch on authentic, missing on replica; the hem tags are different, as noted previously, Majestic MLB Authentic, or other; the white ring around the C-ubs logo, plus the difference in the C-ubs logo being bolder on the authentic (it looks thinner - more white background shows through - on the replica); and the difference in pinstriping on shoulders.

I should note that I have a very high quality Cubs replica that was made by Russel Atheltic. It has the walking bear patch, and the MLB logo on the rear neck, plus has the Russell logo embroidered on the sleve. It does, however have the extra white around the C-ubs logo patch. I could very easily pass this off as an authentic Cubs jersey on eBay, but wouldn't, because I'm not like that. If I were to ever sell, I would call it a very high quality replica, which it is...

Moose

so ya thought it was authentic...I got a question that hasn't been covered yet-what did the numbers look like? were they just generic block or the rounded style that only the Cubs use? cus almost every replica jersey I've ever seen uses generic block-almost never the team's font.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

so ya thought it was authentic...I got a question that hasn't been covered yet-what did the numbers look like?  were they just generic block or the rounded style that only the Cubs use?  cus almost every replica jersey I've ever seen uses generic block-almost never the team's font.

That's a good point, but not a be all, end all. The replica I mentioned above has correct lettering... The flaws it has are the pinstripes not going up the sleves, and the white around the C-ubs logo. Plus the C-ubs logo is not embroidered, but more like a satin material. It showes up shiney in the photos. That, plus obviously being a Russell, when the real deal is made by Majestic. I can't directly link photos, but if you wnat to see my replica, here is the front and here is the back.

Moose

FYI, "Hubbs" is for Kenny Hubbs, 1962 ROTY who died in a February 1964 plane crash in Utah. A should have been great infield combo with Santo and Banks through the late '60's...

Plus the C-ubs logo is not embroidered, but more like a satin material. It showes up shiney in the photos.

I think you are describing chin-stitch embroidery vs. twill patches? IIRC many (not all) authentics feature the chain-stitching, while the replicas have twill.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Plus the C-ubs logo is not embroidered, but more like a satin material.  It showes up shiney in the photos.

I think you are describing chin-stitch embroidery vs. twill patches? IIRC many (not all) authentics feature the chain-stitching, while the replicas have twill.

Not all teams use chain-stitching... I know in baseball, the Cardinals do. The Blackhawks do in hockey, as did the Chicago Cougars WHL team. Very expensive, very detailed, very nice. Here's a St. Louis chain-stitched crest:

BSCR63H-6_detail.jpg

Here's an even better close-up of chain-stitch from a 1950-51 Chicago Black Hawks crest

Plain embroidery, as used on the C-ubs patch, and walking bear shoulder patch, is not as detailed. I can't find a close-up on-line, but it is not tackle-twill. Mine is closer to tackle-twill, but is not as thick. Hence, why I called it more like a satin material...

Moose

Not all teams use chain-stitching... I know in baseball, the Cardinals do. The Blackhawks do in hockey, as did the Chicago Cougars WHL team. Very expensive, very detailed, very nice.

The Astros have also gone to chain-stitching since they moved into Enron/Minute Maid Field.

The only two authentics I have do not have chain-stitching ('88 Mariners, '95 Indians); if the teams did use chain-stitching back then, then I got shafted. At least I bought them as "authentic", I hope I was right.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Thanks for the help, it's definitely a replica - it's more or less identical to the Majestic replica posted above - ah well, it was only 38 bucks.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Archived