Browns fire Phil Savage?

PittsburghSucks

I couldn't believe this when I heard it. With Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage the Browns had a great head coach and a good GM. I really thought the Browns would start making some big strides in the next few years. They are in great shape in terms of cap room for FA next year aren't they?

I couldn't believe this when I heard it. With Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage the Browns had a great head coach and a good GM. I really thought the Browns would start making some big strides in the next few years. They are in great shape in terms of cap room for FA next year aren't they?

Well, it now depends on who you believe. John Collins (President) is saying Savage isn't going to be fired; however, Mortensen is sticking by his report about Savage getting the axe.

As a Browns fan, I have been more than pleased with Savage's start. He brought in good players, and he also has the Browns in great cap position for next year (30 million under). Hopefully, this was all just a rumor that was blown out of proportion.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Savage would be welcomed in Buffalo. Donahoe is as good as gone (I Hope).

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

If they fire Savage it will rank right up there with the dumbest things the Browns have ever done. (and that's a lot of dumb things to live up to.)I really like what I am seeing with Crennel and Savage. It looks like the team may finally be headed in the right direction.

The truth on Mortensen is this. If I call him and say "hey I heard the Browns are going to axe Phil Savage" then he can say he has a source that tells him it's going to happen. When it doesn't actually happen then he just blames the source for bad info.

IIRC, "Mort" also said at one point that T.O. would defintely play for the Eagles again this season, that T.O was headed to Atlanta, and a bunch of other stuff that never happened. He "stuck" by those stories as well. His accuracy isn't 100%. It's more like 65-70% which still ain't bad but it hardly means we can etch it in stone once "Mort" reports it. Personally I hope this is one of the 30% he gets wrong.

BB52Big.jpg

If they fire Savage it will rank right up there with the dumbest things the Browns have ever done. (and that's a lot of dumb things to live up to.)I really like what I am seeing with Crennel and Savage. It looks like the team may finally be headed in the right direction.

The truth on Mortensen is this. If I call him and say "hey I heard the Browns are going to axe Phil Savage" then he can say he has a source that tells him it's going to happen. When it doesn't actually happen then he just blames the source for bad info.

IIRC, "Mort" also said at one point that T.O. would defintely play for the Eagles again this season, that T.O was headed to Atlanta, and a bunch of other stuff that never happened. He "stuck" by those stories as well. His accuracy isn't 100%. It's more like 65-70% which still ain't bad but it hardly means we can etch it in stone once "Mort" reports it. Personally I hope this is one of the 30% he gets wrong.

I followed the T.O. to Atlanta CLOSELY be it that I'm a huge Falcons fan but not a fan of Terrell Owens,and I can say that I heard Mort NUMEROUS times deny that T.O. would be going to the Falcons simply because owner Arthur Blank and GM Rich McKay did NOT want that type of distraction on their team...not to mention that he lashed out at ATL offensive coordinator Greg Knapp back in '03.I hear Mort about 5 times a week between ESPN TV,NFL live,and on ESPNRadio with Dan Patrick and Eric Cuselleous.Again I followed this closely as I did NOT want T.O. on my team no matter how he can play and I promise you 100% nothing I heard indicated he gave a definite of T.O. to Atlanta.If you can provide a source where he says it was a done deal then I'll give you that one.As for the other T.O. info he reported I cant say one way or another but I do believe you're correct on the other two points.

As far as the Browns and Savage go(to get us back on topic)...WHAT will they be thinking??Hopefully Mort or whoever is reporting this has their info wrong because it's clear to me that ownership has the right mix in place to get the Browns righted.

98Falcons.png

I hear Mort about 5 times a week between ESPN TV,NFL live,and on ESPNRadio with Dan Patrick and Eric Cuselleous.Again I followed this closely as I did NOT want T.O. on my team no matter how he can play and I promise you 100% nothing I heard indicated he gave a definite of T.O. to Atlanta.If you can provide a source where he says it was a done deal then I'll give you that one.As for the other T.O. info he reported I cant say one way or another but I do believe you're correct on the other two points.

You're right on Mort and T.O. going to Atlanta. Now that I think about it why would he report two conflicting stories on the same subject. It may have been Clayton or one of ESPN's other "NFL experts" (re: professional NFL jock sniffers) that said T.O. to Atlanta was going to happen. I did hear Mort say that T.O. would definitely play for the Eagles this season. I think it was on Dan Patrick's radio show right after the T.O. suspension. If it wasn't Patrick's show it was either the Herd or Sports Bash. Still the point remains that Mort is far from 100% accurate with his "sources from the (insert team here) stories. He misses on more than a few of them. That's the price you pay when your job is to get the "get" before anyone else does. You only need to be right a little more than half the time.

That said, it still would not surprise me if Phil Savage in unemployed as of Monday. I don't need one of Mort's sources to tell me that Savage will get "resigned" before this is over. Getting "resigned" is a term we used on my old sports talk show to refer to front office personnel that were fired but it was called a resignation so both the team and the fired person could save a little face.

My prediction...Savage "resigns" after the season. I hope I'm wrong.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived