20 Years Later

McCall

Dying because of cocaine isn't tragic. It's idiotic.

There are no excuses for, nor should there be any sympathy for, idiocy.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I have to disagree with you on this, Shmee. Dying from a cocaine overdose (?) may be idiotic, but that does not diminish the tragedy of lost opportunity and of loss to the family.

Bias certainly made a bad choice, but so have most of us. Drinking and driving is no less idiotic, but I don't think anyone would say there should be no sympathy for someone who dies because they were driving drunk. In any death, sympathy also goes beyond the deceased to the family members and that sympathy is not diminished by the circumstances.

As my sig indicates, I may be biased (pun unavoidable), but I don't think it can be said that his death was not a tragedy (at least not on certain levels).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Dying because of cocaine isn't tragic. It's idiotic.

There are no excuses for, nor should there be any sympathy for, idiocy.

USING Cocaine is Idiotic. DYING from it is the unfortunate and TRAGIC effect, ultimately affecting the family and friends of the deceased more than the deceased themselves.

To this day he may be the most influential person in sports, for the wrong reasons.

ESPN.com article. 6.20.2006

I have to disagree with you on this, Shmee. Dying from a cocaine overdose (?) may be idiotic, but that does not diminish the tragedy of lost opportunity and of loss to the family.

Bias certainly made a bad choice, but so have most of us. Drinking and driving is no less idiotic, but I don't think anyone would say there should be no sympathy for someone who dies because they were driving drunk. In any death, sympathy also goes beyond the deceased to the family members and that sympathy is not diminished by the circumstances.

As my sig indicates, I may be biased (pun unavoidable), but I don't think it can be said that his death was not a tragedy (at least not on certain levels).

Oh, don't get me wrong. I feel the deepest sympathy for his family and those who loved him. None for him, though.

To jeopardize your education and an NBA career in that manner, though... how can I feel sympathy for a guy who had everything he could ever ask for at his fingertips and then threw it away for a line of dust? Someone willing to take that risk doesn't deserve the fame and fortune that would have been his.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I have to disagree with you on this, Shmee.  Dying from a cocaine overdose (?) may be idiotic, but that does not diminish the tragedy of lost opportunity and of loss to the family.

Bias certainly made a bad choice, but so have most of us.  Drinking and driving is no less idiotic, but I don't think anyone would say there should be no sympathy for someone who dies because they were driving drunk.  In any death, sympathy also goes beyond the deceased to the family members and that sympathy is not diminished by the circumstances.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I feel the deepest sympathy for his family and those who loved him. None for him, though.

To jeopardize your education and an NBA career in that manner, though... how can I feel sympathy for a guy who had everything he could ever ask for at his fingertips and then threw it away for a line of dust? Someone willing to take that risk doesn't deserve the fame and fortune that would have been his.

No, he does not deserve the fame and fortune. But he does NOT deserve to die. I only believe murderers, and I guess rapists, too, deserve to die (and maybe liberals....kiddin.) If he would have survived, a failure of a career, loss of fame, notoriety, or a dismal future altogether would have been his punishment. I don't defend what he did, not the least bit. I'm against drugs of any kind, no matter how little you (people in general) may use it. But I still don't think people deserve to die from this kind of mistake. Who knows, HE may have been the type to change his ways, had he survived the overdose, and learn from his mistakes, and realize all that he had going for him, and how a good time with some blow was just not worth the risk.

Tragically, we will never know if that would have been possible.

It still is one of those moments you will never forget, just think of what could have been if he didnt die. Just think of what happened with the Celtics since that pick it was a seminal moment in sports history.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived