Tampa to host NCAA Frozen Four 2012

TBGKon

:blink: this is odd oh well they won a Stanley Cup once, does any college down there even play hockey?

No it isn't. There's no college hockey in Anaheim, yet they had the Frozen 4 in 1999, and there is no college hockey in Cincinnati, yet they hosted in 1996...

Moose

True, but Ohio State is within an hour and all those CCHA schools have fan bases in and around Cincy.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I was thinking that Anaheim was a bad choice because the nearest DI program was Denver University. However, it seemed to me that a Frozen Four in a more centrally-located southern city could be great, like Tampa. Just imagine the event in New Orleans.

Many users at USCHO.com are not happy about Ford Field. They think that the event might not draw a good enough crowd, there could be tens of thousands of empty seats even in a reduced seating configuration, that the sight lines will suck, that the venue will overwhelm the event, etc. I think that it has the potential to be a hugely successful event. Very few NCAA lacrosse programs draw more than a 1,000 on a regular basis, yet the championship has drawn 40,000 or more for three years in a row. I have no difficulty believing that the Frozen Four could draw 50,000 to Ford Field. The sight lines in the lower level would be comparable to any large arena. Those in the upper level would be tough, but many attendees at the Cold War Game at Spartan Stadium reported that they could follow the action with little difficulty. And the ice was in the middle of the field for that game. It'll likely be in the endzone for the FF. Whether they admit it or not, I think that opponents are worried that the event will be too successful. It could become common for the Frozen Four to be held in stadiums.

:blink: this is odd oh well they won a Stanley Cup once, does any college down there even play hockey?

Ohio State just hosted the Frozen Four the year at the Schot...or Value City Arena as everyone normally calls it. I guess it went over pretty well. I was kind of hoping to see the buckeyes get another go at hosting it soon, but it looks like it will be a few more years down the road.

I added the wrong quote...sorry :blink:

Ohio State just hosted the Frozen Four the year at the Schot...or Value City Arena as everyone normally calls it. I guess it went over pretty well. I was kind of hoping to see the buckeyes get another go at hosting it soon, but it looks like it will be a few more years down the road.

Don't read this as a snub. The NCAA has basically stated that there will be a cycle of at least 8-10 years between venues hosting. Look at St. Paul, arguably the most successful Frozen 4 ever, and they have to wait from 2002, until 2011 before hosting again.

Columbus was successful, but likely not as successful as you think it was (for the first time in history, all four participants were from the same conference, the WCHA. This hampered the secondary market for tickets, and a lot of eastern ticket holders who tried to sell their tickets on the black market had dificulty doing so, as two of the teams involved were from Colorado). I think the NCAA realizes this ticketing problem, and would be willing to give Columbus another go - but with the stipulation it be Nationwide arena instead - granted they are willing to wait the requisit 8 year minimum.

Also, as a side note, Boston, considered a shoo-in to host in this bidding cycle, as they are a traditional host, who last hosted in 2004, did not get a bid. Conventional wisdom dictates they will be included in the next round of bidding. If Boston and St. Paul can't cut down on the 8 year cycle, don't feel bad Columbus can't either...

Moose

Archived