Milwaukee MLS?

cyandlux

Good for the MLS. :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I'm not getting my hopes up. They've been talking about putting a 20,000 seat stadium just north of downtown Milwaukee for almost four years now, and nothing has happened yet other than rumors. It now seems as though there's a different developer behind this proposal, but this plan originally called for UW-Milwaukee to start up a I-AA football program and play there. We'll see where this goes...

QPR%20Sig.png

I dont know. I dont think Milwaukee is soccer material. Then again I dont think Salt Lake is soccer material.

Not so fast my friend. Youth soccer is huge here, and there's good support for the Wave and Wave United. I bet an MLS club would garner great support from many of the ethnic groups here.

Knowing the politics of the proposed site, I won't hold my breath. I will keep hoping, though.

Local paper: http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/jul05/340331.asp

It's where I sit.

I'm not getting my hopes up. They've been talking about putting a 20,000 seat stadium just north of downtown Milwaukee for almost four years now, and nothing has happened yet other than rumors. It now seems as though there's a different developer behind this proposal, but this plan originally called for UW-Milwaukee to start up a I-AA football program and play there. We'll see where this goes...

Where exactly were they planning on putting this? There's not room downtown for something like that. How far north is it supposed to be? And were you talking about the football stadium that UWM and MU were supposedly going to share if they both brought football back.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

I'm not getting my hopes up.  They've been talking about putting a 20,000 seat stadium just north of downtown Milwaukee for almost four years now, and nothing has happened yet other than rumors.  It now seems as though there's a different developer behind this proposal, but this plan originally called for UW-Milwaukee to start up a I-AA football program and play there.  We'll see where this goes...

Where exactly were they planning on putting this? There's not room downtown for something like that. How far north is it supposed to be? And were you talking about the football stadium that UWM and MU were supposedly going to share if they both brought football back.

IIRC, the stadium is supposed to be north of the Bradley Center and Pabst City on land vacated by the Park East Freeway.

As for the previous proposal last winter, Marquette was never part of it. They have no intentions of reinstating their football program, and apparently neither does UWM at this point. The only difference here is that UWM has kept the possibility for resuming the program open to discussion, while Marquette has stated in no uncertain terms that they won't be doing it any time soon (if ever)...

QPR%20Sig.png

I just think that in the LOOOOONG line of MLS worthy cities this one is last, the only reason it would get consideration is because of the SSS proposal. Thats all the league seems to want, not viable soccer cities (ie Rochester) that will support them in the long run.

If it were only about granting a team to any city that can construct a soccer-specific stadium, Rochester would already have been awarded a franchise to begin play next season. Meanwhile, Utah - which is still trying to figure out just where to site a stadium and just who is going to pay for it - would have been left on the outside looking in.

It is too simplistic to say that MLS expansion/relocation is only about the construction of a soccer-specific stadium. There are numerous other factors involved, including the financial resources of the investor/operator making inquiries. Rochester has a long history of supporting professional soccer, beginning with the Lancers of the NASL. The Rochester Ragin' Rhinos of the USL's First Division currently enjoy phenomenal fan support. PaeTec Park is going to be a "jewel" of a soccer-specific stadium (yes, pro lacrosse's Rattlers will play there, as well) when it comes on line next year.

The problem for Rochester is that there are significant questions about just how willing and/or able Frank DuRoss is to pony up the dough necessary to secure an MLS franchise. The most recent round of MLS expansion carried a $10-million price tag... and that's just the beginning. When you acquire the local operating rights to a Major League Soccer franchise, you're buying into a single-entity league. In other words, all MLS investor/operators subsidize the underperforming markets. Yes, Mr. DuRoss is obviously wealthy enough to own and operate the Rhinos, Rattlers and Providence Bruins. However, that's a far cry from having the resources of a Phil Anschutz, Lamar Hunt, Bob Kraft, Jose Vergara or - even - a Dave Checketts at his disposal.

As for Milwaukee's MLS quest, there are still plenty of obstacles to be overcome before MLS awards a franchise to the group. I can't imagine that ownership/management of the Bradley Center is going to be any more amenable to the construction of a nearby 20,000-seat stadium then they were the last time such a facility was proposed. After all, such a facility could potentially compete with the Bradley Center for concert dates during the spring, summer and early fall. Further, City Hall has yet to weigh-in on whether it considers a development anchored by a soccer-specific stadium the best use for the Park East site. There's the question of whether the Milwaukee sports-consuming market will support both the Brewers and a Major League Soccer team during the spring/summer season.

On the bright side for Milwaukee, Peter Wilt has certainly proven himself to be a man capable of successfully launching and administering the day-to-day operations for a championship-calibre professional soccer team... including the construction of a state-of-the-art soccer-specific facility.

Archived