WLAF 2

cyandlux

wlaf-cc.jpg

Any ideas that can further the Roadrunner idea? I like the wordmark but the Roadrunner has no feeling of the speed I wanted to capture.

Also I dont think I have the Triton quite right or do I?

I like the Trapper but Im not sure about the "trap jaw" behind him.

C&C as always, please. it is greatly appreciated.

I like the Portland Tritons. Very sharpe. However the Roadrunners is bland and needs a face lift. I would make it look more like the bird. The Quebec team is looking pretty good, except that you can't really tell where the hat and head are separated. I also think the light shading on the dark half of the face looks off some how. I can't put my finger on it though.

Bengalssuck.jpg

all of them are very well designed, except for the Roadrunners. I can barely tell that that's a roadrunner

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

ok, so you don't have to bump it again

the trappers - the eye is way off...looks weird - i'm also not a big fan of the shadow on the right side, but i can live with it - is the hat a coon-skin hat? if so, give it a tail to make that clearly obvious, if not...it works, i guess, but the shading or pattern throws me off - the "trap jaw" isn't good...lose it - the colors are alright, but it's a bit dark...maybe you can lighten the gray a bit to more of a silver - i like the wordmark a lot, but i would move the head down a bit to get it "snugged up" to the wordmark a bit more

the roadrunners - good colors, really good wordmark - the roadrunner is a bit generic, and as you stated, lacks movement - maybe try to work in some feet, somehow...not sure how to fix it, exactly, but it does need some addt'l work - i think this is the best of the 3 though

the tritons - i don't like the position of the king...he looks like he's sliding on his belly - give him a more regal position, something upright and powerful - the wordmark and logo overlap too much here (as opposed to the trappers logo/wordmark) - it's difficult to tell were the logo ends and wordmark begins - also, the triton below the wordmark is redundant and not necessary, especially if the king is going to have one in his hand - the "portland" looks out of place - it's not thick enough and looks like it's a different shade of blue

these are all a great start, but need to be tweaked, in my opinion (keep in mind that i couldn't begin to do what you've done, though)

how's that for c&c?

jldesigns404eo.png

Since you asked...

TRAPPEURS: the spelling, as mentioned before; try the "QUEBEC" above the team name - unless you wanted to go with "TRAPPEURS DE QUEBEC", it looks more like an afterthought, and it breaks up the clean line at the bottom of the wordmark... the hat needs some major work - my first thought was it looked like a headband or visor, because the charcoal area is the same color as the sideburns, there's no clear delineation between hat, head and hair... the shadow line is very straight and stark, real shadows don't fall on the face exactly at the midline and then straight down, there are contours on the upper lip and chin that need to be accentuated... the trap jaw is a great idea, and I would not lose it altogether; maybe it could be worked into the wordmark?

ROADRUNNERS: has potential; you can convey motion through the wordmark if you switched to a right-leaning italicized font... you can also convey more motion on the bird with legs - after all, it is a road runner, which aren't known for their flight, which is what I get from your rendering... slant the tuft of feathers on the head backward, as the wind would while roadrunning at great speed... there is a large straight line forming the back of the bird but it isn't aligned with the wordmark, which gives the entire logo a disconnected feel.

TRITONS: My favorite of the 3... I would move the wordmark slightly down, so that the "T" in "TRITONS" doesn't get overwhelmed by the wave that Triton is swimming on... consider a slight upward tilt to the trident; Greek mythology says it's bad luck to not have the trident pointed upward (Poseidon's luck spills out otherwise)... would Poseidon allow his son to use his weapon in the first place?

All in all, very good stuff. Take my two cents for what they're worth to you! :grin:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Thank you leggman01 and VitaminD for such detailed C&C. Ive made some changes based on what you guys said. I have to do a lot more of what everyone has suggested thus far, though. I may have an update soon.

Keep in mind Im actually doing 18 completely different and original concepts for the WLAF2 project I am going to post in February (hopefully), these three were giving me the hardest time in terms of not being able to figure out on my own what was quite wrong with them. So I thank you and anyone else that has posted or will be posting C&C.

Love the update for the Trappeurs. More colourful and better organization for the logo.

The Tritons logo is quite cool and the update also helped this concept out a lot too.

Hope you come up with something very cool for the Roadrunners logo because it has a lot of potential.

The first 2 have major improvements.

My gripe with the Trappeurs (les Trappeurs?) is the hat. Judging by the tail, it looks like he's supposed to be wearing a coonskin hat. But the profile of the hat suggests a knit hat ("toque" if you're Canadian) with a tail on the back. The shape of the hat needs to change somewhat and be less contoured if you're going with the coonskin cap - old pictures of Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone would help.

That's about it. I love the addition of the deep navy for the Trappeurs, and the Tritons has been my favorite of the 3 since the outset.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Well, you're right about the hat. Its actually beaver. What was I thinking? I guess I forgot what I was drawing and people related it to coonskin, which its not. Its a beaver pelt hat in the shape of a "beanie" (for West Coasters) or "toque" (for Canadians). So now I need to get rid of the "tail"....without that is the space behind his head awekward? Thats what I was thinking when I put in the "trap teeth".

Thanks for the follow up C&C.....keep it coming!

HUGE improvement on the roadrunner logo. I also like the target sign in the O of the roadrunners.

Great job, great improvement on this logo.

It's not a target sign.

It's a Zia, a Native American depiction of the sun. It's everywhere in New Mexico - state flag, license plates, as decoration. Very big deal, so much so that IIRC they're pretty strict about not using it for sports logos. Looking for help from the New Mexico crowd on this one.

2007nleastchamps.png

HUGE improvement on the roadrunner logo. I also like the target sign in the O of the roadrunners.

Great job, great improvement on this logo.

It's not a target sign.

It's a Zia, a Native American depiction of the sun. It's everywhere in New Mexico - state flag, license plates, as decoration. Very big deal, so much so that IIRC they're pretty strict about not using it for sports logos. Looking for help from the New Mexico crowd on this one.

You might want to chat with the New Mexico Scorpions about that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived