America West Airlines

tBBP

Wow...TEN DEEP INTO THE SERIES!

I was going to wait until tomorrow morning to post this, but seeing as to how I somehow snuck up on (and crept past) the 200-post mark, I figure I'll go ahead and post this now.

Before I continue, here is a list of the first NINE AFL concepts I've completed thus far:

American Airlines

United Airlines

Northwest Airlines

US Airways

Delta Air Lines

Southwest Airlines

Midwest Airlines

Continental Airlines

AirTran Airways

List is getting pretty lengthy, isn't it?

And so, for Airline Football League Concept Series post #10, we continue into the land of the LCC's (Low Cost Carriers).

Even though America West doesn't exist as its own entity anymore, it still gets its own concept. I mean, come on--look at this birdie--how could I possibly pass that up? That identity package is simply TOO GOOD to toss into the wind!

Okay, storytime. The airline was granted its operating certificate in 1981 and made its first flight in 1983 (explanation of jersey numbers and name--as is the case with most of my concepts). The interesting thing about this airline is that in beginning, passengers could actually buy tickets on board the aircraft! (Yeah--let's see someone try that now--AIN'T happening.) Another little interesting factoid about America West is that it was one of the first airlines to "crosstrain" its employees--that is to say, train them in customer service/ticketing/gate operations as well as ramp operations. (Many airlines do this today, AirTran being one of them. Independence Air did it, too.)

This airline originally (and in a way, sorta kinda still does so) competed in many of the exact same markets as its chief rival, fellow LCC Southwest. It was wildly successful in the beginning, and it grew rather quickly. Of course (for those who know), growing too fast can be a bad thing. (Are you paying attention, JetBlue???) Losses started to mount after two years, and soon it found itself in bankruptcy. (Bonus points to anyone who can name the major U.S. airlines that have not operated in bankruptcy to date!)

By 1994, the carrier exited bankruptcy with a new corporate identity, to include a freshened logo and new colors and livery. Then, in 2005, as most people now, America West announced it would merge with US Airways, which had just exited bankruptcy itself and was aiming to restructure itself as an LCC. (Prevailing thought around the industry at the time: two failing airlines joining together to create one big screw-up.) In theory, it was a good idea, since America West had a strong west-coast presence (obviously), while US Airways was doing its east coast thing. (This is one of the things I never understood about US Airways: its main hub at the time was PIT, or PITtsburgh for those not familiar with 3-letter station codes, and it also had a hub at PHL, or PHiLadephia. Why have TWO hubs in the SAME STATE? For whoever cares, it also had a hub at CLT, or CharLoTte.) Oh, by the way: the original CEO of this company was Ed Beauvais; the guy who succeeded him--and who also holds the same title with the "new" US Airways--is Doug Parker.

So there's that story.

Now, about the concepts. I had some fun making these. I didn't go overboard--I actually scaled this one back just a bit to try to keep it halfway reasonable and fresh while still having a little pizazz to it. And no, these are not for the Miami Dolphins, although I guess I can see how one can make that assertion. I actually broke away from a few of my own rules with this one, namely with the helmet. For all concepts up to this point, my helmets pretty much matched the tailfin of its respective airliner (well, except Delta--and we've already been over the "flowing colors" thing.) With this one (and I had to fight myself to do it), I figured a white shell would look SO MUCH BETTER--particularly with the "home" set. So I said "screw it" and went with it. Take a look at the airline's livery one more time to see where my ideas came from. (And if anyone wonders how USAir came up with its new livery, I think you'll note its influence in this photo--in particular the watermarked streaks on the USAir jet that mimics, in a more curvilinear form, the zig-zagging of it's new little sister aircraft next to it). Speaking of that zig-zagging, it found its way into this concept, as well--although in my final draft, it isn't anywhere NEAR as prevalent as it was during my first couple drafts. Regardless, there's enough of it included to make notice of it without it dominating the concept (the primaries, that is). If you There's also classic linear striping included, and it mimics the cheatline of the America West livery. You'll notice the colors are flipped on between the home and away sets. Numbers are those of the Arizona Cardinals--again. But hey--this airline WAS born in Phoenix, and that's where the Cards are (didn't they at one time, albeit briefly, go by the name Phoenix Cardinals?)

