Harrington chooses Miami

Shumway

From NFL.com

Agent: QB Harrington seeking trade to Miami

NFL.com wire reportsĀ 

MIAMI (April 19, 2006) -- Detroit Lions quarterback Joey Harrington has decided to sign with the Miami Dolphins, his agent said, giving the team a backup to new starter Daunte Culpepper.

With Culpepper facing an uncertain timetable in his recovery from a serious knee injury, Harrington might be Miami's No. 1 quarterback when the season begins.

The Dolphins and Lions are expected to complete a trade soon, sending Harrington to Miami. The Lions decided a month ago not to retain Harrington, a starter during his four seasons in Detroit.

"I look forward to joining the Miami Dolphins whenever I am released or a trade is completed," Harrington said in a statement from his agent, David Dunn. "The Dolphins are an ascending team with great coaching, and I can't wait to get started."

The Dolphins barely missed the playoffs last year after winning their final six games. Optimism about the 2006 season rose when Miami acquired Culpepper from Minnesota a month ago.

Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels were the quarterbacks in Nick Saban's first season as Miami coach last year.

Harrington, drafted No. 3 overall in 2002, was 18-37 as a starter with the Lions under three coaches: Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci and Dick Jauron. He recorded 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions with the Lions, and his career passer rating is a modest 68.1.

"I learned so much in Detroit, and I will always value those relationships and that experience," Harrington said. "At the same time, I am eager to get to work with my new team, whether that happens in a day, a week or a month."

The Dolphins and Lions have been trying for two weeks to work out a trade for Harrington. Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said the team did not have a comment on the situation. Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene didn't return a call seeking comment.

The Lions are certain to part with Harrington before June 15, when he is due a large roster bonus. He likely will be replaced by Jon Kitna or Josh McCown, both former starters who agreed to terms with Detroit last month.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006, The Associated Press, All Rights ReservedĀ 

I'm glad to see him go somewhere, being a Lions fan. Millen, the idiot he is, is hoping for a 3rd round pick? That man is crazy. They'll get a 6th at best for Joey.

but isnt he making like 3 million if he is then its a bad trade for miami they should of just stayed with gus ferrote as the number 2 and sage rosenfelts as the number 3

Small problem there...Ferotte's wearing Golden Horns now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Small problem there...Ferotte's wearing Golden Horns now.

i know im saying they should of

Frerotte wanted out after the Daunte trade, so off he went to St. Louis with his butt-buddy Scott Linehan. As for Rosenfels, he was a free agent and decided to sign with Houston. Nothing you can do about that. Harrington would be a decent back-up. I would prefer a veteran QB who has been somewhat successful like Kerry Collins just incase Daunte isn't ready to start the season, but he's still holding out hope for a starting job. You can't go wrong with Harrington though. He's still young and would have a better supporting cast than he ever had in Detroit.

You can't go wrong with Harrington though. He's still young and will actually have a running game, won't have three first-round wide receivers out injured, and have something resembling an offensive line.

corrected for truth. I'm still a homer enough to hope Joey turns into a star, and that requires putting the proper pieces around him. Hopefully the change of scenery works out for all involved.

harperdc.gif

Archived