MLL's Denver Outlaws Unveil Logo...

Brian in Boston

And playing in Mile High?  Even in Baltimore, where they held the NCAAs at the Ravens' field last year, the Bayhawks play on the campus of Johns Hopkins.

The reason that the Outlaws are calling Invesco at Mile High home is because Pat Bowlen owns the team. While playing in such a large facility will do nothing for game atmosphere, you have to admit that the price is right. As in, for all intents and purposes, free.

Yup, and with the Rapids (MLS) moving to a soccer specific stadium in Commerce City next season, Invesco Field is pretty open.

I'll have to check out some games... I've got my stadium credential, so I should be able to see it for free.

And playing in Mile High? Even in Baltimore, where they held the NCAAs at the Ravens' field last year, the Bayhawks play on the campus of Johns Hopkins.

I will say this for the league: it's lasted 5 seasons with relative stabily (only one franchise moving) and seems to be doing relatively okay for itself. I just think that suddenly plunking down teams in Chicago and L.A. might be a case of too much, too soon. (See USFL, 1984.)

With the success of the Mammoth, having a team in Denver isn't that far a reach. We'll see if fans enjoy the outdoor game as much as the indoor game here in the Mile High City.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The bigger question here is this:

How is a low-profile, traditionally east-coast sport going to do with a sudden transcontinental expansion? I mean, lacrosse is a fantastic game to watch, but if a team really does open for business in Chicago, I might be the only one watching them.

And playing in Mile High? Even in Baltimore, where they held the NCAAs at the Ravens' field last year, the Bayhawks play on the campus of Johns Hopkins.

I will say this for the league: it's lasted 5 seasons with relative stabily (only one franchise moving) and seems to be doing relatively okay for itself. I just think that suddenly plunking down teams in Chicago and L.A. might be a case of too much, too soon. (See USFL, 1984.)

I don't think nationwide expansion is a bad idea, given the recent growth of the sport, but I think 4 teams at once is a little much. Of the four cities, Denver seems the most suited to success, but Invesco Field is a poor choice (though the reason has been explained above). Colorado is one of the hotbeds in the new growth,so there is obviously some level of interest there.

The biggest struggle that all of the MLL teams are having is that most fans still identify with the college teams. The Bayhawks draw fairly well, but most of the publicity and media attention in Baltimore goes to Hopkins, Maryland, Navy, Towson, Loyola and UMBC (probably in that order). The ABC affiliate has weekly college games, but I rarely see the Bayhawks on local TV (and I don't even know who the league's TV deal is with without looking it up). I suspect Syracuse and Princeton also get most of the coverage in upstate New York and central New Jersey.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

That might be a good thing about Denver... DU and Air Force both have teams (maybe CC? I don't know), but they don't really get a whole lot of exposure that would take away a pro squad.

Denverites will try just about any sport for a season, and with the Rockies being so friggin' awful, this might have a chance to catch hold and work out here in the summer time where there's not a whole lot of spectator sports to watch.

. . . this might have a chance to catch hold and work out here in the summer time . . .

That may be problem two in the traditional markets -- the MLL games are out of season. In these parts, lacrosse season is late February/early March to Memorial Day (with the high schools finishing up state tournaments a few weeks before that). I don't think the youth leagues play in the summer, but I'm not sure about that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

its kinda really bad design

mmm.... I disagree... even if you don't catch what it is at first glance, it's concise, different from other athletic marks in the area, and communicates aggressiveness and ruggedness in a pretty interesting and contemporary way... I don't think Adrenalin always hits the mark (Phoenix Coyotes), but I think this is a time that they did.

Archived