Future of the Hornets

The_Admiral

Oklahoma City has welcomed the Hornets with open arms. The Ford Center is selling out, the city is enthusiastic about being a major league town. The team itself, while not leading the league, is much improved from last year's 0-19 start. Meanwhile, we've heard a lot about the "support" for the LSU Saints, and we can see the on-field result. Given that the team's attendance in New Orleans was perilously low even pre-disaster, and that the new city has done a fine job of embracing the team, how likely is it that Shinn keeps the Hornets in Oklahoma City?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

IMO 95%-the other 5% has them going to either Vegas or Kansas City.

The only real holdup I could see would be David Stern not wanting the NBA to "fail" in New Orleans again.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I hope N'awlins somehow manages to hang on to the Hornets. I also think "Hornets" should've stayed as Charlotte's NBA team name. There's historical significance as the British general attacking the area in the Revolutionary War feared attacking the Charlotte/NC citizens' "hornets' nest" defending the region. End of history lesson, except to note Mr. Shinn wanted to originally name his team the "Charlotte Spirit". Whatevah . . .

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

One way or another I think OKC has landed itself an NBA team. Stern has said OKC is now at the top of the list for a team and I would imagine that the Hornets will be that franchise. It's quite likely that the NBA will expand to at least 32 teams within the next 4-6 years and if New Orleans is ready to support a franchise by that time, I could see the NBA giving them a "Charlotte deal." If the Hornets do move back to N.O. after this season, I could see OKC getting a promise from the NBA to place an expansion team there.

I think the support for the Saints is bigger than the support for the Hornets, and if Shinn tried to move the Hornets to OKC it wouldnt cause HALF the commotion that Benson is stirring by considering moving the Saints. That being said, I'd say the chances of the Hornets moving to OKC is better than 50%

metslogo_215.gif

THe NBA itself is trying to get out of NO more then Shinn they are not happy with the support they received thus far and dont see it improving any time soon.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived