Biggio sets modern MLB record

WJMorris3

(from MLB.com. Discuss!)

DENVER -- Craig Biggio didn't have to wait long between tying and breaking the all-time hit-by-pitch record. He was hit by Byung-Hyun Kim in the fourth inning of Wednesday's game, surpassing Don Baylor with his 268th career plunking.

Biggio was plunked by Jason Jennings on Tuesday to tie the mark, set by Baylor, who was hit 267 times during his 19-year career from 1970-88.

Biggio has scored 95 times after being hit by a pitch for a 35 percent success rate. The Hall of Fame has requested Biggio's arm pad upon breaking the record, and his teammates retreived the ball both when Biggio tied the record and when he broke it.

Although Hughie Jennings was hit 287 times during his Major League career from 1891-1918, Baylor's record was considered the "modern day" mark, and the one Major League Baseball recognized as official.

Biggio's unintentional pursuit of the hit-by-pitch record has garnered a heap of national attention in the last few weeks. There is even a web site entitled PlunkBiggio.blogspot.com which chronicles every game Biggio plays and whether or not he's plunked.

The web site also provides plenty of little known facts -- for instance, Biggio tied Baylor's record on the 18th anniversary of Baylor breaking the modern record, then held by Ron Hunt.

Although it took Biggio 17-plus years to break Baylor's record, it took him no time at all to set an Astros mark for the most hit-by-pitches. He took over the lead in that category in 1995 when he was plunked for just the 48th time. Before that, Glenn Davis was the all-time Astros leader with 47.

LvZYtbZ.png

Guys ya know I am for a guy taking one for the team BUT he wears one of the damn pieces of body armor on his arm and elbow ( is it he or Bagwell that also has/had that thick pad on his hand). Ball players have been wearing these things to protect injuries and prevent new ones. but they are growing to extreme NHL goalie pad sieze. That combined wtih the gigantic jersy he wears that I'm sure resulted in a few cheap trips to first base (insert cheap Paris hilton joke) These things cheapen the dubious record in my opinon.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Yeah, I think it's kinda strange how the MLB requested his armor for the HOF since he helps use it to lean into pitches to get the record but oh well...

The worst armor has to be Bonds'...that thing is huge...it's just another reason he hit's more than he should...he can crowd the plate...I read somewhere that the size he has is against standard regulation without a doctors reccomendation saying it is for an injury. I however have little doubt one of his doctors would write him a reccomendation.

Archived