Toronto Raptors redesign concept(s)

Starchild

Yeah, so I totally didn't mean to jump on the band wagon on this one. I was toying around with the Raptors anyway, suddenly saw the massive posts on the Raptors and, well, figured I'd take the suggestions on other people's stuff, mix it with my own preferences, and see what comes out.

Basically, I didn't mess around too much with the overall design - around 98% of it went unchanged. I just happen to think the Raptors have the right idea, but not perfect execution. Close, but not perfect, in my eyes. So rather than completely overhauling them, I just did some tinkering (though an overhaul is going to come as well... I'm going to attempt to mix current-with-throwback again).

PRIMARY UNIFORMS:

RaptorsFinalConcept_Small.jpg

-Road goes untouched, except for eliminating the black trim from the shoulders.

-Home follows the road more closely. Eliminated black from the back of the jersey; no shoulder trim; black with red trim on the sides as opposed to red with black - just looks cleaner to me.

-Recolored primary logo: eliminated purple, added maroon, and changed font for TORONTO above the primary (it's hard to see, but I used the Toronto Maple Leafs font... I'll edit the post and add the primary alone so it's visible).

ALTERNATE UNIFORM:

RaptorsAlternateConcept_Small.jpg

-First concept I took the suggestion of using traditional Toronto colors (a la Maple Leafs) with blue-on-blue and white. So here, primary color is a Maple Leafs blue, trimmed with a darker blue, the TR-Maple Leaf logo used in place of the claw on the shorts.

-Second concept, I took the same idea, but reintroduced the red (a la Toronto Blue Jays throwback). I'm satisfied with both looks, perhaps this one slightly more than the previous, only because the NBA is already infested with blue-on-blue jerseys, the red trim helps to distance them a bit from the Mavericks/Jazz/Grizzlies/etc.

C&C is, as always, welcomed and wanted. Enjoy!

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

The primary set looks great, starchild.

The secondary set is too pistons and mavericks for me. I think the raptors should ditch the black, darken the purple enough so it looks somewhat black, and keep the red. That way you get more depth with the color scheme, you keep red, and avoid looking like the pistons and mavericks or the blazers, bulls, and rockets.

A black alternate, for me, is almost entirely out of the question. I like black, but used to compliment something - not as it's own entity. While it would match the color scheme better, I'm a fan of alternate jerseys seperating themselves in some fashion from the primaries aside from using another color from the existing scheme. As I said, I'm going to try an overhaul of sorts, or perhaps use the idea for the overhaul as an alternate jersey... so I'll add that once I work on it.

AAO - I'm going to tinker with your suggestion as well. While I'm not the biggest fan of purple for the Raptors, your idea is right on in terms of finding a medium ground between my design and their current.

Thanks for the C&C thus far... keep it coming.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Starchild & Creamer Designers-

I have a question? When you submit new ideas, why do most make such minimal changes?

I think everyone on the site is talented but why not go beyond such minor tweaks and really go out and make a change. If you tweaking the Yankees uniforms then I understand the need for very minor changes... but these are the Raptors they only have negative history...

I really do like the cleanliness of your work. If you had the chance to start over and did not have any other reference what would you come up with.

I would love to see more creativity out of all the designers on this site. I have made a lot of money in this business and it always is becasuse I took risks and delivered the unexpected...

Take the blinders off and go new and unique, you have the talent-

Logoman

Gameplan | A Strategy for Achieving an Objective.

Well, that is exactly what I normally do. Normally I don't make minor changes... in this case, I chose to - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Some people make minor changes for a variety of reasons. Whether they don't have the best tools to make major changes, lack the inspiration, or just genuinely don't feel the need to - whatever it is, it should be treated with equal respect. Sometimes all you need is a minor change.

As for this concept, as I've said, this is just my own minor tweaking of what they have, a more "creative" (for lack of a better term) approach will follow.

• 9 months later...

Archived