Colorado Avalanche 10th Anniversary Logo

TruColor

Long time lurker...first post, as for some reason I have to login now just to visit.

Question i've always been curious about, and figured this would be a appropriate hread to put this in...was there a particular reason the Avalanche wore black helmets in their first ever game playing in Denver 10 years ago against Detroit?

I remember distinctly that they did, and have seen some pictures a few years ago, but can't come up with anything right now...other then this google page that is cached, and the link to the pic doesn't work.

http://images.google.ca/images?q=sakic+199...0&sa=N&filter=0

I did a quick search and didn't find any pictures from the game against the Red Wings. However, I did manage to find pictures of the Avalanche wearing the black helmets in other home games.

September 25, 1995:

0925954ux.jpg

October 09, 1995:

1009953qk.jpg

October 11, 1995:

1011953ir.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Thanks..by lack of response, I guess there was never a reason given.

Odd that the NHL would allow that a few times during the year unless it was for something specific. And with the regular helmets being white, it couldn't have been an availablity issue (they could've still worn their old Nords helmets).

Odd that since most teams have gone to a single color pants (that used to have two colors), ans gloves being similar, surprising teams don't have single colored helmets.

Only pro team I can think of that wears the same helmets for all games nowadays is the Milwaukee Admirals (navy helmets for all games). Most college teams use just one color helmet for all games, I've noticed (Wisconsin, Minnesota, BU, BC, North Dakota, St. Cloud, Denver just to name a few)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived