Zimbabwe's secret police look into logo change...

nlenihan

Hi all...

I'm new to CC's Sports Logo Community - and just want to say how great I think this site is!

So, for my first posting - I wanted to bring to your attention a story, highlighted on the Cricinfo website a while ago - I'm not sure if you're aware of it... When Sports Logos go bad!

Daily life in Zimbabwe throws up some bizarre stories, but few as odd as the one doing the rounds this week concerning the Zimbabwe Cricket Union's new logo.

ZCU-logo.gif

Introduced in November 2005 as part of a brand re-launch, the new logo has apparently attracted the attention of the government's 'infamous' Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO) [secret police, to you and I] who, so the reports go, held an investigation into a possible hidden agenda.

The logo appears harmless at first glance, featuring three stumps, a white line (representing a boundary line) on a green background, and a cricket ball.

But that innocence was lost on the secret police which saw more in the emblem than most.

Instead of three stumps, it saw a letter M; the cricket ball became a D; and the boundary line became a C. That spelt out the initials of the Movement for Democratic Change, Zimbabwe's major opposition party.

It is probably more an indication of how paranoid the authorities have become about anyone opposing the government.

---

Wow...Interesting. Very interesting. After you pointed it out to me, I definitely saw the MDC and I'm sure that others looking for it would see it too. I was curious about language spoken in Zimbabwe, and English is indeed the official language, so I wouldn't be surprised if the MDC was intentional. Thank you for sharing this.

However, please explain "Only in Africa..." I hope you understand (if you're American), your government is as paranoid about maintaining its image just as much as other countries. Maybe we're not as facist on the face, but there are certainly American government spooks just like there are Canadian government spooks. "Only in Africa..." is not only untrue, but also insulting to a continent, a continent of which Zimbabwe can hardly be considered a complete representative.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

However, please explain "Only in Africa..."

Well... If you follow up on Zimbabwe and its crazy leader, Robert Mugabe, you should say "Only in Zimbabwe." The guy is upset at Hollywood because he believes the bad guy in "The Interpreter" was based on him. To get rid of crime in neighborhoods, he bulldozed thousands of ramshackle homes. See, no neighborhood, no crime. I could go on and on, but this is a logo board. I would bet that the logo makers spent time in jail, though.

As for this logo, the C would be backwards. Doesn't mean it's not supposed to be one, however. As for the bird, is it a national symbol, or a symbol for peace?

Wow...Interesting. Very interesting. After you pointed it out to me, I definitely saw the MDC and I'm sure that others looking for it would see it too. I was curious about language spoken in Zimbabwe, and English is indeed the official language, so I wouldn't be surprised if the MDC was intentional. Thank you for sharing this.

However, please explain "Only in Africa..." I hope you understand (if you're American), your government is as paranoid about maintaining its image just as much as other countries. Maybe we're not as facist on the face, but there are certainly American government spooks just like there are Canadian government spooks. "Only in Africa..." is not only untrue, but also insulting to a continent, a continent of which Zimbabwe can hardly be considered a complete representative.

The PC Police rule this board as well. Kinda funny how everyone rails against Houston 1836 bowing to PC pressure or the list of 100 other PC change stories, yet we all have that little bit of PC monitoring of everyone else's posts. Sad.

Wow...Interesting.  Very interesting.  After you pointed it out to me, I definitely saw the MDC and I'm sure that others looking for it would see it too.  I was curious about language spoken in Zimbabwe, and English is indeed the official language, so I wouldn't be surprised if the MDC was intentional.  Thank you for sharing this.

However, please explain "Only in Africa..."  I hope you understand (if you're American), your government is as paranoid about maintaining its image just as much as other countries.  Maybe we're not as facist on the face, but there are certainly American government spooks just like there are Canadian government spooks.  "Only in Africa..." is not only untrue, but also insulting to a continent, a continent of which Zimbabwe can hardly be considered a complete representative.

The PC Police rule this board as well. Kinda funny how everyone rails against Houston 1836 bowing to PC pressure or the list of 100 other PC change stories, yet we all have that little bit of PC monitoring of everyone else's posts. Sad.

That wasn't really necessary, was it? I pointed out an intellectual error on the part of the first person, he saw my point and graciously accepted fault, and that was kind of that.

Seriously, explain to me how it is justified to say that any kind of corruption or secret police activity can ever be demonstrative of any continent as a whole.

I'm not infringing on your rights to use stereotypes, be intellectually lazy, and rush towards rash over-generalizations. If you'd like to use those tactics to prove a point, go for it. I just think we can do better.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wow...Interesting.  Very interesting.  After you pointed it out to me, I definitely saw the MDC and I'm sure that others looking for it would see it too.  I was curious about language spoken in Zimbabwe, and English is indeed the official language, so I wouldn't be surprised if the MDC was intentional.  Thank you for sharing this.

However, please explain "Only in Africa..."  I hope you understand (if you're American), your government is as paranoid about maintaining its image just as much as other countries.  Maybe we're not as facist on the face, but there are certainly American government spooks just like there are Canadian government spooks.  "Only in Africa..." is not only untrue, but also insulting to a continent, a continent of which Zimbabwe can hardly be considered a complete representative.

That wasn't really necessary, was it? I pointed out an intellectual error on the part of the first person, he saw my point and graciously accepted fault, and that was kind of that.

Seriously, explain to me how it is justified to say that any kind of corruption or secret police activity can ever be demonstrative of any continent as a whole.

I'm not infringing on your rights to use stereotypes, be intellectually lazy, and rush towards rash over-generalizations. If you'd like to use those tactics to prove a point, go for it. I just think we can do better.

Thank you for pointing out an "intellectual error". You are PC my friend. The problem is in saying that the comment "only in Africa is insulting to an entire continent." The fact that you point that out and actually get the poster to apologize and remove it proves that he didn't want to be viewed as a racist or an elitist by posting it and you had the power to guilt him into that action It's that type of fear that eventually leads people to have to clean up everything they write or say for fear of offending someone else.

Aren't you doing the samething you're railing agianst by just assuming that he is some hillbilly that thinks everyone fits into stereotypes.

It seems 90% of your posts that I read are bitching because someone wrote one word that someone else "might" be offening someone. Well I'm offened that people can't say what they think because you'll come along and "might" find something wrong with it.

I bet 99.9999% have no intent of being a racist, but you go and brand them as one.

Please just lighten up.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Well exactly, he started off by saying that he was just correcting an intellectual error. That is a pretty elitist comment. That's an "I'm smarter than you and you're wrong comment."

Who annointed him the intellectual authority? I sure hope you are some kind of nuclear scientist, or nobel prize winner before you scan people's comments and decide if they are intellectually accurate and appropriate.

Archived