Marlins set

pauly07

I'm not liking the black uniform set - have you ever worn a black jersey in the Florida sun? - and the orange just isn't quite working for me, although I like the idea of it. And I'd rather see the F on the home cap and the M on the away cap.

Those split hairs aside, I really like what you've done. The Fish would look join the Nationals at the top of the NL East style parade with these uniforms.

20082614447.png

It didn't really show up when I saved it as a .gif. But the road greys has a real faint green tint, which looked pretty cool.

And the black, I wanted to do something that the Marlins haven't done, and they really haven't used the orange they incorporated into their new alt. logo. And green/orange just looks ugly to me. And honestly, out of the 86 home games, how many of them are in the heat of the day?

Anyway, I'm working on a recolor for the Marlins.

Loving the Home and Road. I have always thought a pinstripeless home uni would look real good. I'm liking the teal cap.

Don't really like the black in the alternate.

The teal uni is very nice. I prefer these to the old teal alternates they had a while back. The only thing I would get rid of is the orange on the sleeves.

The use of the bursting sun logo is something I wish the Marlins would do on their current unis. I don't like having the "F" logo on the cap and on the uni at the same time.

1997 | 2003

On the good side:

- adding orange to the uniforma is long overdue, since it's been in their logo since '93;

- teal stirrups;

- teal hat returns with enough black that it doesn't look too teal;

On the bad side;

- on Alt. #1, you have an "F" on the cap but an "M" on the jersey;

- you have 2 alternates, when 1 is more than enough in most cases (I'd keep #2, it looks much better than #1 and avoids the whole "wearing black in the heat" issue);

- having two different cap logos is rarely, if ever, a good idea. Cap logos serve a purpose, to identify a team, and there should be consistency here. I'm waiting for the D-Backs to figure this out and pick the "A" and dump the "D-snake". The Tigers can get away with changing the color from white to orange because their Olde English "D" is so recognizable

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

- having two different cap logos is rarely, if ever, a good idea.  Cap logos serve a purpose, to identify a team, and there should be consistency here.  I'm waiting for the D-Backs to figure this out and pick the "A" and dump the "D-snake".  The Tigers can get away with changing the color from white to orange because their Olde English "D" is so recognizable

That's an interesting point, and I used to have exactly that opinion. And, truth is, a lot of two-cap teams don't pull it off well. The Minnesota Twins are a perfect example of getting it exactly wrong. But I think the Diamondbacks are the perfect example of how to do it right. At home, the A caps identify them by location. On the road, where they wear their location on their shirts in the form of an "Arizona" script, the D caps stand for the team name. Cap and shirt work together nicely, and the existence of the two caps gives fans a choice. They can put the emphasis on the location and support the Arizona Diamondbacks or they can put the emphasis on the team and support the Arizona Diamondbacks.

I actually kind of wish more teams would do this. Like if the Cardinals would put "St. Louis" on their road shirts and adopt the cardinal cap as the standard road chapeau. Or if the Marlins would wear that fishy M cap with their "Florida" jerseys on the road. Some teams, like the Nationals or the Mets, whose names don't really mean anything, would be exempt, but in Washington's case the jersey that says "Washington" really needs to be matched with a cap that says "DC."

The one that really bugs me is the Rockies. I just hate having both the location and the team initials on the cap. If I lived in Denver, I'd want a cap with a C for Colorado or a D for Denver or an R for Rockies instead of a CR. This is the main reason I don't like the Brewers' old MB glove logo - Milwaukee's cap should have an M, or it should have a keg or something, but the MB really just leaves me cold.

20082614447.png

Obviously, I disagree with BallWonk. And I don't mind an alternate hat with a 2nd logo if it's done right, like the Cards' Sunday specials. That's actually a beautiful hat. I'm talking more about 2 different letters or monograms on primary caps.

I absolutely do not like what Arizona's been doing forever. For a brand-new franchise, they trotted out far too many looks from the start: with and without pinstripes, with and without sleeves, black alternates, purple alternates, white hats, purple hats, black hats. This is a team seeking to cultivate an identity, and they can't settle on one (although they're getting better, I admit).

Like Ballwonk, I don't like teams using their nickname's first letter in combination with the city/state letter in a monogram, like what the Rockies do. (The Brewers get a pass here, because it is stylized enough that the "mb"/ball glove is more of a primary logo than a monogram. I admit, that's a gray area and I may be splitting hairs according to some. But similarly, the A's don't use a monogram, but rather a logo: "A's".) That being said, BallWonk, why is it OK to use just the first letter of the nickname as a hat logo, like the "D-snake" logo on the road, if it isn't OK to include them in combination with the city/state letter? Not only is the "A" a better design IMO, but it is more in accordance with the existing tradition of using the city/state's initial as a cap logo.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

That being said, BallWonk, why is it OK to use just the first letter of the nickname as a hat logo, like the "D-snake" logo on the road, if it isn't OK to include them in combination with the city/state letter? Not only is the "A" a better design IMO, but it is more in accordance with the existing tradition of using the city/state's initial as a cap logo.

Well, I agree that Arizona's A is a terrific bit of design. And the Diamondbacks were way too busy with alternates from the get-go. But I think the snakey-D is also a great logo.

For teams that have good cartoon logos, like the old keg-man Brewers guy or the swinging Padre guy or whatever, I'd rather see that on the road cap where it can be made to work, sort of like the really nice red-bird Cardinals alt. The Diamondbacks D sort of fits with this model, so I like it.

As for why I think a team initial cap is OK but a city/team initial combo isn't, well, I just don't like it. It's a purely aesthetic question, and there's no accounting for taste. To my eye, it's just a very minor-league thing to do.

20082614447.png

Well the dilemma with the Rockies is that it's hard to do just a C when you have the very recognized and established Cubs C and Reds C, so you have to do something distinctive like add the R to it. Of course, I'd rather they were just the Denver Rockies and wore a D but oh well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Whenever I see a Rockies hat I think of Chris Rock, because he had a purple "CR" on the stage of one of his HBO specials a few years back.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Whenever I see a Rockies hat I think of Chris Rock, because he had a purple "CR" on the stage of one of his HBO specials a few years back.

Right on, BBTV. The fonts were nearly identical as well. Wasn't there also a company in Colorado - something like Colorado Refrigeration - that had a "CR" logo very similar to what the Rockies had, and lawsuits were threatened? I may be wrong, my facts haven't been 100% on today.

And whatever happened to crazy? :D

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived