Golds-a-plenty

paynomind

Something I noticed during the college exhibitions recently were the many varied colors of gold on helmets. Watching any one gold-helmeted team, you could perhaps lead yourself to beieve Vanderbilt, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Tulsa, Purdue, Washington, Notre Dame all had the same tone of gold on their helmets, but they are VERY different. Yellowy, greeny, orangy... all sorts of colors.

(is gold the second-most popular helmet color after white? I'm just guessing)

Florida State and Vandy- (inthe background is Tulsa, I believe)

ALRC10401282320.jpg

Colorado and Notre Dame

ALRC10201282312.jpg

UCLA and Washington

XHU10301202237.jpg

UCF

XHU10901220530.jpg

Texas State

XHU10601220515.jpg

Pantone, any chance for some demos of the different golds? I know that Vandy, GT, UCLA are particularly different.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Georgia Tech

XHU10101220137.jpg

Akron

10frye.jpg

Purdue

16orton.jpg

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I love this topic. Every now and then, I search for school Pantone colors, and add them to a list I've made, and then I take photos of the actual team, and find the closest visual pantone colors to add to the list as well. The slight variations between official Pantone colors and the colors that appear on the field is interesting to me.

So far, I've concluded that Vanderbilt and UCLA use the brightest, yellowest gold. Colorado also uses a bright, yellowish gold. Florida State is a little darker, a little less bright. Notre Dame appears to use a coppery, warm gold. That's such a beautiful color. I love Missouri's gold, too, although they don't rock a gold helmet. It's a very intense, dark gold. Washington looks to use a light, but warm gold. I'm very interested to see what PANTONE has to offer on the subject.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Vandys certainly looked very yellowy, Notre Dame slightly green, and Tulsa more of a coppery gold.

I find it very interesting, the different interpretations of the metalic paint on the helmets. I'm sure some of the schools have a pantone that is really more for print or fabric, and the suppliers have their own interpretation for painting helmets.

ΓΔΒ!

Vandys certainly looked very yellowy, Notre Dame slightly green, and Tulsa more of a coppery gold.

I find it very interesting, the different interpretations of the metalic paint on the helmets. I'm sure some of the schools have a pantone that is really more for print or fabric, and the suppliers have their own interpretation for painting helmets.

While I'm no fan of Notre Dame, I have read many places (and also saw a small TV spot during an NBC telecast) that they make up their own gold paint that includes actual gold dust. Their equipment managers used to paint the helmets themselves, but now I believe they send them out to a nearby reconditioner. According to this piece they repaint them prior to every game.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived