MLS All-Star Game

Fred T. Jane

Sure, it doesn't signify anything... but tell me it wasn't satisfying seeing a bunch of MLSers taking it to Chelsea.  B)

I'm a die-hard soccer fan and a supporter of MLS, but I couldn't have cared less. It was an exhibition. Nothing more, nothing less.

I saw Chelsea FC train twice this past week. Believe me: based upon my observations at those training sessions, yesterday's result doesn't come as a surprise to me. They're a team in the midst of pre-season training. They've yet to work newcomers into the flow of their system. They had everything to lose and nothing to gain (besides followers in the American sports marketplace - you should have seen the crowd at the Adidas store for their public appearance last week) in yesterday's match. And believe me when I say that I'm not a Chelsea apologist. In point of fact, I can't stand Chelsea. I'm a Newcastle fan, through and through.

Meh. Yesterday's result tells me nothing about the relative strengths of Chelsea and MLS. Nothing. I can't take satisfaction from Chelsea's loss, because I question just how hard Chelsea played.

Bottom line? This trip to the US of A wasn't about winning the game. It was about Chelsea expanding their fan base and the market for Chelsea product in the United States. Frankly, they didn't have to beat the MLS All-Stars to do that.

It was, for Chelsea, a preason-season friendly. Every club plays a bunch leading up to their seasons. Of course it's meaningless, no matter who they were playing in it, domestic or foreign, "all-star" or club.

Even though it was meaningless didn't count in any standings, didn't prove anything, wasn't a true best XI for MLS, is in Chelsea's preseason, etc, etc, etc... I still enjoyed watching Chelsea lose to the MLS XI. Sometimes, enjoyment doesn't have to hinge on some higher purpose or meaning.

Plus, it was an entertaining game. And that DDR strike was class.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

uhh, yea, World Cup 2006 - need I say more?

Yeah, that was ownage... or not. <_<

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Americans should never call themselves "professionals" in soccer. Thats an oxymoron.

..... I guess, I mean, when was the last time you saw an American soccer player take a dive?.... anyone? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm not saying that all American soccer players suck. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a sport on the rise here in the States, but honestly.... we're WAY behind other countries as far as talent is concerned. Soccer is considered "The worlds sport" meaning it's ultra popular in just about every country worldwide EXCEPT the U.S.

Yes, we might have a Professional Soccer League, but that doesn't mean we have the talent of real professionals like the ones in Brazil, Italy, and England. Trust me, I watched all the United States World Cup matches, and Landon Donovan can't carry David Beckams jock, thats just a fact.

Not to cause any controversy or anything, but as an American I have to say, we suck at soccer, and it's going to be a long time before we're taken seriously.

Archived