Some arena football league news...

Brian in Boston

Well, the word out of Central Ohio is that Mark Hamister will officially announce the move of his AFL franchise from Buffalo, NY to Columbus, OH at a press conference tomorrow. He'll be joined at the Nationwide Arena by two new shareholders in the team: Columbus BlueJackets owner John H. McConnell and an "unnamed Dayton businessman" with a "serious corporate presence" in Central Ohio. Former Ohio State coach Earl Bruce will be introduced as Head Coach and General Manager of the team.

Apparently, the team will maintain the Destroyers identity in Columbus. No word yet on whether that is a permanent solution, or a single season stop-gap measure. The name could fit in Columbus... it certainly doesn't have to be Buffalo-specific (i.e. tying-in to the Navy Destroyers on the waterfront there). Still, one would hope that they at least change the logo. The only reason that there was/is a buffalo present in the primary and secondary marks was/is the place name of the host city.

Also, while there is still no definitive word as to whether or not Austin, TX is in as site for a 2004 expansion team, the potential ownership group there has taken steps towards establishing a team identity. Feste Capital Holdings has registered Austin Ropers as part of a domain name.

Stay tuned.

Brian in Boston

Another name I've heard is the Austin Power.

Yeah, baby, yeah!!!

And I guess the move of the Destroyers to Columbus and the naming of Earle Bruce as coach is good news for us in St. Louis, since the last time that happened the team eventually became the St. Louis Stampede!

The Ropers?

Imagine - Norman Fell (God rest his soul) as the mascot...

The cheerleaders could wear Audra Lindley-style mumu's.

And, uh, Pantone, are you suggesting something with your revised avatar?  Any inside info for 2004?

Well... it's official: Columbus, Ohio is now home to the Arena Football League's Destroyers. The team has removed the Buffalo-head (and the porthole that it was bursting through) from the primary logo. The result is a temporary logo that consists of the arcing Destroyers wordmark, with "Columbus" taking the place of "Buffalo" right above it. The official AFL press release did reveal that amongst future announcements will be the unveiling of a new logo.

Brian in Boston

So Long Arena, don't come back, don't ever come back. You will land in what is known as dead sports team hell along with Blizzard, Gamblers, Bisons' hockey, Braves, Wings, Stampede, and FFlies. Please don't ever look back please don't...

You forgot the Stallions.

I know there is a push to get a team here in St. Louis. I don't know who is working on it though. I think Bill Laurie (Blues and Savvis Center owner) and his brother in law Stan Kroenke (Rams part owner and Avalanche, Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner). I there is a team, rumor is it will take back the name Stampede.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived