Colon Named Cy Young

Dylanis

Was Colon Really the best pitcher in the AL?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rivera deserved if not just for thsi year his whole career, sometimes this anti-releiver bias is bad, especially this year when without Mo teh Yankees would have been .500 at best since their starters were so bad.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think they need to change voting until after the playoffs.

Are baseball writers idiots? How can a guy with more K's and a lower ERA and WHIP not get the CY YOUNG? When will they realize that wins and losses is a worthless stat.

If I had a team, I would have drafted Santana first. Then, Mariano, then Buehrle.

Aside from the misvotes and baseball writer ignorance, I guess the real question is: Should relief pitchers be eligible for the Cy Young. I vote "No," since they pitch 1/3 of the innings that a starter would.

Clearly, I would rather have Mariano over Colon, but if a RP is so good, why doesn't he start games so he can pitch more innings throughout a season and better help his team?

If a RP is so good, why doesn't he start games so he can pitch more innings throughout a season and better help his team?

If a relief pitcher is so good, he should pitch as many games as possible, allowing the teams starting pitchers to feel confident that once they reach a certain inning they should win the game. When a pitcher is so dominant, starter or relief pitcher, they should win the Cy Young unless there is a pitcher that is more dominant.

Kidd.jpg

I know I sound biased, being a Twins fan, but I still think Johan Santana was best. Just look at his strikeouts and ERA.

Truthfully, I don't think that is biased at all. Santana had a much better year the Colon, he just had less wins.

Kidd.jpg

I know I sound biased, being a Twins fan, but I still think Johan Santana was best. Just look at his strikeouts and ERA.

JOHAN IS GOD...

I think he is the best pitcher in the AL right now.

That said, I don't think he should have won the Cy Young. He was not consistant. I also don't care that he leads the AL in Ks (an out is an out). He had a good end of the year and a pretty good start, but was just too inconsistant in the mid year.

Of course, maybe I just got spoiled after watching his final 2/3 of last year :)

I can live with Colon winning, though I think Mariano would have been my #1 vote.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

JOHAN IS GOD...

I think he is the best pitcher in the AL right now.

That said, I don't think he should have won the Cy Young. He was not consistant. I also don't care that he leads the AL in Ks (an out is an out). He had a good end of the year and a pretty good start, but was just too inconsistant in the mid year.

Of course, maybe I just got spoiled after watching his final 2/3 of last year :)

I can live with Colon winning, though I think Mariano would have been my #1 vote.

You can make arguements for an against almost any stat there is. K's: A ground out is just as good. Wins: Run support is what a win is about. ERA: Earned runs can be manipulated by each park's scorekeepers.

If I was voting, I think I'd take the approach of the most feared pitcher of the year. Stats are great, but they only tell part of the story. What pitcher did teams not want to face the most? I think plenty of teams will tell you they hate facing the guys that make you slam it into the ground just as much as the guys that blow it by you.

Do I think Colon fit this catagory? Yeah. But I think Santana had the better year.

Happens every year. It'll happen tomorrow with the managers, It'll happen in two days with the NL Cy Young and it'll happen latter in the week with the MVPs. No matter who wins the NL one there will be an arguement. Carpenter didn't have the ERA Clemens did, Clemens didn't have the wins the otehr guys had, Willis was inconsistant...Its the same every year.

But its fun to argue isn't it? :D

Archived