First concept

DelayedPenalty

I posted some of my hand drawn concepts earlier, but here is my first computer generated concept. I used Roger Clemente's template in Adobe Photoshop. My school, SVSU, just got a Division 3 hockey that will play in the ACHA next year, so I thought I'd design a jersey for them (possibly me, tryouts are a couple weeks from now!). This is just the home jersey, I may do a road and alternate later. Let me know what you think. C&C are welcome.

SVSUCardinalhockey.jpg

That's really good for your first concept on the computer - a lot better than my first.

Imo, the jersey looks great, except for the red and white checker pattern. It just doesn't match anything else in the concept. It's the first thing that caught my eye, and takes the focus away from the logo and an otherwise nice looking jersey.

Imo, the jersey looks great, except for the red and white checker pattern. It just doesn't match anything else in the concept. It's the first thing that caught my eye, and takes the focus away from the logo and an otherwise nice looking jersey.

That's my horrible attempt at the mesh in the armpit :wacko:

That's my horrible attempt at the mesh in the armpit :wacko:

Ok - now I see where you were going with that. I thought that was the pattern on the uniforms and it reminded me of a picnic tablecloth.

If the side panel is supposed to be white, you could turn the checker pattern 45 degrees so it forms diamond shapes instead of squares, then change the red lines to light grey. Or you could put light grey dots on the white in an offset line pattern (like how the stars are lined up on the American flag).

And if the side panels are supposed to be red, just replace the light grey with a darker shade of red.

UPDATE!!

So, since class is over for me at 2:20 on Thursdays, I used the rest of my afternoon to work on my concepts. I added a road version of my original concept, as well as created a new concept based on some info I was given by the vice president of the SVSU Hockey team. He said that they are planning on using a modified New York Islander alternate sweater, recolored to red and blue. Here's what I came up with:

Original Concept:

SVSUCardinalhockey.jpg

SVSUCardinalhockeyroad.jpg

Isles Style:

SVSU-Isles3rd.jpg

SVSU-Isles3rdroad.jpg

C&C welcome as always!

Good stuff, especially for your first go-round.

Just a couple of comments:

1ST VERSION -

- if you used RC's templates, you should've used his mesh inserts. I know he has them, and they look more like mesh. I had the same tablecloth thought when I first saw these.

- using the school's full academic crest is a bit unwieldy for a hockey sweater. The red outer ring and the blue area with "1963" could be dumped without losing the central aspect of the crest (the triangle). The triangle, and the symbols inside, would actually make for a pretty cool crest, and scrapping the other elements would allow you to make the triangle larger across the sweater.

- does the school have a mascot? It could be another way to go if you don't want to use the crest by itself, or if you wanted sleeve patches.

2ND VERSION -

- that number font is going to be very tricky to use. As it is, that "6" looks a lot like an "8". I'm guessing that the "5" and "9" will look similar, and maybe even the "2" and "0". That's an awful lot of numbers to confuse when you're trying to identify players on the ice moving at high speeds. To remedy this, thin out the outline or remove it altogether. Also, trim down the serifs on the numbers, so only an "8" looks like an "8".

- smooth out the edges of your numbers. Everything else looks nice and finished, but the number edges look rough and stick out like sore thumbs.

- finish out the white border around the blue areas. I actually like the Isles style more than the Sharks style here, and I even like your colors better than the traffic-cone orange the Isles use with this pattern. But the white seems to stop arbitrarily at about the elbows, and it's missing around the shoulder yoke altogether.

All in all, very nice stuff, with some real potential. I could see these being worn. Well done!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

1ST VERSION -

- if you used RC's templates, you should've used his mesh inserts.  I know he has them, and they look more like mesh.  I had the same tablecloth thought when I first saw these.

- using the school's full academic crest is a bit unwieldy for a hockey sweater.  The red outer ring and the blue area with "1963" could be dumped without losing the central aspect of the crest (the triangle).  The triangle, and the symbols inside, would actually make for a pretty cool crest, and scrapping the other elements would allow you to make the triangle larger across the sweater.

- does the school have a mascot?  It could be another way to go if you don't want to use the crest by itself, or if you wanted sleeve patches.

2ND VERSION -

- that number font is going to be very tricky to use.  As it is, that "6" looks a lot like an "8".  I'm guessing that the "5" and "9" will look similar, and maybe even the "2" and "0".  That's an awful lot of numbers to confuse when you're trying to identify players on the ice moving at high speeds.  To remedy this, thin out the outline or remove it altogether.  Also, trim down the serifs on the numbers, so only an "8" looks like an "8".

- smooth out the edges of your numbers.  Everything else looks nice and finished, but the number edges look rough and stick out like sore thumbs.

- finish out the white border around the blue areas.  I actually like the Isles style more than the Sharks style here, and I even like your colors better than the traffic-cone orange the Isles use with this pattern.  But the white seems to stop arbitrarily at about the elbows, and it's missing around the shoulder yoke altogether.

All in all, very nice stuff, with some real potential.  I could see these being worn.  Well done!

Thanks for the input VitaminD. I took some of your ideas and came up with this new concept. I changed the logo to our mascot (the Cardinals), I switched the name font and number to one that resemebles (if not matches) the school's font (Stone Sans SEM ITC TT), and I extended the white lines all the way up the sleeves as well.

SVSUCards.jpg

I personally like the changes, I think it looks much better. Thanks for everyone's comments so far, keep 'em coming!

:flagcanada:

Archived