Y.A. Tittle "handle" helmet

MarkAtnip

Greetings All

I was crusing through some photos from 1954 when I came across this shot of Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch wearing a "door handle" jaw protector. Who else wore this thing and do you have any pictures? Also, is this the same one that Tittle wore? It appears to be different, but it's hard to tell.

54RamsHirsch.jpg

MVC-001S2.jpg

While it appears to be an actual handle it was actaully fabricated from fiberglass and is one of the first vintage displays seen as you enter the Hall of Fame in Canton.

MVC-001S.jpg

I found several interesting things while looking through vintage football yearbooks this weekend. More to follow.

BroncosSig.jpg

Lots of helmet stuff here.

I'm sure I saw the handle on there--as well as other lucite masks such as the one shown here.

Search around the site--based on your post I think there would be lots of stuff of interest to you.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Yeah, I've seen it on display at the hall of fame. I think they added that to his helmet after he broke his jaw, If I remember right.

That's what it says at the Helmet Hut link I posted above--the lucite mask was used by other players, but apparnetly could come off easily--so the "handle" is a stabilizer to help protect his jaw.

Looks cool though.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived