NCAA March Madness Confusion

MDesign

I don't watch much College Basketball but was pleased to hear that BOTH the Men's and Women's Ohio State Basketball Teams won their Big Ten Title outright.

But the other day the Men's Team played Iowa and lost and now I read that Iowa is the Big Ten Conference Champs.

Is there a difference between Big Ten Division and Big Ten Conference Titles? They sound like they would be one in the same?

If no difference then who actually won the Men's Big Ten Championship?

I don't watch much College Basketball but was pleased to hear that BOTH the Men's and Women's Ohio State Basketball Teams won their Big Ten Title outright.

But the other day the Men's Team played Iowa and lost and now I read that Iowa is the Big Ten Conference Champs.

Is there a difference between Big Ten Division and Big Ten Conference Titles? They sound like they would be one in the same?

If no difference then who actually won the Men's Big Ten Championship?

For purposes of the NCAA Tournament, a conference's tournament champion (if they have one -- the Ivy League being the exception) is considered the league champion and gets the league's automatic bid to the tournament.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So...Ohio State wins the Big Ten Title but, because Iowa beat them they are the Big Ten representatives in the tournament? And because Iowa and Ohio State have the same record they are both in the tourney?

There two titles in a conference in College Basketball.

The Regular Season championship is awarded to the team with the best record in conference play (Ohio State has the best record in Big Ten play, so they are the regular season champions).

The Tournament championship is awarded to the team who wins the conference tournament (In this case, Iowa).

So, Ohio State won the regular season title, and Iowa won the tourny title.

They are both in the tourny and they both would have been anyway. In this case the only affect the conference tourny had was on seeding. Some say if Ohio St. won then they would have gotten a 1 seed. Larger conferences get more at-large bids so you can still easily get in, even if you lose the conference tourny. Conference tournies in larger conferences are more about money than anything else. Syracuse winning the Big East and vaulting from a bubble team to a 5 seed by winning the Big East is more the exception than the rule; if Nova or Uconn would have won it nothing would have changed except maybe beating Duke for the overall #1 spot. In smaller conferences, the conference tourny winner is normally the only team to make the tourny, so it makes it all that much more important.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

There two titles in a conference in College Basketball.

The Regular Season championship is awarded to the team with the best record in conference play (Ohio State has the best record in Big Ten play, so they are the regular season champions).

The Tournament championship is awarded to the team who wins the conference tournament (In this case, Iowa).

So, Ohio State won the regular season title, and Iowa won the tourny title.

SWEET! This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks for all the replies though everyone.

Archived