Chemistry... Hockey....together at last!

gojetsgo

Here's a logo I've put together for my hockey team - the CGSS - Chemistry Graduate Students Society. We will likely get uniforms next year, possibly with this logo.

I had a tough time coming up with some cool imagery for chemistry - glassware is pretty boring. I think this one is pretty cool, but it could use improvement. The logo was done in paint.

Please provide C&C.

cgss3-medium.jpg

I like were you are going. Still a little rough around the edges. I agree the font is to hard to read. A couple of cool touches would be those collared jerseys if they still make them and a pocket protector on the chest of the jersey too.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Or you could just freak out the other teams in your league with atomic structure drawings - something like adrenaline or testosterone. Or something with a lot of benzene rings and chiral carbons, which always class up a logo... :wacko:

(sorry... chem minor in college, and now I am having flashbacks)

As for your logo, the letters are hard to read, and I am not sold on what is coming across as a lavender as the other main color. The Mad Chemist with the orbiting electrons make work without the letters.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Major improvements with each step!

I get what you're trying for with the arrow, but it isn't working. You don't really have a stoichiometric equation anyway... you have the product of C times G reacting to form the products S times S, with no evidence of conservation of mass or charge. (CHEMISTRY GEEK ALERT!! CHEMISTRY GEEK ALERT!!)

Chances are, your opponents wouldn't get it either... they'd just ask, "Uh... what's with the arrow?" :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

For all I know, C and S can be constants... or CG and SS can be shorthand for different conformations of a macromolecule... ok, enough chemistry talk...

I really kind of like the arrow... but I'll draw one up without it to see how it looks. Stay tuned...

Really, really nice at this point. I like all the modifications so far.

What program did you use for this? It looks almost like a woodcut, with a lot of subtle shadows all over the face... like the black lines are the untouched portions of a relief, and everything was hollowed out. Very subtle, but very interesting - it gives a lot of texture.

I like this without the arrow. Although if you want to chem it up a little, you could change the initials to CGS(subscript)2. Just scientific enough to freak out the opposition! :P

2007nleastchamps.png

Very interesting logo. Glassware actually could make an interesting logo. You could personify a beaker/test tube playing hockey. Then again, I'm a cartoonist(not professionally of course), so that's kind of my thing.

As for what you have now though, it looks pretty solid. The use of pucks for electrons(I think that's what they are) is brilliant, I love it. I liked the arrow in the wordmark, but it looks just as good without it. I think it could use a little less shadowing though. Ovewrall great work.

Thanks for all the great advice. This logo is turning out to be one of the best I've ever done.

The CGS(subscript)2 is a great idea - I may just do it. Although we will then consistently be called C-G-S-Two, rather than C-G-S-S. Still, it's a cool idea.

As far as what programs I made the logo in: Each logo element was all done in paint - I still don't know how to use Illustrator (still, some of the best stuff on these boards - Sterling's stuff, for one - is done in paint). Once the elements were all done, I assembled them in photoshop. To make the shadows on the face, I selected just the logo (not the background), used the "emboss" filter, adjusted those settings, and then faded the emboss to just low enough where the effect is subtle. I like doing it when my logos are near complete to give it just a bit of professional touch.

As for glassware, I actually messed around with an erlenmeyer flask (the classic triangular flask) playing hockey. I even started making a modified penguins logo with the penguin replaced by a flask. But glassware just doesn't strike fear into your opponents like a mad chemist would. I also wanted to be as original as possible with the logo.

Very interesting logo. Glassware actually could make an interesting logo. You could personify a beaker/test tube playing hockey.

lol I made up a "Fighting Fernbach" flask for a promotion I had at my summer job selling scientific supplies. If I had any computer skills I'd draw it up on here but alas I am lacking.

As for the CGSS logo its 10x better than what it was in the first post! The UofA was a nice touch. I would suggest (as others have said) to change the font. I am not liking the G. But I may be nitpicking. I really like the pucks as electrons though and the S subscript 2 I think would look really good :)

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Archived