Non-NHL could vie for Stanley Cup: Court

officeglenn

Two Toronto hockey fans have reached a settlement in a court battle against the NHL regarding who can vie for the Stanley Cup in the event of another labour stoppage: TSN.ca

... Under the agreement, the National Hockey League acknowledges that the trustees who control the prize can award it to a non-NHL team in a year where the league doesn't operate.

As part of the settlement, the league will inject $100,000 a year into hockey leagues for women and underprivileged children for the next five years.

The two argued that the cup's trustees ? Ian (Scotty) Morrison, former head of the Hockey Hall of Fame, and former NHL official Brian O'Neill ? could award it to someone else since the NHL wasn't using it.

Their argument hinged on determining what Lord Stanley's intentions were when he donated the Cup as a challenge trophy in 1892 and whether the trustees overstepped their bounds when a 1947 agreement (revised in 2000) handed its control over to the NHL.

The settlement does not mean the trustees have to award the cup in the event of another work stoppage.

This is certainly an interesting precedent. Nice to see these guys take on the NHL and win.

So basically, if there's another stoppage, they can make it the AHL championship trophy for a year, it's just that it will never happen, correct? Having said that, that is a pretty cool precedent.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

So basically, if there's another stoppage, they can make it the AHL championship trophy for a year, it's just that it will never happen, correct? Having said that, that is a pretty cool precedent.

I may be biased, but I'd let the CHL teams battle for it before letting the A get a crack at it.

I say too bad this was resolved a year too late.

They could set up an FA Cup style knockout tournament where all teams above a certain level get randomly paired off each round. I say go nuts and let in all the major junior teams and any pro minor leagues you can find. Heck, even let in NCAA hockey teams if there's room in the schedule.

You could end up with QHJHL or WHL teams facing AHL or ECHL teams until there's only one team left standing - HOLDING THE CUP OVER THIER HEADS!!

It would be sheer genius and all of Canada would pee themselves over it. :flagcanada: The USA would fail to notice however. <_<

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

It would be sheer genius and all of Canada would pee themselves over it. :flagcanada:

Yeah, I'm sure they'd be especially gleeful in Toronto to watch the Lubbock Cotton Kings parade around with Lord Stanley's Chalice.

It would be sheer genius and all of Canada would pee themselves over it.Β  :flagcanada:

Yeah, I'm sure they'd be especially gleeful in Toronto to watch the Lubbock Cotton Kings parade around with Lord Stanley's Chalice.

They'd have to beat the old Jacksonville Lizard Kings to do it. :)

Seriously though, court ruling or no, it'll never get out of the NHL's hands unless the league folds. The 'trustees' simply won't allow it, work stoppage or not.

nav-logo.png

Archived