Most overrated and underrated players in the NBA

theone28

Overrated: Antoine Walker, Jermaine O'neil, Ilgauskas

Underrated: Gilbert Arenas, Elton Brand, Shawn Marion

I disagree with you about Jermaine O'Neal. After Reggie Miller left, he has indeed taken over the role as their franchise player and averaging 20.1 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 2.3 BPG (ESPN.com) only proves he is the real deal.

as for my three for each category...

Overrated: Tony Parker, Ben Wallace, & Stephon Marbury

Underrated: Gilbert Arenas, Chris Bosh, & Tayshaun Prince

Don't give me stats. Stats mean nothing. Look at this:

Player A - PPG 12.6 | APG 8.8 | SPG 2.3

Player B - PPG 13.3 | APG 8.4 | SPG 1.9

Player C - PPG 13.7 | APG 8.2 | SPG 1.3

Looking at the numbers, who would you rather have? The better scorer-C, the better assist man-A, or the better defender-A? Looks like you'd rather have A when it's all said and done right?

Player A - Brevin Knight PG CHA

Player B - Jason Kidd PG NJ

Player C - Andre Miller PG DEN

Who do you want now? Probably Kidd, eventhough he wasn't the leading scorer, defender, or theif.

Point blank, O'Neal is overated. He's not a leader, he doesn't make a single player around him better, and he's not clutch. You can't defend him with stats, plenty of guys have stats. Who has the game. O'Neal is a good 3rd option on a good team, nothing more.

Ben Wallace's stats suck. But IMHO, he's waaaay more valuable than J. O'Neal.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Dude, we're talking about the Indiana Pacers. This is a team who fought fans in The Palace at Auburn Hills. None of them are out to make one another look good, especially when they had Ron Artest on their team. Yes I agree, stats don't mean a thing all the time, but Jermaine O'Neal has proven that he is the franchise player on the Pacer squad. Who else do they have, Stephon Jackson.... please!

Not to mention the guys been an All-Star the past 3 years.

I'm not a fan of the Pacers nor a follwer of Jermaine O'Neal's game, but dude the kid can play, and he's proven it. I also think that with the '06-'07 season he'll be even more productive in that system seeing as they had a sub-par draft and with Peja Stojakovic bolting out of town for the New Orleans/Ok City Hornets (meaning they got NOTHING for Artest - stupid GM).

All I'm saying is he isn't over-rated and is one of the top 10 best kids to ever come out of High School and actually make it in the pros.

I trust Greg on this one. He actually tries to make the case to us that basketball is a sport we should care about! :D;)

Though I'd kind of disagree with the notion of Antoine Walker being overrated. Over the course of his career? I guess so, but he seems to have embraced the role player, ahem, role in Miami.

Here's my completely clueless list though.

Overrated: Stephon Marbury, Kenyon Martin, and O'Neil

Underrated: Elton Brand, Gilbert Arenas, and Sam Cassel

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I trust Greg on this one. He actually tries to make the case to us that basketball is a sport we should care about! :D;)

Though I'd kind of disagree with the notion of Antoine Walker being overrated. Over the course of his career? I guess so, but he seems to have embraced the role player, ahem, role in Miami.

Here's my completely clueless list though.

Overrated: Stephon Marbury, Kenyon Martin, and O'Neil

Underrated: Elton Brand, Gilbert Arenas, and Sam Cassel

I would agree with this. Any list definetely needs K-Mart on the overrated category.

IUe6Hvh.png

Dude, we're talking about the Indiana Pacers. This is a team who fought fans in The Palace at Auburn Hills. None of them are out to make one another look good, especially when they had Ron Artest on their team. Yes I agree, stats don't mean a thing all the time, but Jermaine O'Neal has proven that he is the franchise player on the Pacer squad. Who else do they have, Stephon Jackson.... please!

Not to mention the guys been an All-Star the past 3 years.

I'm not a fan of the Pacers nor a follwer of Jermaine O'Neal's game, but dude the kid can play, and he's proven it. I also think that with the '06-'07 season he'll be even more productive in that system seeing as they had a sub-par draft and with Peja Stojakovic bolting out of town for the New Orleans/Ok City Hornets (meaning they got NOTHING for Artest - stupid GM).

All I'm saying is he isn't over-rated and is one of the top 10 best kids to ever come out of High School and actually make it in the pros.

I don't deny your claim that O'Neal is the best player on the Pacers, but he's not a franchise player. There are only about a handful or so of those in the league anymore (LeBron, DWade, Kobe, Tim Duncan, Nash, maybe a couple others) and Jermaine ain't one of 'em...plenty of franchises don't have franchise players, honestly. Even "The Franchise" isn't a franchise player. :D

I don't care how many times someone made the All-Star team. Steve Francis (damn, I'm picking on this guy a bit, huh?) made 3 consecutive All-Star teams starting in what was a relatively weak Western Conference for guards. The West's firepower was in the frontcourt. Alternatively, O'Neal makes All-Star teams in what is a considerably weak Eastern Conference in terms of big men. Shaq, Howard, Ben Wallace, and who else? Bogut? Curry? Ilgauskas? Come on.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

A lot of you seem to have lists with overrated players that are near the end of their careers. Players such as Shaq or Chris Webber don't really have a lot now, but you have to remember, they've been in the league for nearly 15 years. When Shaq first came into the league, the guy was unstoppable - he was lean, he was big, and - dare I say it - athletic. Nobody of his size had been in the league before that day - there are big guys in the middle, like Oliver Miller or Robert Traylor - but Shaq could dominate. Now he's gotten old, fat, lazy and tired. He's been there before. He doesn't have much motivation.

Same with Webber. I can't go much into the details of his career since I haven't watched him much out here in the East, but if you look at probably the 95-99 seasons, I bet he was unstoppable. He could score, rebound, and pass the ball, but now, after so many injuries and the fact that he's about to enter his 14th season, the dude's tired out.

Overrated now? Probably. But their careers show that maybe six or seven years ago, they were a force.

Archived