Illinois Mascot Manual

MisterE

In response to my Quirky High School Nicknames, I've just received the Illinois High School Mascot Manual. It has a database of every single school's nickname in the state of Illinois. It has the stories behind Illinois's weirder nicknames. If any would like to know a certain school's nickname story then just ask assuming this is legal.

By the way, sodboy13, you're in the books for coming up with the only Blazing Trojans in the state of Illinois. :P

My alma mater, the Limestone Community High School in Bartonville, Illinois

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sorry Rams80, but the book didn't have a specific story surrounding the nickname but they're are 12 HS teams in the state that are the Rockets. And I know exactly where Bartonville is and Limestone's colors are a royal/Columbia blue if I remember right, Limestone is Jim Thome's alma mater with a huge sign on their diamond's scoreboard that says Jim Thome 1B/DH for the Cleveland Indians which they need to get updated. whew

I also found a reasonable explaination for the Effingham Flaming Hearts which has had me puzzled for the past few weeks. In the 1940's when the school decided to come up with a name, Effingham was the "heart" of the country as they were in the exact center of the population meaning there was the same amount of people north,south,east,and west of Effingham. The exact pop. center of the US has moved west and south to somewhere in southern Missouri. To sound more fearful, students added Flaming to the name and the football team continues to add Fighting to the name.

Sorry Rams80, but the book didn't have a specific story surrounding the nickname but they're are 12 HS teams in the state that are the Rockets. And I know exactly where Bartonville is and Limestone's colors are a royal/Columbia blue if I remember right, Limestone is Jim Thome's alma mater with a huge sign on their diamond's scoreboard that says Jim Thome 1B/DH for the Cleveland Indians which they need to get updated. whew

Yeah, I know, they need to change to Chicago (but then, the school's always slow to do stuff like that). The "summer" construction projects were usually finished homecoming weekend. They rarely put up conference title trophies, or put player names on our few state trophies. BTW we actually had two MLB players for alums-Mike Dunne also graduated from there in the 80s.

PS, knowing where Bartonville is puts you well ahead of the IHSA management :cursing:

Thanks anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Cobden Appleknockers got their nickname from the apple orchirds surrounding the town. Local teens were usually paid to pick the apples from the trees. But most teens needed to use a long stick to knock down the apples due to them being too short to reach, so you get Appleknockers.

The Freeburg Midgets were named in the 1934-1935 basketball season after a local sports writer said that that year's team were so short they looked like midgets. For whatever reason, the team took a liking to the name and have forever been called the Midgets.

Hoopeston Cornjerkers got their namesake in the 1920's. Before combines, you had to jerk corn off the stalk and and haul in a basket. As you might think, this could take awhile. In the 20's sports writers rode on the team bus. In fall, football players would be late for the bus because they were jerking corn. A sports writer said "You'll never become a good team with a bunch of cornjerkers."The head coach had listened and liked the name and has made it Hoopeston's permanent moniker.

Archived