Emrick new voice of NHL

jkrdevil

I know Thorne has done Mets games for years(and before this baseball season, a few ESPN baseball games, mostly on holidays). But for those of us in the barren West that don't get Emrick, Thorne is the voice of big-time, important hockey and he's just familiar. You can complain about he doesn't get names pronounced right, but hell, neither do a lot of good announcers (Al Michaels has been bad at getting players wrong for the last few years, and well, Harry Carey set the record for most mis-prounciations, but he was still fun to listen to). Thorne's inflections, his delivery, and his quips are great, I think. Emrick is smart and I remember him on Fox and the Olympics, but I just think he is annoying to listen to with his high-pitched voice, kinda monotone, and that really doesn't sound good (to me at least) after three hours. I always viewed his delivery as second-rate compared to Thorne's, and when Emrick was on Fox, I thought the only thing that saved him was JD. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

To each his own.

EDIT: If OLN isn't waiting for Thorne, perhaps NBC is, especially with their regional coverage. Just a quick thought.

It's not that Thorne gets the names wrong as much as he says they're on the wrong team. I couldn't count how many times during the 2003 finals he said Brain Rafalski was on the sucks. Whenever #28 for the Ducks touched the puck he called him Rafalski. One time is one thing but over and over again is just bad.

Rick is the Sabres radio broadcaster.

His signature call is a long "scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooores!!!"

No, that was John Gurtler's signature. He now does PA at the Ralph, Bandits radio and TV play-by-play and local Ford commercials.

Jeanneret doesn't really have a signature IMO. He's got a bunch of sayings just like Mike Lange, but brings a lot more intensity.

Some of Rick Jeanneret's famous calls:

"MAY DAY, MAY DAY...!"

"... robbed him blind"

"top shelf where mama hides the cookies"

"LALALALALALAFONTAINE!"

"HALF way through the first period"

and many more.

• 3 weeks later...

I too will miss Gary Thorne. The ebb and flow of his emotion during near-scores, and goals are perfect accompaniment to the insanity that is playoff hockey.

University of Maine class of 1974 y'know.

....and one hell of a nice guy.

mainescarf.png

Jeanneret also does Raging Rhinos broadcasts, if I'm not mistaken.  He's VERY exCITable! :lol:

I thought that was Don Stevens, the Amerks play-by-play guy?

It is Don Stevens. I don't listen to Rhinos games but I occasionaly cross over them while tuning in the AM band.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

No, that was John Gurtler's signature. He now does PA at the Ralph, Bandits radio and TV play-by-play and local Ford commercials.

Jeanneret doesn't really have a signature IMO. He's got a bunch of sayings just like Mike Lange, but brings a lot more intensity.

"MAY DAY, MAY DAY...!"

"... robbed him blind"

"LALALALALALAFONTAINE!"

and many more.

I may be a Coyotes fan, but if you think that the Buffalo guys has one-liners, you should hear the Penguins' play-by-play guy. He's got a lot of quotes, although I don't have them.

Jeanneret also does Raging Rhinos broadcasts, if I'm not mistaken.  He's VERY exCITable! :lol:

I thought that was Don Stevens, the Amerks play-by-play guy?

It is Don Stevens. I don't listen to Rhinos games but I occasionaly cross over them while tuning in the AM band.

Hm, I thought they were the same guy. They have a very similar style, at least to my untrained ears.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Emrick is a great announcer, and in this time of transition, bringing in a recognizable voice while making a change is good. I think Thorne might be in a contract with ABC/ESPN and perhaps why they didn't go with him.

JD is awesome. And with Bill Clement in the studio, plus perhaps another person to give analysis if Clement is the main guy.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

"MAY DAY, MAY DAY...!"

"... robbed him blind"

"LALALALALALAFONTAINE!"

and many more.

I may be a Coyotes fan, but if you think that the Buffalo guys has one-liners, you should hear the Penguins' play-by-play guy. He's got a lot of quotes, although I don't have them.

Yeah I know Mike Lange. I mentioned him earlier.

• 1 month later...

"MAY DAY, MAY DAY...!"

"... robbed him blind"

"LALALALALALAFONTAINE!"

and many more.

Just for you SabreJeff (and all Sabre fans)!!!

Jeanerette call

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived