Indians/Tigers Throw-back Game last Sat.

no97

I didn't see the game, and or highlites, but these look sharp!

DTS10508070105.jpeg

DTS10308070051.jpeg

Does anyone know what they were throwbacks to? Nowhere in the MLB.com, ESPN.com, Detroit Freep or Detroit News storys do they reference what they are. Anyone care to guess?

Moose

It's nice to see different unis and all, but I don't really get why teams sport unis of teams that they never were. Don't get me wrong, it's cool (especially in baseball when they play five hundred games a year) to see a different uni (throwback, alternate, or whatever), but the Tigers and Indians were never those teams. They just shared the city. I understand that they honor those teams, but like I'm trying to say, they weren't ever in those unis or a previous incarnation of that team.

KISSwall09.jpg

It's nice to see different unis and all, but I don't really get why teams sport unis of teams that they never were. Don't get me wrong, it's cool (especially in baseball when they play five hundred games a year) to see a different uni (throwback, alternate, or whatever), but the Tigers and Indians were never those teams. They just shared the city. I understand that they honor those teams, but like I'm trying to say, they weren't ever in those unis or a previous incarnation of that team.

Sure the Indians and Tigers were never the Buckeyes and Stars, respectively, but IMHO it's a nice gesture, especially because the former Buckeyes and Stars (and other Negro League) players never got the opportunity to be MLB players. They can't right the wrong, but it's a nice way to pay homage to teams and players that MLB purposefully kept out!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The strangest had to be a few years back in Toronto when the Jays wore the uniforms of the Chatham All-Stars. Chatham isn't really near Toronto, it's a small city much nearer to Detroit!

Anyway it's nice to pay tribute to the Negro Leagues.

I can't see why people around here seem to like the contrasting button-placket look (seems like a lot of recent concepts have it.)

Yuck.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived