San Antonio Cavalry

Mings

I like the second set of wordmarks better; cleaner as you say. However, I don't quite feel the enlarged first and last letters of the words though. I would at least arch the bottom of those letters to match the rest. I might also experiment with making them the same height as the other letters too. I can't say that would look better, but it just might, especially if it winds up lessening the kerning space between the R and the Y. On the V, would it be possible to round or butt the miter at the bottom?

LT

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a baseball team, I would still use the version of the logo with the Alamo shape around the words and the three A's forming the windows. That's just too good not to use. Go ahead and drop the new V in or whatever.

Additionally, I would use the flat-shaded letters in the logo, but on the jersey I would definitely use the version with the shaded Alamo silhouette. It would be very distinctive, and a definite improvement on much of the extra-color beveling that's become such a fad of late.

Cap logo is tougher. Your lettering style doesn't lend itself well to a crossed SA logo. Maybe take the sword from your horseman logo and cross it like the traditional cavalry badge:

1750_tn.jpg

Your light tan on a black cap.

20082614447.png

Yeah, i have to agree that was one of the stongest parts, but with all the black, I don't know if it would look good on a jersey. I have already made it into an alternate logo. I will show it and some unis in a bit.

Here is one with a modified alternate logo, and a new San Antonio wordmark. This also has my first stab at unis as well. I didn't modify the V, because for some reason I like the way it breaks up the curve, but if more people don't like it I can change. Also I am weary on the added black outlines to the primary and alt logos. I don't know if they are necessary or not. I will also be working in the 70% PMS 451 color into the primary logo when I rework it. I am working on a cap logo right now as well.

v4_logos.png

v4_uniforms.png

So is it an upgrade so far?

Your wordmarks are much better this try. I like the subtlety of the alamo in them.

The main logo isn't really well suited for baseball and was better for football. But now I'm beginning to believe that soccer would be the best option for this shield/badge style logo.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

I would say I have to agree with you a bit there, but I think I can get it to work once I rework the silhouette and add the third (well sort of, its a 70% version) color.

I would love to get some more input before I revamp it some more in the morning.

Sword still isn't right, it needs a visable curve to the blade. Cavalry swords are slashing weapons, not stabbing weapons.

I know that. I mentioned in previous posts that I had not worked on the Primary logo yet.

I would say I have to agree with you a bit there, but I think I can get it to work once I rework the silhouette and add the third (well sort of, its a 70% version) color.

I would love to get some more input before I revamp it some more in the morning.

Normally, with such a strong shield/emblem feel, this kind of logo set would be better suited to soccer. But the team identity you're creating, with its rich military/historical connotations, make the heraldic emblem thing perfect even if this is a baseball team. Heck of a better shoulder patch than at least 25 actual big-league teams wear, that's for sure.

As to the uniforms, if that's your first draft, then give me a hand up off the floor. Talk about nailing it in one, sans cap logo of course. Two things I might consider changing: Darken that road gray a bit, so it's a darker gray than most teams wear; and make the piping three-color stripes of black, tan, black. The latter might not look good, but then again it might really tie the uniform together.

Oh, and for the sake of marketing, I'd look to vary the road cap somehow. Either make it all tan (the better to sell to the military audience) or all black (the better to sell to fans of the 1998 Mets).

20082614447.png

Normally, with such a strong shield/emblem feel, this kind of logo set would be better suited to soccer. But the team identity you're creating, with its rich military/historical connotations, make the heraldic emblem thing perfect even if this is a baseball team. Heck of a better shoulder patch than at least 25 actual big-league teams wear, that's for sure.

As to the uniforms, if that's your first draft, then give me a hand up off the floor. Talk about nailing it in one, sans cap logo of course. Two things I might consider changing: Darken that road gray a bit, so it's a darker gray than most teams wear; and make the piping three-color stripes of black, tan, black. The latter might not look good, but then again it might really tie the uniform together.

Oh, and for the sake of marketing, I'd look to vary the road cap somehow. Either make it all tan (the better to sell to the military audience) or all black (the better to sell to fans of the 1998 Mets).

Definitely agree with ya man. I actually tried the triple piping, but I didn't like it as much. I will go ahead and post it for you guys. I also have an alternate jersey in the works with a tan with black bill cap. I also went ahead and changed the grey as well.

As far as an update on progress, I have pretty much completely nailed down the alternate logo. It is not much different, but the differences make it pop. I am currently working on the horse a bit as well as making changes and bring in the third color into the logo.

Keep it coming guys, I appreciate it.

Alright gents, here is an update for you. I have taken the various critiques and applied them. The alt logo is pretty much done. I still gotta tweak the primary based off of further critique and do a cap logo as well.

v5_logos.png

v5_uniforms1.png

And here is the alternate piping that Ballwonk suggested.

v5_uniforms2.png

Okay, as a Saints fan I'm personally offended by the concept of the Saints moving to San Antonio. That being said, it's a really nice design that ties some strong concepts together. I especially like the "shield"/Alamo concept.

Not sure if it's the font you chose, or an effect you wanted, but the v kind of stands out because it comes to a point, rather than the flat bottom. I have to admit it's kind of distracting.

As for the cap, I'd almost go for just the crossed sabres on the cap, but I'm not sure if that would stand well by itself. As another cap idea, you can't go wrong the interlocking "SA" design. The font looks like it would lend itself well to such a design.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Its a custom font. I'll go in and change it around a bit and see what happens. I'm also going to adjust the SAO and CY from the wordmarks to make it aligned with the baseline right. Looks to be a little too high right now (thanks for noticing Mockba, I overlooked it).

As far as the cap, I was gonna try a combo. The SA with crossed sabres. I also plan on tweaking the horse a bit more, as well as the hat. The outline on the sword will fix itself when I make the sword a little better.

Thanks for all the C&C so far guys.

Alright, I think we maybe nearing the finish line on this one.

Changes made:

Revamped the sword and worked on the outline.

Reworked the shadow behind the horse's leg to be smaller (thanks Phil).

Fixed the baseline issue with the font (thanks Kev).

Added a cap logo (thanks to everyone for the idea).

I tried to do a flat V, but I didn't like how it looked versus the original.

So here is the update...I'm anxious to see how you guys feel about the cap logo. I put it on a black and tan background since thats how it will be seen. If you would like to see it on a white background let me know.

v6_logos.png

Thanks guys.

Hmmmm, no comments. I guess I went in the wrong direction on it.

No, we're just in too total awe to say anything.

Could I see the cap logo on a cap? That may help my opinion of it.

Me too. I have to say that your latest tweaks are bringing this into the top three or so of my favorite concepts on this board ever. And I hate black baseball caps, but this concept is so good that I don't mind your black caps at all.

20082614447.png

Archived