Okay...now for the third outfits. If anyone wants to know how so much light blue got into my throwback concept, here is your answer. (The colors are a tadbit off in this photo--but trust me, that's light blue striping.) I don't know if that sky blue-ish color was in their official scheme back them or not, or maybe it was included because it IS the color of the sky--but regardless, it's on the plane, and thus, it's in my concept. That striping at the tip of the tailfin is cloned on the socks; triple-striping is elsewhere. Also, note how the logo on the tail also has stripes extending out on both sides. You'll find that feature on the sleeves. And as for the numbers, well...pulled from the wordmark on the side of the plane. Could that work in real-life? Maybe. UCLA used a font sinilar to that for its numbers all those years (kinda wish they'd go back to them); back in the day, so did Nebraska.)

OH--and in case you missed it before, I've quietly surpassed the 200-post mark, and as such, I've updated my avatar and signature as well (I'll take critiques on that, too--and if anyone wants a similar one done, I'll take requests!)

SO...with no further ado, I present to you all...AMERICA WEST AIRLINES!

Let the C&C commence!

AmericaWestAFLrgb.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

everyday i come home and check if you posted another concept....this is a very cool concept....i like the three stripes on the dome of the 3rd....as well as the light waves on the home and away.....it might just be me, but i think that the stripes on the socks arent necessary.l....but besides that....great work...cant wait for the others.........

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

everyday i come home and check if you posted another concept....this is a very cool concept....i like the three stripes on the dome of the 3rd....as well as the light waves on the home and away.....it might just be me, but i think that the stripes on the socks arent necessary.l....but besides that....great work...cant wait for the others.........

Wow...guess I got a few more dedicated fans than I thought. Guess that mean I'm doing SOMETHING right! Thanks for the comments there dog!

I'm starting to realize as I get further down my list, I'm pushing my borders further and further. For me being a young cat, I'm actually a tadbit more of a traditionalist than a modernist, but that ain't to say I don't like a little "pizazz". I think this and my Midwest concept struck the balance between those two the best. Now, my next one I got in store...well, you'll see. For what it's worth, next up on the horizon: Delta's little offspring; the national carrier of my friends north of the border; a special "charter" airline borne by a company not known for flying, and a now-defunct airline that I really wish was still around...stay tuned! (apparently, I know SOMEONE will :D .)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

On any other uniform concept, the zig-zags would be extremely frivolous. However, they seem to lend themselves so well to the color scheme (teal is such a fun color, isn't it?). Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this concept looks Miami Dolphin-esque.

As always, great job and I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us next.

QPR%20Sig.png

I wonder whats next???? Sun Country?

Later...very later. But it's on my radar.

Another solid concept. I'm diggin' the subtlety of the zig-zags. It really adds something to this concept.

I have to say, this has been one of the best projects I've seen in a long time. Certainly one of the most well-thought-out since I've been around.

That's some high praise there...'preciate it!

Yeah these things take some planning and brain-warping to do. I mean, once I figured out how to do it the first time, I sorta kinda went with the same basic idea--but some of these airliners make it difficult to recreate their "look" onto a football uniform. Some, like American, make it easier than others. But regardless...I'm knocking them out--and making new fans at every turn, it seems.

On any other uniform concept, the zig-zags would be extremely frivolous. However, they seem to lend themselves so well to the color scheme (teal is such a fun color, isn't it?). Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this concept looks Miami Dolphin-esque.

As always, great job and I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us next.

The one guy I KNOW I can count on to say something each and every time (no slight to anyone else by that remark)...

As I was doing this I kept envisioning the NE Patriots jerseys from like '96-99 or 2000 or whenever they switched over. If you look closely, there's super-subtle vertical stripes in there--supposedely to mimic the U.S. flag. I thought about that while doing this--and almost did something similar with this one. But I didn't want to overkill it with the zig-zagging. I also thought about doing the zagging on the sleeves--but with the wy THOSE THINGS are disappearing now, it just wouldn't work. So socks and shoulderboards it was. Yeah--these are fun colors to play with. So, too, to a degree, are lime green and pink/salmon. (If anyone can think of where I pulled those colors from, you'll know what airline concept is up next...)

Anyone else with anything else to add...come on with it!

Archived