Ole miss going with young, strong muscular person

animator

I'm still hoping yours qualifies as such animator.

Why of why, must all these people refer to Col. Reb as Disny-esque?  Surely that is not the only adjective one can muster up to describe him. Especially since disney-esque isn't evena word. He looks little if anything like a disney character.  Even the term "cartoony" gets thrown around too much but it's a more appropriate fit.  He's line art.  He's a charicature.  This is like facial tissue being called Kleenex.  It's all anyone knows. WHich is unfortunate.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Perhaps this should be on the other thread, but I felt the need to bring up an observation that I've made. I understand the whole "controversy" of the "Dixie-fied" rebel colonel, and the Rebel flags being waved at  Ole Miss games, but, I think they've gone overboard with this new mascot crap. Now, I haven't seen some of the designs we've all come up with on the other thread, but why not go a UNLV route? To my knowledge nobody has pressed them to change their "rebel" mascot....and he's nothing more than a buffalo billish character with a rifle...this mullarkey about going with motorcycles/horses/etc blows my mind. Lol, give the Colonel a rifle, and the PC machine, in theory, should be satisfied...but they won't be.

as for the Oregon Duck, wasn't the whole reason Oregon went with the new "O" logo because they got tired of paying Disney royalties for actually using the likeness of Donald Duck?

Perhaps this should be on the other thread, but I felt the need to bring up an observation that I've made. I understand the whole "controversy" of the "Dixie-fied" rebel colonel, and the Rebel flags being waved at  Ole Miss games, but, I think they've gone overboard with this new mascot crap. Now, I haven't seen some of the designs we've all come up with on the other thread, but why not go a UNLV route? To my knowledge nobody has pressed them to change their "rebel" mascot....and he's nothing more than a buffalo billish character with a rifle...this mullarkey about going with motorcycles/horses/etc blows my mind. Lol, give the Colonel a rifle, and the PC machine, in theory, should be satisfied...but they won't be.

as for the Oregon Duck, wasn't the whole reason Oregon went with the new "O" logo because they got tired of paying Disney royalties for actually using the likeness of Donald Duck?

a quick DYK (Did you know) that the ole miss rebel mascot was created by an african-american. Myself being one (an african- american). I like it. It is our history. the mascot education younger kids about our history lets not be like JAPAN and cut out a part of history (for those who don't know the kids in japan never get teached about how they attacked Pear Harbor)

The University of Oregon has, thus far, claimed that they have no plans to retire Donald Duck as their primary mascot. They say that they have simply added a second mascot, Mandrake.

This much is certain: A 1947 handshake agreement between Leo Harris - Oregon's first Athletic Director - and Walt Disney granted the university the right to use Donald's likeness as UO's mascot as long as it was done in good taste. That agreement lasted until the early 1970s.

The first written contract between UO and Walt Disney's corporate offices was negotiated in 1973. That written contract allowed the university to continue using Donald Duck's likeness as UO's mascot, but it limited the area in which the university could SELL souvenir merchandise bearing Donald's image. Unless I'm mistaken, the University of Oregon could only exclusively sell such merchandise within the State of Oregon. In fact, they may have even been limited to exclusive sales in Portland and Eugene. What's more, the university was required to split the royalties made on sales of UO items bearing the Donald Duck logo, with Disney. Royalties on any sales made outside of Oregon went to Disney exclusively.

There has been talk in recent years of renegotiating UO's contract with Disney to provide for a sharing of sales profits throughout the country. I must admit that I don't know how that negotiation has progressed.

It is not beyond the scope of the imagination that an influential UO benefactor - oh, say... Phil Knight - might be inclined to push the university towards dumping a mascot that requires sharing profits on souvenir sales. In fact, why not adopt a new fulltime mascot that fits in better with the "edgy, new, in-your-face" color scheme and uniform designs created by - oh, say... NIKE!

Brian in Boston

B in B, I always feel smarter after reading your posts. As always you are a wealth of info.

a quick DYK (Did you know) that the ole miss rebel mascot was created by an african-american. Myself being one (an african- american). I like it. It is our history. the mascot education younger kids about our history

EXACTLY. It happened. It wasnt in and of itself any better or worse than anything else this country has done. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Only when we acknowledge our failures openly can we move past them. This "shhh"/ cover up/ I didnt do it/I'm above all that" nonsense HAS to stop. One of my favorite lines comes from Men In Black and bare with me as I butcher it.

J:"Why don't you just tell people (about aliens)? People are smart, they can handle it"

K:"No, a PERSON is smart. People are insecure, panicky, judgmental, rash, stupid hateful.." and blah blah all these things that we as a collective are.

For all the watchdog groups that make sure kids have their hands held and all the animals are treated right and no one hurts anyone else's feelings...we really haven't come very far at all. This homeland security bs is like McCarthy all over again.

this mullarkey about going with motorcycles/horses/etc blows my mind.

I asked weeks ago....sarcastically mind you.......if we were supposed to do a Hells Angel or James Dean thing...........sigh, I hate when that happens.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I never had a problem with it either...

This is what happens when a few bored people get together, strike up a "cause", get a letterhead, and talk big.

And the liberals who cave at the first sign of controversy, give these people whatever they want. When you start listening to only a select few and not the masses, things get done in a hasty fashion, and they get done wrong.

Same with these so-called "native american activists" fighting for the Indian cause, and fighting against any Indian-related mascot. Well, if they would just look at the facts, an overwhelming majority of Indians like and support indian-themed mascots (even the Redskins!)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Only problem I had with the logo is that it's ugly, dated, and needed an update.  Same guy with a newer look would have been just fine.

(Good grief, I'm agreeing with JQK.  Well, almost, I'm not anti-liberal.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived