The Two-Faced Manufacturer....

GFB

Hey all,

After seeing what a great job Nike did on the World Cup kits this spring, then seeing all the harm Nike has done to football and basketball teams everywhere this summer, it's made me think, "How can one company be so two-faced?".....

From the total unique and retro-ness of the US National team and all of the other countries Nike does, to the complicated, striped-crazy, one-style-fits-all jerseys Nike uses for their football and basketball teams, all stemming from the same company. Sure, they are all under different branches, but why wouldn't the other branches look at the results and the welcome the soccer jerseys were met with and take after their lead?

Am I the only person that lets this bug the heck out of me? Does anyone else feel the same way?

GFB

Hey all,

After seeing what a great job Nike did on the World Cup kits this spring, then seeing all the harm Nike has done to football and basketball teams everywhere this summer, it's made me think, "How can one company be so two-faced?".....

From the total unique and retro-ness of the US National team and all of the other countries Nike does, to the complicated, striped-crazy, one-style-fits-all jerseys Nike uses for their football and basketball teams, all stemming from the same company. Sure, they are all under different branches, but why wouldn't the other branches look at the results and the welcome the soccer jerseys were met with and take after their lead?

Am I the only person that lets this bug the heck out of me? Does anyone else feel the same way?

GFB

They are playing to two different audiences. The World Cup kits (which, by the way, they did not make all of them... Adidas and Puma had their hand in many) have to appeal to a wroldwide audience, whereas the NCAA or NBA jerseys are mostly American. And Nike believes there are more "progressive" potential customers out there who want to see two different colored sleeves or funky striping than traditional, block-lettered garments. They're probably right, too; us here on this board are in the minority when it comes to sports fashion. Most people think the new looks are cool and hip.

I think that he's trying to say that Nike didn't make kits for all of the countries that played in the World Cup and that other companies (Adidas, Puma, Umbro etc) made kits too. Or, maybe he's trying to sound smart, who knows?

image,Shane-spc-Williams,white,black.png

I personally didn't like all of the World Cup kits Nike made. I especially disliked the U.S. ones. I liked most of the Adidas ones and I liked the ones by Puma, Umbro, Marathon, etc. I do like the hockey unis that were mentioned above. I have not heard anyone who likes the new crazy football unis we are starting to see.

I don't even know what Nike did to Basketball and Football lately beyond some of the really bad examples mentioned on this board. I do agree that they did a nice job with the world cup (the teams they actually designed) but really messed up elsewhere lately.

In hockey I thought they hit their pinnacle by the 2002 olympics. Those were some classy uniforms and they sold very well outside of the 20's USA and Canada throwbacks. The swift jersey was a complete disaster as everyone knows. They've sold terribly in this country.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Archived